Author Topic: Finally some NP pies  (Read 16953 times)

Offline bakeshack

Finally some NP pies
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:22 AM »
Hi!  After 4 months of not being able to make pizza (new baby girl!), I finally got the chance to try some of the new tricks I learned here in this forum from, IMO, some of the best pizza artists out there - special mention to Craig & Omid. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge!

Caputo Pizzeria flour, 60% HD, 2.0% Starter, 2.8% Salt.  Mixed & kneaded using my KA mixer
Bulk fermented for 24 hrs @ 65F
Balled and proofed for another 8 hours @ 65F and 2 hrs @ 75F
Bake time - 70 secs @ 875F hearth temp

The crust is the most tender I have made so far and did not toughen up even after 3 hrs.  There was a slight crisp to the crust which I especially liked.  It was great to get the results I did after a long break.  I will need to get back and practice again especially in managing the oven so I can get a more consistent bake without burning some of the edges. 

1)  Grape tomato, fresh mozz, basil
2)  Tomato, fresh mozz, basil
3)  Chorizo, fresh farmed egg, pasilla chile, tomato, fresh mozz (Absolute crowd favorite!)
4)  Housemade guanciale, red onion, tomato, basil
5)  NY-style cheese pie in the oven (the children swarmed all over the pie so I was not able to take a picture post bake)

Btw, sorry for the odd angle in the photos.  For some reason, my brother took the pics top view.

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Finally some NP pies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:50 AM »
Congrats bakeshack!  The pies all look great!

Chau

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
Marlon, those pies look and sound incredible. I love all of them, however the chorizo, egg, pasilla chile pie is especially interesting.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
Thanks Chau and Craig!  You should try the chorizo and egg pie next time you make pizza.  It is a flavor bomb and your guests will surely enjoy it. 

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
Marlon

Those are very good looking.  Did you make a pasilla chile paste/sauce and spread it?  Also is that Spanish style (hard) chorizo or the "fresh" mexican type? 

I love the egg in that... Makes it that much more special

Thanks 

Scot

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
You got it!!  :chef:
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
Thanks Scot!  The egg takes it over the top, IMO.  I used the fresh Mexican-style chorizo and quickly sauteed them in a pan without the casing.  For the pasilla, I just roasted them in the oven for 10 mins, peeled, seeded, then julienned.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
Chile varieties go by different names in different regions. Around here, pasilla is a dried chile. Is that what you are using?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
Dear Bakeshack, thank you for the pictures of your delightful pizzas! What kind of wood-fired oven do you use, or who constructed it? Is the dome all bricks? I would love to see a picture of the entire oven. Good night!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
Bill, I am using the fresh chile.  Here in Southern California, the Poblano is labeled as Pasilla. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
Omid, I have a homemade WFO - 100% firebricks with refractory mortar, 3" floor insulation and 3" dome insulation using ceramic fiber board and blanket.  I got crazy and just went with it without any formal plans but just some pictures and videos of WFO being built online and an idea in my mind of how I would like to build the oven.  I finished the oven in 4 weeks including the curing period.  Looking back, I should have downloaded a real plan for WFO but then again, I am not that type of guy.   ;D 

The oven has a 40" interior diameter, 15.5" dome height in the center, 18" W x 10" H oven opening.  Here are some pics of the oven.  I have not found the time to finish the exterior of the oven as well as the counterspace but I hope to do so before end of the year. 

Marlon

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:26:39 AM »
Omid, I have a homemade WFO - 100% firebricks with refractory mortar, 3" floor insulation and 3" dome insulation using ceramic fiber board and blanket. . . .

Dear Marlon, I thank you for the pictures. They are very tantalizing! Good night.
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
Here in Mexico Chilaca chilies when dried are called Pasilla chile. It is a longer thinner chile than a Poblano which when dried is called an Ancho chile. I make my own chorizo as Mexican brands are frankly greasy and use food coloring.
Don
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:07:44 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »
Bill, I am using the fresh chile.  Here in Southern California, the Poblano is labeled as Pasilla. 

I see. A store would get run out of New Mexico if they called a poblano that.  :D

Seriously, I agree roasted poblanos are a great topping for pizzas. One of my favorites is a topping of rajas (roasted poblanos sauteed with onions), queso oaxaca, and garlicky shrimp.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
Don is absolutely correct

The Pasilla is often times erroneously labeled as dried Poblano chiles.  It is in fact dried Chilaca peppers which are hard to find in the US in my experience ( not so hard here in New Mexico, as there is a large population of folks that eat chiles).  

The Ancho is the correct term for a dried Poblano chile ( which I think tastes like a spicy raisin).  

Scot
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:36:52 AM by pizza dr »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
Scot,

Pro's Ranch (recently opened a store in Las Cruces) has real pasillas. The dried chiles are spread throughout the store, so they can be hard to find among the many mislabeled chiles, but I have found real pasillas from Oaxaca there.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
Thanks Bill.. haven't made it by that store yet but I have its on my radar.  

I'll trade you the Pro's Ranch for either your Trader Joe's or Whole Foods... Take your pick ;D

Scot
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:50:28 AM by pizza dr »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 03:52:27 AM »
Tonight's Bake (Guanciale night):

San Felice STG Flour
60% Hydration
2.5% Salt
3% Sourdough Starter (kept at 70% hydration)

Hearth temp - 875F
Bake time - 60-70 secs

6 mins on Kitchen Aid mixer, 2 S&F cycle during the 1st hour, 24 hours bulk ferment (65F), 6 hours final rise (68-70F).

The dough was very easy to work with.  The flavor was spot on, overall texture was very tender even when cold, the crust was very light and airy, not chewy.

1) Margherita
2) Guanciale, red onion, chili flakes
3) Guanciale, brussel sprouts
4) Wild boar bacon, red onion
5) Guanciale, black truffle cream, mushroom, basil

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:15 AM »
continuation . . .

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »
They all look great, especially the margherita.

pizzapan