Author Topic: Arkady. trying to figure out what this is.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Arkady. trying to figure out what this is.
« on: July 16, 2005, 03:39:33 PM »
The old baker whos reliquishing his bakery to me brought me something the other day.  It was his fathers reference book from 1927.  This COMPLETELY floored me.  I love baking books anyway, but OLD baking books, i'm really crazy about.  Here's a pic.
Anyway, the book speaks of a dough conditioner called "arkady".  Is this just ascorbic acid and salt or is there alot more to it?  I'd photograph the article and post it but i think that would be some kind of copyright infringement.  Besides, it really doesn't say what it is.   If anyone can shed some light on the makeup of arkady i'd appreciate it.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: Arkady. trying to figure out what this is.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »
For what it's worth, Arcady is a region of ancient Greece. Different spelling, but may be related.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
bakerboy,

Arkady (Arkady Craigmillar) is the name of a company that was acquired by ADM (the former Archer Daniels Midland). If you go to http://www.admworld.com/naen/ and do a search for Arkady you will get a few hits on Arkady. If you search under "dough conditioners" you will get additional dough conditioning products. If you drill down into the documents you will find some of the ingredients used in some of the products, but many of the descriptions are general in nature (functional descriptions).

Peter

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:40:17 PM »
The old baker whos reliquishing his bakery to me brought me something the other day.  It was his fathers reference book from 1927.  This COMPLETELY floored me.  I love baking books anyway, but OLD baking books, i'm really crazy about.  Here's a pic.
Anyway, the book speaks of a dough conditioner called "arkady".  Is this just ascorbic acid and salt or is there alot more to it?  I'd photograph the article and post it but i think that would be some kind of copyright infringement.  Besides, it really doesn't say what it is.   If anyone can shed some light on the makeup of arkady i'd appreciate it.

I Googled it and it appears that Arkady Craigmillar was once a supplier of baking ingredients.

The new name of that company is BakeMark UK Ltd. They still sell Arkady products under that brand name.

http://www.bakemark.co.uk/brand_show.asp?brand=L302
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 05:45:19 PM »
Just goes to prove that if you want answers, this is the site to get them.

Offline nicodeamous

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »
I also have a copy of this book.

Arkady is described as 'mineral salts', the majority of which is Calcium Sulphate.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
You're on the right track.
The old bakers used the word Arkady in reference to the mineral yeast food that they commonly added to their doughs. Mineral yeast food (MYF) is a mixture of calcium salts, ammonium salts, and back then potassium bromate. It was typically added at a level of 0.25 to 0.5% of the total flour weight. Today, most bakers don't use MYF, instead, they use calcium sulfate instead.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Pizza is not bread.