Author Topic: Can I bang out a dent in my Blue Steel pan  (Read 1740 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Can I bang out a dent in my Blue Steel pan
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
So I ordered three Paderno pans and two of them came dinged. One is a blue steel pan and the other one is an aluminized steel pan. If I try to bang out the the dent in the BS pan will the coating come off? I was also wondering if I could wipe them with a wet towel. Matt said not to use water but the pans I got were kind of greasy looking. I wiped the pan with a dry towel and it was really dirty. Can I season the AS pan the same way I season the BS pan or should they be don't differently?

The first two pictures are of the aluminized steel pan, third is the blue steel and the last one is the grease I wiped off of the dinged blue steel pan.

Little back story. I called the company I bought the pans from to see if I could return them for new ones, they said yes. She said a UPS truck will come to pick up the damaged ones in a couple days and in the mean time she was going to send the new ones out right away. I got the new pans few days after the call but no one came to pick up the pans. I called them today to tell them that and they said if UPS doesn't come to get them by the end of this week then I can keep the pans and I wouldn't get charged for them. So now I have two free pans.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Can I bang out a dent in my Blue Steel pan
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
So I ordered three Paderno pans and two of them came dinged. One is a blue steel pan and the other one is an aluminized steel pan. If I try to bang out the the dent in the BS pan will the coating come off? I was also wondering if I could wipe them with a wet towel. Matt said not to use water but the pans I got were kind of greasy looking. I wiped the pan with a dry towel and it was really dirty. Can I season the AS pan the same way I season the BS pan or should they be don't differently?

The first two pictures are of the aluminized steel pan, third is the blue steel and the last one is the grease I wiped off of the dinged blue steel pan.

Little back story. I called the company I bought the pans from to see if I could return them for new ones, they said yes. She said a UPS truck will come to pick up the damaged ones in a couple days and in the mean time she was going to send the new ones out right away. I got the new pans few days after the call but no one came to pick up the pans. I called them today to tell them that and they said if UPS doesn't come to get them by the end of this week then I can keep the pans and I wouldn't get charged for them. So now I have two free pans.

David - I don't think they are coated (at least the blue steel), so pound away. Score on some pans! On cleaning, you can use water just don't soak them or use any soap and a scrubber. And obviously dry them immediately.

I am interested to hear your results with the aluminized ones.

John

scott123

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
Rather than pounding them, I might take a few 2x4s and clamp them over the dent. If you do end up banging them, try to bang them with as few hits as possible, as it might stress the steel and you wouldn't want to through the hassle of tempering.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Score on some pans! I am interested to hear your results with the aluminized ones.

I got the BS, AS and the non-stick one to. I wanted to see if there was going to be any difference between the 3.

Rather than pounding them, I might take a few 2x4s and clamp them over the dent. If you do end up banging them, try to bang them with as few hits as possible, as it might stress the steel and you wouldn't want to through the hassle of tempering.

That sounds like a good idea.

Using evoo will be fine to season both the pans right or should I use lard like buceriasdon said in the other thread? Where do I get lard from?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
EVOO is just fine. In fact, you don't really have to season them - just use them, and they will season. Brush oil on them before the dough is placed, and they will not stick. After awhile, you will need very little oil brushed in the corners only - or even none at all.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
Blue or black steel pans are simply carbon steel with a thin oxide layer applied by manufacturers to temporarily stop rust. Similar to gun bluing it is a chemical "seasoning".  Some use hot or cold baths, others use an electrolytic process for the deposit. If the surface is abraded it will begin to rust.
Don

scott123

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
This might be a little farfetched, but do you know who's good at removing dents from steel? Body shop guys.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
This might be a little farfetched, but do you know who's good at removing dents from steel? Body shop guys.
It's not far fetched when you mentioned using the 2x4 I was actually thinking of going back to my high school body shop and using a curved hammer and flat dolly.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:53 AM »
I would leave them damaged, but with a small touch of Crisco shortening on the bent spots, inside and out.  That should last a lifetime or so ? :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends