Author Topic: Dough ball weight and size  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Kermit

Dough ball weight and size
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
Are there any rules of thumb regarding the dough ball weight and the final size of the pizza? Of course it all depends on how thick the pizza is. For instance, what weight should my dough balls be if I want to make a 13" NY/Neapolitan style pizza?

Online scott123

Re: Dough ball weight and size
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:28:08 AM »
For NY, it's always a good idea to work with the dough calculator and start thinking in terms of 'thickness factor.' 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

The thickness factor range for authentic NY pizza is .07 to .085, so, for a 13" pizza, that would be about 285 g of dough.

As far as Neapolitan goes, as much as I have issues with the mercenary nature of the VPN, their guidelines for doughball weights seem to be pretty close in line with what most places use:

Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification | Verace Pizza Napoletana

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
In this example what is the definition of "thickness"?  Crust our "field" the cheese, sauce and and on sit in?
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
In this example what is the definition of "thickness"?  Crust our "field" the cheese, sauce and and on sit in?

polishpizza,

Maybe this thread will help: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17813.msg172515.html#msg172515.

Peter

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Thanks Pete.  I need a captain and coke to absorb this link!!!

Scott:

Is there any link like the one below for the New Haven style/coal baked pies?

"As far as Neapolitan goes, as much as I have issues with the mercenary nature of the VPN, their guidelines for doughball weights seem to be pretty close in line with what most places use:

Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification | Verace Pizza Napoletana"

I have searched for New Haven pizza, coal baked, how to make a new haven pizza and I can't find any info...

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
PP, I'm oversimplifying a bit here, but New Haven is basically slightly thinner NY style baked in a coal oven.  The fast bake time and the intense dry heat from the coal define the style.

You have other variations, like the general omission of oregano, and New Haven's signature toppings, such as fresh clams, but it's still predominantly a NY style variation.

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
Thats helps greatly and gives me a direction.  Again, thank you very much.