Author Topic: Nancy Silverton of Pizzeria Mozza, Recipe for Focaccia in Los Angeles Times  (Read 7261 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline JimmyG

Norma,
Wow, that sure is different. That open crumb looks incredible. What do you think was responsible for the difference?
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,
Wow, that sure is different. That open crumb looks incredible. What do you think was responsible for the difference?

Jimmy,

I had thought the pizza made the regular way would be different than the focaccia, but not this much different. The oven spring, crumb and taste of the pizza made this way was very different.

I really canít say all what went into the differences, but do know this is a higher hydration dough made with fresh yeast.  The higher hydration probably had to do with the oven spring and the crumb texture.  I also didnít open the dough ball really thin, so that might have helped with the oven spring and crumb structure.  I havenít worked a lot with fresh yeast either (because sometimes I can find it in my area), so that could have made some difference too. Also, probably baking the pizza right on the deck had something to do with the differences. All I know is I would like to try to make a regular pizza from this same recipe again, but donít know if I want to make three dough balls to try it out to see if I would get the same results.  My mother wants me to make the focaccia again, because she really liked it.  I saved a slice of the Nancy Silvertonís pizza made the regular way for her to taste. 

Norma

Offline JimmyG

Norma,
Your mother is quite the luck lady if she gets to dine that wonderful looking focaccia.  :chef:
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,
Your mother is quite the luck lady if she gets to dine that wonderful looking focaccia.  :chef:

Jimmy,

Thanks, but I am lucky to have a wonderful mother.

Norma

buceriasdon

Although I deviated somewhat from the recipe I followed it pretty much to the letter when possible. No rye, I used Integral flour, and I did the fold and stretch after the first rise in the bowl rather than take it out. Not sure what difference there would be except more mess. I also cut the recipe in half for one 10 inch focaccia. I also add the rosemary to the dough rather than press it in. My little electric oven must be hotter has I finished the bake in almost half the time at 450F. I have to say a wonderful recipe for focaccia and well worth the effort to make it.
Don
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:58:36 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
I made this focaccia once, and will have to make it again. A ridiculously soft crumb is what stands out, as well as the crispy "fried" undercarriage.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
forgot the undercarriage shot:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Johnny the Gent,

Thanks for posting the photos of when you used the same recipe.  What kind of flour did you use.  Your crumb looks great! 

I meant to go back and try the recipe again, but I guess you know how it is, in that there is only so much time for experiments.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Thanks Norma!

I used low protein (9.8%) flour and a little bit of rye flour.  I don't recall if I used the exact quantity of rye flour as the recipe though. 
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Serial Griller

• I Love Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Just beautiful!

Duke,

Thank you!  How did you dig up this old thread?  I had even forgotten about it.  :-D

Norma

Offline Serial Griller

• I Love Pizza!
Duke,

Thank you!  How did you dig up this old thread?  I had even forgotten about it.  :-D

Norma
Hi Norma,
I'm a newbie to the forum and was just looking around and saw your focaccia.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Hi Norma,
I'm a newbie to the forum and was just looking around and saw your focaccia.

Duke,

Thanks for explaining how you saw the focaccia I made.  Best of luck to you in all of the pizzas you try!

Norma