Author Topic: Questions about leftover pizza sauce - shelf life - storage methods  (Read 1991 times)

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
A 28 oz container of crushed tomatoes gives me much more sauce than I typically use for 1 or 2 pies.  I'll usually throw the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge to be used at a later time, but if I don't make pizza again within a week or so I find myself throwing out the leftover sauce.  What is the max shelf life for leftover pizza sauce? Is there an optimal way to store it to extend its useful life?

I searched to no avail, but I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Questions about leftover pizza sauce - shelf life - storage methods
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
Why not freeze it?
Pizza is not bread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
one more vote for freezing.
Don

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
Thanks guys, freezing seems like the best option.  Are there an special preparations to take to ensure the sauce retains its flavor throughout the freezing/thawing process?  My thought is that I'll split the leftovers into 2 or 3 ziplock bags, and then thaw out one bag at a time when I'm ready to eat pizza that day.

parallei

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
You don't need to do anything special.  After all, it just crushed tomatoes......

Typically, I do one of two things; leave it in the fridge and use it on a pasta of some sort in the next day or so, or freeze it and use on pasta ,or in some other sauce or dish, over the next couple of weeks.  The hardest part is remembering it is there and not letting it go to waste.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
I actually make my sauce in big batches, and then freeze it in individual-pizza-sized bags.  I have one of those vacuum sealer deals but i'm sure a ziploc would work just fine.

I do this with pasta sauce too.   :chef:

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »
What I like to do is this-I,m fortunate to have a cash and carry restaurant  supplier in the area so buy 1 #10 can of full red pizza sauce and 1 #10 can of 7/11 crushed tomatoes for around $10 total. I go home and open both cans put it in a big pot and add enough water(its alot) to bring it to my desired consistancy. Then I have about 21 of those 2 cup gladware containers with the screw on lid I fill all those up and freeze them it takes up about 25% of my freezer space, but I love pizza! So when I want pizza I let it thaw out and I can try different spice combos all the time! Its more expensive buying all those containers at first (its like $2.50 for 3 of them) but I save money in the long run and I,m using professional products so I like It.
Jamie

Offline DannyG

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
My wife makes large batches and cans the sauce. No freezing required, just open the jar and spread on the pie. Works great.