Author Topic: SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza - Westminster, CA  (Read 326 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza - Westminster, CA
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
Firstly, I want to get my main issue out of the way.  SPIN! is NOT a Neapolitan pizza. The owners are either ignorant, deceitful or they just don't care.  In any case it doesn't speak well of their respect for the history and craft of pizza making.  By definition Neapolitan pizza uses unmalted 00 flour, is baked in an oven at 905F or higher (usually wood-fired), and baked in 90 seconds or less.  So this is a "three-strikes 'yer out" NON-Neapolitan pizza.  This is not a matter of opinion.  It is a fact.   

Based on the flour they use (regular pizza flour), the oven temperature (550F) and relatively long bake times (5 minutes+) this is closer to the pizza you get at the Chipotle-style pizza chains, except the dough is hand stretched instead of being flattened by an ungodly sheeter machine.  Hand-stretching does make for a better pizza, but whether that makes it worth an extra $5 or so is up to you.  To be fair, the ingredients are a cut above what you'd get at the Chipotle-style chain places, and there is alcohol available, but it's short of the "elite" destination pizzerias.

Overall the pizza itself was a solid B+.   I ordered the #8 with sopressata (spicy salami) and Calabrian peppers.   Together they had a nice amount of heat, but it was just a bit too salty.   Next time I'll ask to skip the sea salt on top.

The service model is a bit unusual.  You order at the register when you enter, but then they hand you a bill wallet and a wooden number marker.  I guess this speeds up service by cutting out the seating rigamarole, waiting for your server to show up to take your order, etc.  However, paying a tip for just having someone bring you food that you ordered at the front register is a bit odd.  In my case, the pizza maker brought my pizza to my table, so it made it doubly odd that I tipped my server for delivering my lemonade.  They might as well just cut out the serving staff altogether and just call out  numbers to pick up your own food. 

The dining room design is OC-hip and there was ample parking during lunch hour.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza - Westminster, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »
Unbelievable. OK, it's believable - heck I guess it't not even that surprising. Definitely sad (as in pathetic) though.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
Too bad they ended up being so incorrect in the naming - whether intentional or not - it is wrong.

The pizza itself looks pretty good and a B+ is a really good rating, especially for a chain being evaluated by you (tough and knowledgeable critic).

BTW, I think some confusion reigns about the 905 degrees.  Some interpret it as the floor, but I think they meant 905 in the dome and 800 on the floor.  The other way around would be silly.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30118.msg300978#msg300978
Craig obviously has trouble adhering to the Neapolitan standards but I think he gets some slack.............. :-D
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
Craig obviously has trouble adhering to the Neapolitan standards but I think he gets some slack.............. :-D

Thanks. I appreciate the consideration.  ;D

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate the consideration.  ;D

Well, we know you try really hard...... :P 
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »
It's good to have supportive friends.  ;D

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
Haha, this is starting to sound like a pizza intervention:

"Craig, we all love you and that is why we are here.  We care for you and your pizza.  Sometimes, we know you cook at temperatures different than 800 degrees on the floor in violation of VPN.  You may not be able to get the certification and we know how important that is to you."  Or not.

But, I digress.....

On Spin! I see they are using open flame ovens - are they gas or wood?  Also, I keep seeing restaurant gas ovens running at as low as 500 or as high as 600 or so.  Is there practical use for that such as being able to turn out pies quickly?  Or is just for show and marketing?  Or?

Mitch

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
There is no wood in that oven, strictly gas and the digital thermostat was set to 550.  It does look neato compared to a standard deck oven.  Perception is reality.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »
I'd have little issue with someone using gas for NP commercially, but 550F and calling it NP - inexcusable. It's one thing to let the oven cool a bit too much and have the bake time on a few pies drag out - that shouldn't happen, but it's kind of understandable. Knowingly setting a thermostat to 550F is something different altogether.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:29:41 PM »
Looks tasty Jsaras. I will try to get over there to try it out.

Offline Gags

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »
I stopped in one of these out of morbid curiosity when they opened next to my olive oil source in Los Alamitos.

Horrific.  I had a beer and watched them prepare to ball their dough. 

You should see how much cooking spray they coat the bulk dough and the dough balls with.

The spray smelled and looked gross and I left.
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

pizzapan