Author Topic: Should I throw this Lehmann dough out and start over?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Should I throw this Lehmann dough out and start over?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Norma,

I was just goofing off.  ;D

I don't think it's ever been done on the "Mythbusters" show where they used a dough ball as a cannonball. But given the last accident, I don't see them doing a project where a cannon's involved any time soon.

Mike,

I don't think "Mythbusters" would think a cannonball dough ball would be very funny either, but I am getting a charge out of thinking about it.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
Well, since I learned from Peter in this thread that the ultragrain flour and rye flour need more hydration than the last formula I posted, I mixed another dough this evening.  I used 81% hydration and upped the cake yeast.  At least this dough feels normal.  This dough is only for a 12” pizza, because I didn’t have enough of the ultragrain flour leftover to make a 16” pizza.  I used the same percentages of the other ingredients and also used 10% dark rye flour and 90% ultragrain flour.  See if this dough makes a healthier pizza.  ;D

If anyone wants to try the ultragrain flour at least they will know from my mistake, that the ultragrain wheat flour and also rye flours need higher hydrations.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
The dough ball I mixed last evening with the increased hydration looks a lot better and is fermenting better than the rock.  The dough ball with the increased hydration is a lot lighter in color.  I guess that is from the whole wheat and dark rye flours soaking up most of the water in my first dough.

Picture of two dough balls together, dough balls both bottom shots.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
The second dough ball that was 81% hydration and dark rye flour and the ultragrain flour was used in the formulation turned out okay.  I don’t know why, but when I took the dough ball to market I reballed the dough ball.  I don’t know if the reball had anything to do with how much the rim rose or if the texture of this pie would have been different.  I really don’t know that much about using the types of flour I used in this formulation.

This pizza did have a wheat taste in the crust.  I really liked the wheat taste.  I think when I make this dough again I would add more salt in the formula, because to me the crust just didn’t seem salty enough.  Maybe it just is my taste buds.

The dressing for this pizza were dressings of that’s a nice sicilian “kiss of garlic” and Roland’s extra strong Dijon Mustard mixed together.  I just gently brushed that mixture on the skin.  Capicola ham was cut and swiss cheese bought at market was grated for this pie.  Also a blend of mozzarellas and grape tomatoes were added.  Thanks dmcavanagh for helping me to decide what dressings for this pie!  :)

PizzaBrewer (Guy) got to try a slice of this pie.  It was nice to get to talk to another member of the forum.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:23 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 07:55:46 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 07:57:32 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
Now, the “rock” or “drag Lehmann” pizza dough was another story.  :-D The dough got a little softer, but stayed pretty firm.  I decided to use a part of the dough, roll it and make it into a thin crust pizza.  The skin was docked and put into a greased cutter pan.  The skin was par baked, then the dressings were added and it was baked again.  Another part of the ‘rock” or “drag Lehmann” dough was rolled and made into three gingerbread men or a woman.  I named the three characters, Steve, Randy, and Norma, since all three of us are characters. The “rock” dough felt kinda springy when rolling it and sure was hard to roll. Just for the fun of it I took the leftover dough and reballed it and put it into the deli case in a plastic container to see what would happen to it until next Tuesday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
Norma

Offline jmk3911

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
Norma,are those "crazy bread men"?---LOL, I've been checking this forum for a few months now and find your information and pictures a very good source of practical application info. I am working on a NY style pizza and have a very satisfactory recipe that I have made my very own. It's all good. I do have one question of you though, what size ladle do you use to apply your sauce on a 15" pie. Thank you in advance.

John from Bethlehem,Pa.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:30:48 PM by jmk3911 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Norma,are those "crazy bread men"?---LOL, I've been checking this forum for a few months now and find your information and pictures a very good source of practical application info. I am working on a NY style pizza and have a very satisfactory recipe that I have made my very own. It's all good. I do have one question of you though, what size ladle do you use to apply your sauce on a 15" pie. Thank you in advance.

John from Bethlehem,Pa.

jmk3911,

You are right they are some “crazy bread men”.  :-D I have the bread men at home.  We try to have fun at my little pizza stand.

Thanks for saying you find my information and pictures a good source of practical application info.  Great to hear you made a very satisfactory recipe for a NY style on your own.  Do you mind posting your NY style recipe?  I am interested in hearing what it is and probably other members would be interested too.  

The ladle I use for my 16” regular preferment Lehmann dough pizzas is 8 oz.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.  :)

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
Norma

Nice lookin ham n cheese pie, how did you like the taste? I was trying to find the creamy mustard sauce recipe I used but I've lost alot of my info since a recent computer crash. Looks like you did just fine without it. The cherry tomatoes are a surprise but tasty addition. Although rye crusts are naturally a little heavier then  a standard dough, I'm a rye lover so I wouldn't hesitate to do more similar pies in the future. I think a pizza like this would be a great fit on a brunch buffet table.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
Norma

Nice lookin ham n cheese pie, how did you like the taste? I was trying to find the creamy mustard sauce recipe I used but I've lost alot of my info since a recent computer crash. Looks like you did just fine without it. The cherry tomatoes are a surprise but tasty addition. Although rye crusts are naturally a little heavier then  a standard dough, I'm a rye lover so I wouldn't hesitate to do more similar pies in the future. I think a pizza like this would be a great fit on a brunch buffet table.

dmcavanagh,

The ham and cheese pizza was really good.  I didn’t have the creamy mustard sauce recipe but just tried something with the Roland’s extra strong mustard and ‘taste of Sicilian’ spread I had on hand.  The blend of cheeses and the Capicola ham also gave this pizza a different taste.  I could imagine that spinach would also be good, if someone likes spinach.

I guess I am somewhat like you in that I do want to experiment more with rye and other whole wheat flours.  I just haven’t found the right formula or blends to try out yet.  I don’t know how to get a lighter whole wheat crust, but guess I will try to work on it over time. 

Thanks again for giving me the basic ideas what dressings to use on this pizza!  :)

Do you have any formulations for pizza dough using rye flours or combinations of rye and whole wheat flours?

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
Norma

Peter Reinhart's book "Whole Grains" has a wealth of info on dealing with baking whole grain flours. He uses "soakers", a technique of mixing the flour with water and letting it soak for an extended length of time before bringing the dough together. Check it out, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It is always available at my local library, I'm sure the same would apply for you. Try it before you buy it!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014