Author Topic: My 1st NY Style Pizzas - Glutenboy's Recipe  (Read 1692 times)

Offline ChrisG

My 1st NY Style Pizzas - Glutenboy's Recipe
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
This is my first NY style, so I chose the highly discussed Glutenboy’s recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.0.html I can’t find high gluten flour at my grocery store, so I tried two different flours I already have back-to-back for comparisons. It was also my first attempt at using the Expanded Pizza Dough Calculator (http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html) which was very easy to use for a 14” pizza with a 0.06874 thickness factor described by Peter in Reply #11 of Glutenboy’s thread.

SAMS BREAD FLOUR
-used Sam’s bread flour (10% protein instead of suggested 14% by most other NYs)
-added dry milk for additional protein and maybe browning like Pizza Hut(?)
Flour    178.74 g  |  6.3 oz | 0.39 lbs
Water   109.13 g  |  3.85 oz | 0.24 lbs
IDY      0.51 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.17 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
Salt      4.47 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.8 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
Dry Milk   7.15 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 4.97 tsp | 1.66 tbsp
TOTAL   300 g | 10.58 oz | 0.66 lbs | TF = 0.06874

KING ARTHUR BREAD FLOUR
-NO dry milk used
Flour (100%):       183.11 g  |  6.46 oz | 0.4 lbs
Water (61.0563%):    111.8 g  |  3.94 oz | 0.25 lbs
IDY (.282895%):       0.52 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.17 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):       4.58 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
Total (163.839195%):   300 g | 10.58 oz | 0.66 lbs | TF = 0.06874

-Both doughs were kneaded for 5.5 mins and very sticky to transfer out, but KABF was not as bad as the seemingly more hydrated Sam’s dough.
-A cold fermentation for 7 d in the fridge was done in covered 1 qt bowls.

-I preheated the oven to 500°F with a stone on the bottom rack for 1 h.
-Meanwhile, I forgot to lookup a NY style sauce recipe, so I quickly made up a sauce:
     •   28oz can Classico Crushed Tomatoes
     •   1/2 tsp. ea. of dried Basil and Oregano
     •   1 Tbsp white sugar
     •   2 dashes dried Red Cayenne Pepper
     •   1 dash Garlic Powder
I opened the can, pureed the sauce right in the can with a stick blender, added all the dry ingredients, mixed and let sit at room temp for about 30 min.

-I used only Semolina flour to dust and stretch the dough, and I also used it to rub on the wooden pizza peel.

-Once on the peel, I added ½ cup of sauce per pie and used part skim, added low moisture Mozz and a touch of medium cheddar (cheese wasn’t measured).

-After baking each for 7 min at 500°F on the stone, I let them sit for 3 min, then sliced.

Overall Impressions:
-The Sam’s Bread Flour + Dry Milk pie was disgusting! It didn’t brown more from the milk like I hoped it would and it actually looked a bit whiter in color than the KABF recipe. It was also much more difficult to work with the dough. The KABF recipe was pretty good in flavor and texture, although in both cases the edge crust didn’t puff up like I was hoping it would. The sauce tasted excellent, and I’ll continue to use it because it was so easy (no straining of water or technical mass measurements).

I enjoyed Glutenboy’s recipe, so I’ll hold onto this one and perhaps try to compare it to another NY style crust recipe while still using my simple sauce recipe in the future. I really like NY style crust, so I might look around at other grocery stores for 5 lb high gluten flours (rather than dealing with supplementing the flour). They are fun to make, using the pizza peel and stone, and the lack of oil and sugar in the dough keeps the dough recipe simple too.

Offline ChrisG

Re: My 1st NY Style Pizzas - Glutenboy's Recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »
The Sam's Bread Flour dough is the lower, more unappealing looking one.

Offline ChrisG

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
I clearly have to work on shaping the skins better in the future, but if you have any other criticisms or suggestions let me know.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
Chris, those are great looking pizzas for your first time making NY style.

A few observations:

NY style is traditionally fermented from a few hours to 2 days.  If you want to eventually work with a 7 day fermentation, then that's great, but, for now, I'd like to see you try something a little more traditional.

Much like the 7 day fermentation, cheddar is not traditional for NY style pizza. If you like cheddar, by all means, bake with it, but for now, I suggesting going a traditional route- whole milk low moisture mozzarella.

A puffy rim is a factor of good fermentation, which, with your super long cold fermentation might have been off, but, more importantly, a puffy rim is about a short baking time. You need a lot more heat- both from above and below.  Is 500 as high as your oven will go?  Is your oven gas or electric? If it's gas, is the broiler in a separate compartment? What kind of stone are you using?  I'm seeing a perforated pan- you're not using that to bake, right?

Here's a good video on hand stretching:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA</a>

Offline ChrisG

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
Wow thanks for all the comments, Scott!

I will next try a recipe with only a day or two of fermentation. I do really enjoy cheddar but I will try a whole milk low moisture next time.

No I just cut all my pizzas on perforated pans because they're easy to clean. I did bake both on a stone.

It's a cheap 1/4" stone from Kohls. I actually was given two(!) as gifts awhile ago so if you think it'd help I could stack the two. Yes my electric oven has a bottom coil, only goes to 500F, and the broiler is a top coil. I have a thermometer inside that goes to 500 so that I have a wide range to confirm a certain temp (<500). Unfortunately, I'll be moving through apartments for the next 5 y or so :-\. I read some forum members broil during the preheat and switch to bake when the pie is in there but do you think an IR Thermometer would be needed to determine the stone's temperature?

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
Chris, from reading through your previous posts, it seems like you're interested in a variety of styles.  I'm curious, are you trying to get good representations of each style or are you hoping to master each, to the best of your ability?  If you're really serious about NY style, then, in order to get the best possible result with your oven setup, there aren't a lot of options.

Depending on where your probe is located, you could do a gentle oven mod that buys you 50 or so degrees and then combine that with 1/2" steel plate.  1/2" steel plate is heavy, but your shelf will support it, and, should you move, you can take it with you.

If you want to avoid mods altogether, this is my first time recommending this, but I'd take a look at silicon carbide:

Silicon Carbide Baking Surface

It's certainly not cheap (most likely $130ish with shipping for an 18 x 18 x 3/4 stone), but the numbers are there for quick bakes at low temps. The other added plus is that this should give you a blazing fast pre-heat time. The weight also makes it highly portable. 18 x 18 most likely won't fit in every oven, but you want to go as big as possible.  If you do go with 16 x 16, make sure it's 3/4, because you will need the thermal mass. Here's a site with what seems to be pretty reasonable prices.

http://kilnshelf.com/conventional-silicon-carbide-kiln-shelves

This is all based on the premise that you want to make the best NY style pizza you can possibly make.  If, on the other hand, you're looking for something just good, then you might get a little more out of your current stones by stacking them, as well as using the broiler during the bake.  Are the Kohl stones perfectly flat? Do they stack on each other with 0 gap in between?

Offline ChrisG

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
Yes, for now I'm trying to make good representatives of different pizza styles. After that I plan to decide which to focus more attention on. I'm glad you pointed out the SiC option and I'll keep that bookmarked and written down under NY style recipes but for now I'm trying to keep a low budget. I quickly gave up/avoided the Neopolitan style but maybe even NY style with a 500F oven is like trying to drag race with a riding lawnmower:-\.

I made two more 12" tonight and am still struggling handling the dough after a 48 h cold ferment with KABF using a recipe Peter suggested in a thread for a newbie NY style. The Papa Johns is so much easier for me. I still haven't gotten a nice rim to form when dealing with the dough and I actually managed to stretch the second 12" to about 15" accidentally.

The bottom of the crust was too chewy I thought after a 7 min bake at 500F. For each this time I heated the stone initially at 500F for 30 min, then cranked it to broil for 30 mins, the stone was a little over 600F so I slid the pie onto the bottom rack of the stone switching to 500F bake. I noticed the temp inside got down to about 475 towards the end though. I broiled again while I ate the first pizza for 30 mins. Again switching to 500F bake for 7 mins I saw a drop to almost 450F inside the oven. Both crusts' bottoms were super chewy (too much for my liking), so maybe moving the stone up a bit would put less heat on the bottom crust? The whole milk fresh mozz (I couldn't find any whole milk low moisture) was excellent in both.

I couldn't actually find the second stone but they aren't flat on the bottom. The one I'm using is probably 1/4" or 3/8" thick 14" diameter.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Your pies look great and I look forward to seeing your new pies and postings!
 8)
-Bill

pizzapan