Author Topic: New England weather  (Read 1688 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
New England weather
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
I unbundled the WFO and took advantage of the 55 degree temps here to make some pizza. I usually put the oven to bed for 3 months and enjoy other styles for the winter, but for some reason we have not had snow fall yet and the temps are downright balmy. Usually we are below freezing around this time of year. I should have planted some swiss chard in September.

Also, I cannot get enough of this smoked pepperoni from Vermont. It is outstanding and miles away from production pepperoni, available here in NE at Whole Foods:

http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

Starter 5% of water, 2.8% salt, 64% hydration using CM 00 "Normal". Hand folds with autolyse, 12 hours bulk, 8 hours balled at 68 degrees.

John
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:01:40 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: New England weather
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »
Oh thanks John, the doc tells me to cut out the fats, and you lead me to great pepperoni! Maybe I'll cheat on "special occasions"! Thanks for the link. :-\

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
John, I've never done a pie like that - basically a Margherita with a light treatment of a really great pepperoni. I bet it is incredible. As you've seen, my pepperoni pies are always more of a plain cheese pie covered with enough Hormel pepperoni to where you can't see the cheese anymore. Don't get me wrong, it is very greasy goodness, but I like the elegant sophistication of yours very much too.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:24:01 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Beautiful pie John.  I'm in CT and enjoying the weather also, it's unreal but I'm not complaining.

I'll second that pepperoni - I picked some up at King Arthur Flour about a year ago,  I don't usually eat pepperoni but will occasionally throw some of that on my pizza.  Now I order direct from the company.  Their pepper snack sticks are good too.

Phar Lap

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
John,

Pizza looks awesome!

I am about 5 minutes from Mt. Sunapee, and I moved here from SLC specifically to ski in the winter...our N.E. weather this winter has been just bizarre...snow on Halloween, and then no snow on the ground in January  ???

Adam 

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Such a beautiful product, as always John.

Weather is nuts. In the 60s here on Friday and Saturday. This is the only winter I can ever recall where the Robins have not flown South for the winter....and I have not seen or heard any Titmice or Black Capped Chickadees wintering from father North while walking my dog in the park.

Either the birds somehow know the winter will be mild, they are in for a rude awakening or they know those Mayans were right after all and said figured it doesn't matter anyways!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:06:19 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
John,

Beautiful pies as usual!  I use exactly the same pepperoni.  I got their 6+1 free package online and I love it.  I paid the shipping charges but it's worth it since nobody is carrying their products here in SoCal.  Once you've tried it, you will never go back to the commercial stuff.

Marlon

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
Gonna get me a stick . I love pepperoni and its the #1 request on tour. I also loved the sopressato at Paulie Gees so I am also looking for that. Oh yeah better buy a commercial slicer too right  ???
weather??
I played Platform tennis tuesday night it was 16 degrees I played saturday it was 61 dergees?? what the?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
Thanks all! Today is pretty cold again, but there is still no snow in sight. I might just keep the WFO unbundled and see if I can sneak another round in next weekend. The Pizzarium thread will just have to wait!

John

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »
Forgive me John for this stupid question but how and why do you "bundle" your oven?  Does the cold somehow affect the oven when you are not cooking in it?  I live in southern NM and I pretty much cook on mine year round but it does get cold.

Scot

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
Also, I cannot get enough of this smoked pepperoni from Vermont. It is outstanding and miles away from production pepperoni, available here in NE at Whole Foods: http://www.vtsmokeandcure.com/Smoked-Pepperoni.html

Starter 5% of water, 2.8% salt, 64% hydration using CM 00 "Normal". Hand folds with autolyse, 12 hours bulk, 8 hours balled at 68 degrees.

John

Dear John, I had never heard of smoked pepperoni! I will have to try it. One question, please: what kind and brand of mozzarella do you use on your pizzas? I like the texture, consistency, and the way they melt on your pizzas. Thank you for your beautiful pizzas. Have a great day!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
Forgive me John for this stupid question but how and why do you "bundle" your oven?  Does the cold somehow affect the oven when you are not cooking in it?  I live in southern NM and I pretty much cook on mine year round but it does get cold.

Scot

Hi Scot - It is just wrapped in waterproof covering that you would use for outside furniture, and secured with cord. The main goal is not let melting ice or snow leak into the oven, not the cold itself.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:19 AM »
Dear John, I had never heard of smoked pepperoni! I will have to try it. One question, please: what kind and brand of mozzarella do you use on your pizzas? I like the texture, consistency, and the way they melt on your pizzas. Thank you for your beautiful pizzas. Have a great day!

Thank you Omid - The pizza pictured in this thread is fresh mozzarella from a company in Rhode Island called Narragansett Creamery. It is sold wrapped instead of in whey:

http://www.richeeses.com/

The other pizzas have Calabro Fior di Latte from Connecticut, which come in whey.

http://www.calabrocheese.com/

Both of these cheeses are "local" to me, and are available in markets in my area.

John

Offline vwbpizza

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »
John, What do you think of the Calabro? I've only tried the Whole Milk, Part Skim Mozzarella and it was okay but I wasn't impressed.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
John, What do you think of the Calabro? I've only tried the Whole Milk, Part Skim Mozzarella and it was okay but I wasn't impressed.

The Calabro Fior di Latte which I get fresh from my local market is of the highest quality I have ever tasted. And it performs beautifully in my WFO.

John

pizzapan