Author Topic: So, first Detroit Style attempt  (Read 932 times)

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
So, first Detroit Style attempt
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
After reading thru so many posts and threads on DS, I decided to try my hand at it. I had picked up a few pans that looked close to what I needed, but a little off size- 13x9x2.5 angled sides. One pan is of the original style with the sharp angled corners and the other, a heavier rounded corner (stamped?) pan. Both have a non-stick coating.

Meanwhile, using the dough calculator and some info from various posts, I decided to start with a 70% hydration dough:
Code: [Select]
Flour (100%): 497.16 g  |  17.54 oz | 1.1 lbs (100%KABF)
Water (70%): 348.01 g  |  12.28 oz | 0.77 lbs (purified bottled)
IDY (.2%): 0.99 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.33 tsp | 0.11 tbsp (Fleischmanns ADY)
Salt (2%): 9.94 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.07 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
Oil (3%): 14.91 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.31 tsp | 1.1 tbsp (Canola)
Total (175.2%): 871.03 g | 30.72 oz | 1.92 lbs | TF = 0.1313
Single Ball: 435.52 g | 15.36 oz | 0.96 lbs

I have IDY in the formula, but used ADY (in a portion of the water, warmed to 110)

I bought a WonderMix mixer for myself for Christmas and used the dough hook attachment. I mixed for about 5-7 mins, I lost track of time trying to keep up with what I was doing  ::)

After mixing, it was a bit of a chore to get the sticky dough from the bowl in to an oiled glass pyrex dish. It went in the fridge, covered, overnight about 18 hours bulk ferment.

I divided the dough the next day into 2 equal weight dough balls. These got pressed into the pans after I buttered them with cold unsalted butter. The dough was still a bit sticky, and I didnt want to add flour, so I just sprayed the top of the dough with Canola cooking spray to keep it from sticking to my fingers as I pressed it into the pans. It seemed to work well. The dough spread out nicely and didnt fight me to spring back too much. I let it proof for about 3 hours in the oven which I had warmed up a bit.

One pan got a layer of Hormel Pepperoni on the dough, the other got no meat between the dough and cheese. After the Hormel, I used cheese.. a LOT of cheese.. probably too much. I used 8 ounces of Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar AND 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella (Kirkland brand) on each pie. I topped post bake with a jar of Bianco DiNapoli sauce I had warmed up.

I baked in an ancient electric oven- 475 for 10 mins, 375 for 10 mins- bottom rack.

The results were interesting... I got a browned crispy cheese edge, the crust had a nice crisp crunch on the bottom and was somewhat light in the middle. BUT.. the cheese.. UGH, it must have broken down, because there was an oily mess under the crust- it was soaked with oil. Not sure if that was from the cheddar or the low moisture mozz or just because of the sheer amount of cheese. I lifted the pizzas out of the pans and set them on paper towels which helped a lot.

The pizza with the pepperoni wasnt much oilier than the plain cheese, so I have to go with the amount of cheese that caused the oil problem.

Also, the dough is not consistently thick across the pan.. is that normal? I probably will up the thickness factor to .13 from .12 to see if that works for me.

I will say I was pleased with the taste and even the crispiness of the bottom of the crust.

Detroit Experiment 2 is in the works and will be baked today. I'm using the same recipe with very minor changes, the major one being the amount of cheese.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:40:44 AM by surgtech2006 »

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
Re: So, first Detroit Style attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
A few more pics..

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
That looks like a very good DS.

I have used the Cabot Seriously Sharp, it seems to release more oil than some others. I use the "standard" DS size pans, 10X14 and 8X10. Usually I use two 8X10's so that there are more crispy edge slices. For the 8X10 I use 5 oz. Low Moisture Part skim Moz/Prov blend (GFS) and 1.5 oz. brick cheese. I get some oil on the bottom after baking but nothing excessive. You may have used a bit much cheese? Did you weigh it?

FYI, I use 265g dough for an 8X10 and use KABF.

Shawn at the Detroit Style Pizza Company sells pans if you are interested.

Here is one of mine:
Hans

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »
That looks like a very good DS.

I have used the Cabot Seriously Sharp, it seems to release more oil than some others. I use the "standard" DS size pans, 10X14 and 8X10. Usually I use two 8X10's so that there are more crispy edge slices. For the 8X10 I use 5 oz. Low Moisture Part skim Moz/Prov blend (GFS) and 1.5 oz. brick cheese. I get some oil on the bottom after baking but nothing excessive. You may have used a bit much cheese? Did you weigh it?

FYI, I use 265g dough for an 8X10 and use KABF.

Shawn at the Detroit Style Pizza Company sells pans if you are interested.

Here is one of mine:
I forgot to mention that I also used KABF, I added it to my formula. Also, I used Boars Head Natural Casing pepperoni on the top, the Hormel went under the cheese. As far as cheese is concerned, I weighed out 8 ounces of cheddar and 8 ounces of mozz for each pizza lol. Im cutting todays amount to half that. I'll go for 8 ounces total on each.. 4 cheddar and 4 mozz. Hope it helps. I plan on using the same recipe until I can get consistent results, only tweaking one thing at a time so I can compare more easily.
Your pies look really good! I was considering buying the other pans, but these seem to work ok. I DO however like the 10x8 size, so new pans may be in my future
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:47:47 AM by surgtech2006 »

Offline jonathan.copeland

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
Really nice crumb in the dough. Good work.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
I've dealt with this more than a few times in range ovens. You really need strong bottom heat to crisp the bottom well. Try baking on a pizza steel or finishing on a stovetop burner. If you explore the "two bills" thread you'll see when testing the pizzas in my work oven they always came out oily and soggy on the bottom. In my home oven they were always crisp. I think it's tough to bake in a pan in a standard oven because, instead of heat consistently and constantly penetrating from the bottom you have different airflow and the home oven switching on and off.

I was seriously worried until I talked to a few guys using the same pans as me (Lloyd's) in deck ovens. They all said their pizzas have no problem with oil/crispness.

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 01:16:58 AM »
I've dealt with this more than a few times in range ovens. You really need strong bottom heat to crisp the bottom well. Try baking on a pizza steel or finishing on a stovetop burner. If you explore the "two bills" thread you'll see when testing the pizzas in my work oven they always came out oily and soggy on the bottom. In my home oven they were always crisp. I think it's tough to bake in a pan in a standard oven because, instead of heat consistently and constantly penetrating from the bottom you have different airflow and the home oven switching on and off.

I was seriously worried until I talked to a few guys using the same pans as me (Lloyd's) in deck ovens. They all said their pizzas have no problem with oil/crispness.

I've been reading that "Two Bills" thread, I think Im around page 30 or so..  :-D

Experiment number 2 last weekend (pics to follow when I get time) I did reduce the cheese by half. I was happy with the result on the plain pie, but the pepperoni was swimming with oil. I will try microwaving a bit between paper towels (I think it may have been Craigs suggestion?) on the next pepperoni pie.

I also ran a quick side experiment today using another formula from the other thread (Buddys or Shields) and considering how I rushed thru it, I was pleased with the result somewhat. I was really just trying to see how a 75% hydration dough would work out in my mixer. I was short on time, so I pulled the pie a bit early, but it turned out better than I thought it would.

Yesterday I decided I was going to buy a pan from DetroitStylePizza and ended up buying the "kit" for about 60 bucks shipped- I figured what the hell, it's only money and I could use a pan gripper and spatula anyway, and it even comes with a lid and a bag of ingredients I could use to compare.

Same night on the way home from work, I stopped at Target looking for cheese and found a 10x14 Lasagna pan, non-stick coated steel pan which I ended up buying for 7 or 8 bucks.. cuz I needed yet another pan?

Enough rambling, I will edit my pics and try and post sooner than later.

Jerry

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
How do you guys get such good pictures of a pizza after you cut it? Mine always seem pressed down where I make the cut and I can't get a good shot of that.
Jeremiah

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Use a serrated knife like a saw.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »
So I decided to spring for the Detrot style pan from DSP. Ordered 8 days ago, still not even shipped.. Damn you, Amazon dot com, I'm so friggin spoiled with 2 day free delivery!
But seriously, at 16.00 shipping, I think I should have a pan by now..   >:(

Guess I'll be baking in my wanna be pans again this weekend,lol.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
So I decided to spring for the Detrot style pan from DSP. Ordered 8 days ago, still not even shipped.. Damn you, Amazon dot com, I'm so friggin spoiled with 2 day free delivery!
But seriously, at 16.00 shipping, I think I should have a pan by now..   >:(

Guess I'll be baking in my wanna be pans again this weekend,lol.

Be patient. Amazon Prime does spoil us. Sean is very busy running three stores.  He always gets them shipped!
Hans

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »
Need to update this thread from my last bake, since I'm about to start my third DS experiment and never posted the 2nd.

Same recipe, less cheese and less pepperoni. I cant find my notes, but I believe the cheese was cut back to half what I used first time around. Pepperoni I dont recall, I'll update when I find my notes.

On to the pics:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:18:23 PM by surgtech2006 »

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »
more pics

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
And the last 8 pics..
you can see from the pepperoni pie the grease in the crust, the plain didnt have that issue. These also got a bit screwey with the RTF because I transported them to my cousins to cook in his oven, it was pretty damn cold that day and I had the covered trays on the floor of my car for about an hour with the heat blowing on one side of them. You can see from the flatter sides my rise was off. Taste was a hit though. The grease not so much, although it was still on the crispy side, just not where I want it to be.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:18:51 PM by surgtech2006 »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
Jerry, your DS pies really do look tasty. Looking forward to more of your posts.
Hans