Author Topic: Steel Sheet with Stone under it?  (Read 257 times)

Offline bloodcraft87

Steel Sheet with Stone under it?
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:54 AM »
My oven only goes to 500 degrees and i'm having trouble getting the bottom of my sicilian pizzas to cook properly and thoroughly without the top burning and getting to dried out or the sauce evaporating to much.

Does anybody have any experience with using a stone underneath a steel cookie sheet pan for cooking these types of pizzas? Will it burn it to easily?

I usually butter my pans with real butter...im gonna try spreading the dough out earlier in the pans so they can rise as well.  Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks

Recipe: http://www.susanscookingschool.com/pizzadough.html

my pizza tends to take about 25-30 mins to cook a square pizza and the bottom is still to blonde

Offline JD

Re: Steel Sheet with Stone under it?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
Have you tried making this style again since your last thread? If you let it rise in the pan, it will be lighter and cook faster, and possibly give you a darker crust.

Regarding using a stone, it's more common than you think. I can only speak for NY style pizzerias, but they put their sicilian style pizza in a pan, then in a deck oven, which basically has a very thick stone. 

If you still have problems, try a generous amount of oil instead of butter.

Offline bloodcraft87

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
Have you tried making this style again since your last thread? If you let it rise in the pan, it will be lighter and cook faster, and possibly give you a darker crust.

Regarding using a stone, it's more common than you think. I can only speak for NY style pizzerias, but they put their sicilian style pizza in a pan, then in a deck oven, which basically has a very thick stone. 

If you still have problems, try a generous amount of oil instead of butter.

i'm making the sicilians tomorrow for dinner and im gonna let the dough rise in the steel pans for over 6 hours.  What would the difference between say olive oil on the pan versus butter?  Which is the prefered method?  Thanks for pointing out the deck oven is similiar to a stone, that makes sense to me now...Do you think my cook-time will be lowered dramatically with letting it rise in the pan and cooking it ontop of  a stone?  My stone pizzas with the same dough formulation take about 11-12 minutes to cook thorougly

Offline JD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
i'm making the sicilians tomorrow for dinner and im gonna let the dough rise in the steel pans for over 6 hours.  What would the difference between say olive oil on the pan versus butter?  Which is the prefered method?  Thanks for pointing out the deck oven is similiar to a stone, that makes sense to me now...Do you think my cook-time will be lowered dramatically with letting it rise in the pan and cooking it ontop of  a stone?  My stone pizzas with the same dough formulation take about 11-12 minutes to cook thorougly

Why 6 hours? That may give you a gum line from over-proofing in the pan. Make your normal dough, and press it to the pan 1-2hrs before you bake.

If you ferment correctly & proof in the pan, I would bet you shave some time off your bake time. I cannot guess how much because there are a lot of factors at play. Thickness of pizza being cooked makes a big difference in bake times, all other things being equal.

pizzapan