Author Topic: Just realized I used too little yeast  (Read 138 times)

Offline defence18

• I Love Pizza!
Just realized I used too little yeast
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
Question all. I've been slowly working my way through the newbie topics and have been making mainly the dough found in reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html. My wife likes her pizza a little thicker, so I've been multiplying the recipe by 2.25. I made the dough Thursday night, and just now realized that I never multiplied the IDY by 2.25 so there is only approximately 1/4 t in the recipe. We were planning on making the pizzas in about 6-7 hours. Can I remedy the lower yeast by taking it out of the refrigerator now?

Other factors: After making the recipe several times, I started using a mix of 90% KA Bread flour and 10% Semolina. I enjoyed the flavor and texture. This time. I decided to use the Varasano autolyse by dissolving the salt in the water, adding the yeast and 75% of the flour, which was all KA bread flour, and mixing for 2 minutes, then letting it set for 20. I then added the 10% semolina, but the remaining 15% I used AP to attempt to make the dough a little lighter and more airy than I have been producing. After that mixed together for about 5 minutes, I added the oil.

Thanks for the help.
-Dan

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Just realized I used too little yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
If needed, you can also put it in a warm (~90F) oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:50:20 PM »
I realize these pizzas have already been cooked, but this info might be useful to the next guy. I often screw up the math calculations on yeast. Recently I was making a 48 hour 68 degree dough which would use about 1 10th of a gram. I mixed up 100 grams of water and one gram of yeast and then used only one gram of that solution. Didn't realize my mistake until the next day. Dough had been sitting out for 24 hours. I dropped my 4 dough balls back into the KA mixer, added enough yeast for a 24 hour 68 degree ferment, a touch more flour, mixed it up, reballed and they rose great and came out fine to make some very tasty pies.

jb

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:08:40 PM »
Dan, So how did the pizza turn out and what did you decide to do?
If you made the dough the 25th and baked the 27th, you had approx a 48hr ferment.
I generally use so little yeast, that I have even played with the idea of leaving it out al together one time, just to see what happens?
Please let us know how it turned out?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan