Author Topic: My Driveway Blodgett w/Pizza pics  (Read 581 times)

Offline kwtrading

My Driveway Blodgett w/Pizza pics
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
A couple years ago I converted a Blodgett pizza oven to propane and custom built a dolly for it so I could roll it out of my garage into the driveway anytime I want to make pizza.  It's almost 40 years old and built like a tank!

I've made a few adjustments with the heat and my recipe and am starting to get results from her I'm really happy with.  Typical temps are around 700 degrees.  I could probably get it higher if I shield the thermostat sensor with some tin foil to trick it to go higher but right now I am happy the way it is.

Here are a couple pics from today.  The unique looking pie is caramelized onion, goat cheese, spinach and pear.  It was delicious.

Offline Jackitup

Re: My Driveway Blodgett w/Pizza pics
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
We need a "green envy/jealous " emoticon!!! Very nice.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
Respectfully envious for sure!  ... do you have a pix of how it looks inside with the door open?  Is it a high ceiling deck? or two decks?

PS: Snag the model number too if you can.  It looks like a nice size, better than a residential oven, and not the size and weight of a professional Blodgett 1000
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:31:53 PM by bigMoose »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:13 PM »
Respectfully envious for sure!  ... do you have a pix of how it looks inside with the door open?  Is it a high ceiling deck? or two decks?

^^^ You beat me, I was going to ask the same thing, inside pics and details
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:01 PM »
Hey there guys.  It's actually two decks and obviously not a huge oven.  So it will hold two pies at a time.  I'm slow though and generally just use the lower deck because it offers better browning to the top of the pie.  Eventually maybe I'll figure out a process where I can start a pie on one deck and then transition it to the other at some point and keep them flowing through.  For now though I'm just happy to get decent results one at time.  Generally the challenge has been to get the top cooked before the bottom starts to burn.  So I've shielded the bottom stone a bit underneath which has helped and I also turn up the heat after the pie goes in so that the heat moving past is hotter than the stone itself - again trying to reduce bottom heat and increase cooking heat to the top.  At least in theory.  Seems to be working though.

I'll try to take a picture of the inside tomorrow and post.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:27:46 AM »
kwtrading,

I am seriously envious too!  Your Blodgett is cool!  8) 

Norma

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:07:47 AM »
Do you have the propane regulator on the oven because your oven is set to run on a 500 or 650 thermostat.  They were built for Natural gas.  I don't know the science behind it but propane burns much  hotter and you might end up frying a lot of your components running it at 700 degrees.  Walter

http://www.partstown.com/blodgett/bl10441
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:09:55 AM by waltertore »

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Here's a picture of the inside.  The stones are 20"x20".
If you notice the little metal rod sticking up from the bottom of the door, that is the temp sensor or the thermometer I installed on the door.  When I did it I never thought ahead that it would be sort of in the way of sliding pizza in and out until the first time I went to use it!  I was like 'Doh!' (excuse the pun).  But it has turned out not to be a big deal.  Just takes a little more finesse to go over the top of it. 

Regarding the natural gas / propane conversion.  Yes, it now has a propane regulator on it.  Despite it being a pretty simple process to convert which from what I remember involved only changing the regulator and the gas nipple from NG to LP, I am not an expert at that stuff and hired the service company in CT that is authorized to maintain Blodgett ovens.  It cost me a couple hundred bucks but the technician has been in the business a long time and completely went through the oven.  He even told me what parts if any could go bad on it some day and what the symptoms would be.  It was really cool because he loved the oven and had never seen the exact model before.  He even called his wife to tell her about it while he was there.  I think he would have bought it off me if I were willing to sell it to him.  He gave me his cell # and told me I could call him any time with questions.  Great guy.

Regarding the higher temperatures.  The temp sensor on the oven is above the top deck right near the exhaust opening by design.  The temp adjustment on the oven itself goes from 500-650.  When I have it set to 650, the reading on the lower stone from my IR thermometer and my door thermometer are about 700.  The temp at the exhaust is likely closer to 650 and accurate.  The temp control definitely works because when it senses 650 at the exhaust it automatically shuts the burners and relights them when the temp drops a bit.  So since this is all by design, I have no doubt its made to handle 700 at the lower deck with ease.  It's a good point though if I were to try and trick it to go higher.  Like I said though, I'm perfectly happy with how it cooks now.  These pies are not 1 minute pies though by any means.  More like 4-5 with opening the door occasionally and spinning them.  I'm not the type to get hung up on that though. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:28:47 PM by kwtrading »

Offline waltertore

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
It sounds like you have it set up right.  Do you know how many BTU's the oven is?  It is about the same era as the ovens I run.  I wonder if you stones are the original ones?  Are there some numbers stamped on the side of the them and how thick are they?  Here are my ovens.  Kind of the big brother of your model :)  I love the vintage photo. It reminds me of the old pizzerias I remember as a kid in NYC and is the same oven we use and the same era as yours.  Walter

PS:  If you contact Blodgett I bet they will send you the original manual/spec sheet. I got that from them on my ovens.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 02:10:26 PM by waltertore »

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
Hi Walter,
I haven't been on the forum much over the last year or so but just read up on you and your bakery and soon to be pizza shop and move.  I wish you nothing but the best and can't wait to see your continued success.  You are a great example and inspiration for us all in so many ways.

That's a great picture of the old pizza place.  Love it.  My dad grew up in New Haven, CT and we grew up just a couple towns away and were raised on New Haven style pizza.  So that is our thing.  We are pizza snobs and have strong loyalties to New Haven pizza as I'm sure you do to NY pizza.  I love old pictures and a couple of the black & white videos of Frank Pepe weighing out his dough on an old fashioned scale.  Maybe I will convert my Blodgett to coal, LOL.

Although any evidence has long worn off, I'm pretty sure I figured out at the time I bought it that my oven is a Blodgett 90M-1.  The "1" version indicated it went higher to 650 degrees.  I never noticed until now but there was also a very similar (if not the same) model called a 90M-2.  When searching the web just now a forum thread on here popped up from 2011 with someone that had just purchased the 90M-2.  I sent the OP on that thread a PM just now in hopes of being able to compare info if he happens to still have his.

I'm not sure if my stones are original or not.  The upper stone is quite thin.  About half the thickness of the lower one and has a very rough bottom.  The thicker bottom stone is the same on both sides and way heavier and seems like any other stone I've used. 

Offline waltertore

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
Hi Walter,
I haven't been on the forum much over the last year or so but just read up on you and your bakery and soon to be pizza shop and move.  I wish you nothing but the best and can't wait to see your continued success.  You are a great example and inspiration for us all in so many ways.

That's a great picture of the old pizza place.  Love it.  My dad grew up in New Haven, CT and we grew up just a couple towns away and were raised on New Haven style pizza.  So that is our thing.  We are pizza snobs and have strong loyalties to New Haven pizza as I'm sure you do to NY pizza.  I love old pictures and a couple of the black & white videos of Frank Pepe weighing out his dough on an old fashioned scale.  Maybe I will convert my Blodgett to coal, LOL.

Although any evidence has long worn off, I'm pretty sure I figured out at the time I bought it that my oven is a Blodgett 90M-1.  The "1" version indicated it went higher to 650 degrees.  I never noticed until now but there was also a very similar (if not the same) model called a 90M-2.  When searching the web just now a forum thread on here popped up from 2011 with someone that had just purchased the 90M-2.  I sent the OP on that thread a PM just now in hopes of being able to compare info if he happens to still have his.

I'm not sure if my stones are original or not.  The upper stone is quite thin.  About half the thickness of the lower one and has a very rough bottom.  The thicker bottom stone is the same on both sides and way heavier and seems like any other stone I've used.

Thanks for the good wishes!  We are patiently waiting for all the pieces to fall in place for our move to Reno.  I am off for the summer from teaching so my pizza making goes on break too and I sure am missing it.  I have no inspiration to make pies at home with our oven.  I never have been to New Haven for pizza but sure have heard about them guys.  I would call Blodgett.  They keep records on all their ovens.  Having the original manual is a good thing.  I see your pilot safety (red button) is a newer replacement.  My stones are 1.5" thick and original. They are near impossible to find and with the small size/weight of your oven it is easily transportable which means most likely the original stones are long ago broken and replaced.  My ovens weigh close to 800lbs each so moving them is a big hassle and will be a big piece of thinking to get them moved to NV with us.  For home use your oven looks first class.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:51:42 PM by waltertore »

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
A couple years ago I converted a Blodgett pizza oven to propane and custom built a dolly for it so I could roll it out of my garage into the driveway anytime I want to make pizza.  It's almost 40 years old and built like a tank!

I've made a few adjustments with the heat and my recipe and am starting to get results from her I'm really happy with.  Typical temps are around 700 degrees.  I could probably get it higher if I shield the thermostat sensor with some tin foil to trick it to go higher but right now I am happy the way it is.

Here are a couple pics from today.  The unique looking pie is caramelized onion, goat cheese, spinach and pear.  It was delicious.

KW
I'm impressed! Comercial pizza oven on wheels, love it!

Chris

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »
Thanks Chris!  Yours is insanely nice!  Just checked it out.

Made a few more pies today.  Feel like I am finally getting this oven dialed in and consistent.  Here's one from today of the same caramelized onion/goat cheese...

pizzapan