Author Topic: Cooking pizzas on a 55 gallon drum UDS  (Read 76 times)

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
Cooking pizzas on a 55 gallon drum UDS
« on: Yesterday at 09:31:16 PM »
I made a UDS smoker especially for high temps and for mainly pizza only. I first tried it with plain wood no charcoal and I hit 600+ temps and actually produced the best looking pizza I have done to date. But it tasted like crap. It was as if the pizza had been in a house fire lol. So some members on another forum said pizzas need no wood, I now cook over straight lump and it tastes awesome but I cannot achieve the temps I did with straight wood. I am also not able to get the top of the pizzas to cook well before the crust burns. I am cooking on a pizza pan. With higher temps and straight wood I had a good browned cheese. I cannot get that anymore.

But I see people talk about wood burning pizza ovens. Why do those work but when I tried straight wood it ranked the pizza horribly with smoke flavor? Is there a way to mod my UDS drum to make it a suitable pizza oven? I don't want to spend a bunch of money right now building anything.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:33:22 PM by cmwr »

Offline halfprice

Re: Cooking pizzas on a 55 gallon drum UDS
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:08:00 PM »
UDS are great for low and slow smoking, not sure for pizza.  Couple of questions.  What kind of wood did you burn??  Did you wait for the clean smoke or was it still black smoke??

Also I like your lower vents vs the normal valves.

Jerry
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:09:39 PM by halfprice »

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:43:38 AM »
UDS are great for low and slow smoking, not sure for pizza.  Couple of questions.  What kind of wood did you burn??  Did you wait for the clean smoke or was it still black smoke??

Also I like your lower vents vs the normal valves.

Jerry

I believe I use either Hickory or mesquite but can't remember for sure. It was bagged wood chunks from Menards for smokers. And I had three quarters of a full basket and it was a raging fire. But that was the wood on the top and the fire was burning its way down. So you got me to thinking maybe as the fire was burning its way down to the bottom would I was getting too much smoke. Maybe I should have just put a little bit of wood in the bottom of the basket so that I could have had a complete burn on all of the wood chunks?

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:49:03 AM »
does it make a difference if the fire is directly underneath the pie?

pizzapan