Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 77596 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:56 AM »
99 Bottles - My other beer store

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »
My current Recipe measurements:

(Mix in a bowl)
4 cups Pendleton Power Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil (or a quick pour)

(Mix in a glass)
1 & 1/2 teaspoon Quick Rise Yeast
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
5 ounces warm water

(in a separate glass)
9 ounces of beer (beer of your choice, but do not use Stout Beers) (in My opinion)

Mix all ingredients and knead for 10 mins. I usually add the yeast mixture first and mix it in then the beer.  (add more beer if your dough is too dry during the kneading process)
Coat the finished dough ball with Extra virgin olive oil and place in zip lock freezer bag. (One Gallon Size bag) You can make 3 smaller dough balls and bag them,  but I usually do not have the fridge space to do this.
Place the plastic zip lock freezer bag in the Fridge for 24 hours.
Recipe makes enough for three 14" pizzas (Obviously, divide the large dough ball into three smaller dough balls after it rises for 24 hours )

Let the cold dough warm up a little bit. However, cooler dough makes the press out easier.  Then, I press the dough out by hand and cook them on a 14" pizza screen at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
(oven is a standard home oven with a heating element and be sure to preheat your oven)

I use Pendleton Power flour and recently I have been using a dough hook on my Kitchen Aid mixer. I still knead the dough into a ball and then transfer it to the mixer. As you make dough, you get to know the process better and better. You will be able to tell in the kneading process if you should have more or less hydration percentage (beer or water). If too sticky, add a little more flour. if too dry add a little more beer. It can change depending on the area of the country you live in, Sea Level, etc... Try to get good on your measurements but Don't get so upset about it as you learn the process. Remember, this is for home and you do not have a line of customers waiting either. Again, as you make dough more often, you get used to what needs to be done. Most of all and most importantly, HAVE FUN DOING IT.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
This scale can measure in pounds, ounces, kilograms, grams. I have only measured in dry cups and liquid ounces. What is the "NORM" for measurements in bakers scale, etc... when it comes to pizza making in the pizza community???

Tom,

Unless you are making a lot of dough, I think you can go with either ounces or grams for weights. In my work, especailly when I am seeking greater accuracy in my calculations, I prefer to work with grams, which I can convert to ounces if necessary using my calculator.

Peter

Offline B.F.SkinnersRevenge

« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »
Just discovered Total Wine when me and a buddy made a road trip to pick up Westvleteren 12 (on 12/12/12). Just an awesome selection of beers. We got our Westy and then just stared at beer for a good 2 hours.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
It is amazing how many Isles of beer and wine are in that place. However, do not underestimate the smaller beer store either. Sometimes the small store can get a reserve/ limited / special release / or seasonal beer as well and have less people searching it out before you do. (Just a thought)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA  - Stone Brewing Company

Picked up this beer the other day at my beer store - "99 Bottles". This beer was just released on the market and had a purchase limit of two bottles per person. Of course, I only needed one bottle for dough making. This IPA is 9.4 percent alcohol which will cook out but will flavor the dough in a nice way. The IPA was lighter in color but has a distinct taste all it's own. Perfect for dough making. However, it is a limited release.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:53:47 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #366 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
The dough making turned out very well.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #367 on: January 19, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
Normally, I bag the entire dough ball into one gallon sized freezer bag (after lightly coating with Olive Oil) for the 24 hour cold rise. However, I had extra room in my fridge, so I divided the large ball into three 12 oz dough balls.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #368 on: January 19, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »
Beer weighs the same 9 0z in weight as i does measured by 9 fluid 0z in the measuring cup. Not sure if it weighs different by types of beer??

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:53 AM »
The next time I make dough, I am going to make sure there is room again in one of my two refrigerators. Although it takes extra freezer bags, it was so convenient to press out the individual dough ball without going through the cutting process. i think it even made the press out better too. With the scale, i can evenly weigh out three 12 oz dough balls before the cold rise, as i did on this recent dough making process. I have tired to make this tread for the person that is cooking at home with minimal equipment. However, the scale and my Kitchen Aid has made dough making so much easier. The dough balls were given a 48 hour cold rise and the dough turned out fantastic. Also, the IPA beer gave the dough a wonderful smell and flavor.

I made three dough balls but only used two tonight.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:53:48 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:31 AM »
Again, i was very happy with this batch of dough, the beer that i used (Stone Enjoy By 02.15.13 IPA ), and the extra help from the scale and the Kitchen Aid.

TomN
PS
A cup of Pendleton Power Flour weighed out at 56 grams and i used four cups.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:50:04 AM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #371 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
A cup of Pendleton Power Flour weighed out at 56 grams and i used four cups.

Tom,

Is there an error with the above weight for a cup of the Pendleton Power flour? 56 grams is a bit less than 2 ounces.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
Peter,

I posted this from memory, so I will weigh out some flour tonight and recheck my findings. I thought it was 56 grams per cup of flour, but let me check again. Thanks.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #373 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »
Hi Peter,

I use Pendleton POWER Flour. I leveled out one cup of flour that weighed in at 6.0 oz / 168 grams / .168 KG.   (My scale has "ZERO" and "TARE" Functions so this is just the flour.) I use four cups of flour in my recipe.

Sorry for the previous figures :(

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »
I use Pendleton POWER Flour. I leveled out one cup of flour that weighed in at 6.0 oz / 168 grams / .168 KG.   (My scale has "ZERO" and "TARE" Functions so this is just the flour.) I use four cups of flour in my recipe.

Tom,

No need to apologize.

A 6-ounce cup is a "heavy" cup. Can you tell me how you measure out the flour, that is, how the flour gets from its storage container (flour bag or a storage unit) into your measuring cup? For me to get six ounces of flour (by weight) into a cup, I would have to either scoop the flour out of the container using my measuring cup so that the flour mounds over the measuring cup by a fair amount and then level it, or I would have to gradually add flour to the measuring cup and periodically tamp the cup against a flat surface or hit the sides of the measuring cup with something to cause the flour to settle in the measuring cup. My measuring cup is a metal cup without a lip and intended for use with dry ingredients.

Whatever the answer is, it is good to know the weight of one of your cups of Power flour. That should help members who want to try your beer-based doughs.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Peter,

The bag of Pendelton POWER Flour is stored in a cooler place of my house and is kept tightly wrapped up in it's original bag.

I reach into the bag and scoop out a cup, which is leveled off with the edge of a knife so it is an even cup. You described this as a "heavy" cup. You are right since the cup of flour is not sifted or spooned in. That being said, my previous cup measurement weighed at 168 grams.  However, I tried a different way to full the measuring cup this time around for a practice run. I spooned it in slowly and then leveled the cup. This method measured at 140 grams per cup. There is a difference!!!  

As for my recipe, I usually always scoop out a cup from the bag which is the 168 grams per cup.. As i continue to make pizza dough, i will begin using the scale each time and record the results. Having used a scale for the first time, I can see why many Pizzeria recipes either use a 25lb or a 50lb bag of flour in their recipes (based upon their mixer). No need to measure since the producers of the flour state the bag weigh.

TomN
PS
based on the 168 grams and the liquids, can you figure out my hydration? Can you show your work as you use your hydration formula? I am sure others would like to see this as well. Thanks. (Please use the 168 grams per cup in your calculations)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:04:42 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2013, 01:01:41 AM »
This is starting to sound like another Aimless Ryan thread.... ;D
j/k...btw, he's coming here to business consult me next month.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2013, 01:47:53 AM »
Sorry Bob,

I try to keep the focus on the use of different Beers in dough making and I gear it to the home users (Like Me). However, I was recently asked about my hydration level and did not have an answer.

TomN
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:26:50 AM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
based on the 168 grams and the liquids, can you figure out my hydration? Can you show your work as you use your hydration formula? I am sure others would like to see this as well. Thanks. (Please use the 168 grams per cup in your calculations)

Tom,

From a baker's percent standpoint, the dough formulation that you have been using is essentially the one as set forth below. In coming up with that formulation, I weighed out 9 fluid ounces of beer from a bottle of Shiner's beer. The weight for the 9 fluid ounces was 9.4444 ounces. For the water, I used a conversion of 8.12 ounces by weight for 8 fluid ounces of water. That is based on measurements that I have conducted in my own kitchen. To determine the amount of water in the beer, I used the generic data for a regular beer from NutritionData.Self.com at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/3827/2. On that basis, the percent of water is 90.33%. I also used the data on alcohol for 9 fluid ounces of beer and, on that basis, the percent of alcohol is 4%. Since the expanded dough calculating tool (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html) does not have an entry for beer, I used another entry as a proxy because I wanted to show the percents of water and beer separately. For the Power flour, I used the 168 grams per cup, or 23.7037 ounces.

Based on all of the numbers given above, I arrived at a total dough batch weight of 39.14 ounces. For three dough balls, that would be 13.05 ounces, or roughly 13 ounces per dough ball. For a 14" pizza, the corresponding thickness factor is 13.05/(3.13159 x 7 x 7) = 0.08477. That corresponds fairly closely to a NY style crust thickness. If you decide at some time to make a different size pizza or to make a dough batch for more than three pizzas, you can use the above thickness factor value in the expanded dough calculating tool along with all of the baker's percents and other required entries.

Here is the dough formulation:

Pendleton Power Flour (100%):
Water (21.4893%):
IDY (0.67236%):
Salt (0.8306%):
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2.009%):
Sugar (0.29663%):
Beer (39.844%):
Total (165.14189%):
672 g  |  23.7 oz | 1.48 lbs
144.41 g  |  5.09 oz | 0.32 lbs (5 fluid ounces)
4.52 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
13.5 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3 tsp | 1 tbsp
1.99 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
267.75 g | 9.44 oz | 0.59 lbs (9 fluid ounces)
1109.75 g | 39.14 oz | 2.45 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough is for three 14" pizzas; the corresponding thickness factor = 0.08477; no bowl residue compensation

As you will note, if you add the percents of beer and water, you will get a nominal value of 61.33%. However, if we use only the water content of the beer and add that to the water that is otherwise used to make the dough, we get a total water content of (0.9033 x 9.44) + 5.09 = 13.6172 ounces. That is a "true" hydration value of 13.6172/23.7 = 57.46%. If we also assume that the alcohol in the beer has a "hydrating" effect on the flour (I don't know if that is true or not), then the "effective" hydration becomes [(0.9033 x 9.44) + 5.09 + (0.04 x 9.44)]/23.7 =  13.995/23.27 = 59.05%. 

Since you have been using many different beers that may have different weights for 9 fluid ounces, and possibly different water and alcohol contents, the numbers given above will differ somewhat. However, I don't think that the numbers will change materially in such a way as to affect your results. For your purposes, and since the expanded dough calculating tool does not have a beer entry, you might just use a hydration value in the tool of 61.33%, or simply 61% to use a round number. However, the actual hydration value will be closer to around 58-59%.

To show you how the dough formulation looks if we just use 61% hydration in the expanded doujgh calculating tool, we get this:

Pendleton Power Flour (100%):
Water + Beer (61%):
IDY (0.67236%):
Salt (0.8306%):
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2.009%):
Sugar (0.29663%):
Total (164.80859%):
673.36 g  |  23.75 oz | 1.48 lbs
410.75 g  |  14.49 oz | 0.91 lbs (9 fluid ounces of beer and 5 fluid ounces of water)
4.53 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
5.59 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
13.53 g | 0.48 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.01 tsp | 1 tbsp
2 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
1109.75 g | 39.14 oz | 2.45 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough is for three 14" pizzas; the corresponding thickness factor = 0.08477; no bowl residue compensation

Peter

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
Tom,

Have you tried a "tripel" such as by La Fin Du Monde by Unibroue? It's a very unique flavor that might go well in a pizza dough. It's certainly good with Pizza!

They don't offer it where I live now, or I'd have tried the experiment myself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fin_du_Monde_(beer)

Josh

pizzapan