Author Topic: Sourdough Culture Contamination Concern  (Read 1062 times)

Offline djamc

Sourdough Culture Contamination Concern
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I received the dormant Italian starters from Sourdo.com 36 hours ago...  I have attached two pics below of the starters after 24 and 36 hours...  The do not look or smell as I would have imagined...

> the first pic is of the starters after 24 hours of proofing in a box @ 90 degrees

> the second pic is of the starters after the exchange of 1/2 the starter with 50:50 fresh flour and water and another 12 hours at 70 degrees

i saw very vigorous action after only a few hours in the proofing box, which I didn't think was normal... And I'm concerned about all this hooch...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Dan

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Sourdough Culture Contamination Concern
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
Dan;
Most bacterial starters take a bit more than just a few hours before they show any real leavening power, but possibly the starter that you got is not a bacterial starter, but rather a yeast (wild yeast) starter? What does the manufacturer say about how long it should take before you begin to see the development of leavening gas?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline djamc

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
These are the Ischia and Camadoli starters from Ed Wood at Sourdo.com

He states in his instructions that the activity should be limited in the first 24 hours...

parallei

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
It seems bacterial contamination is common with these starters.  They cause the early funky activity.  Lots of discussions on how to deal with it and what causes it. Just do a bit more reading for all the detail.  I had the same problem and it was discussed here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12050.msg112913.html#msg112913

The general consensus seems to be to just keep with the program (wasting and feeding), though I went ahead and washed mine.  Washing is discussed in the information you received with the starters.  Eventually, the "good bugs" will win the day.  Don't give up.

pizzapan