Author Topic: Pizza Expo 2012 Las Vegas  (Read 4014 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Pizza Expo 2012 Las Vegas
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »
I dont really know where to start with this whirlwind Pizza trip all I can say is it was a real trip ! The first Day Monday was packed with " So you want to open a pizzeria ? " hmm maybe someday? espcially after hear some of the killer success stories and inspirational speakers. The panels of speaker were all ledgends in the industry and all a blast to meet. I will start with that first. You can see by the schedule the incredible offerings all included with admission.
I hade the pleasure of meeting and speaking with most one on one few a brief pieriod. To name a few
Tony Gemignani , Franco Pepe, Don Antonio Starita, roberto,Gulio from Forcella was there, all the Marra Brothers from where I bought my mixer, Micheal Fairholm, My froends at GI metals, Andrea at Mugniani,... I could go on and on My only regret was I did not stay another day. The seminars were so good it limited my time for cruising around the packed show floor. Between that and watching the dough acrobatics, the cook offs,  and sampling toppings , cheeses,  tomatoes, pizza's and more.  I highly recommend a minimum of 2 full days for the show. It was amazing to see all the suppliers, from a-z the equipment, mixers, so many different tyoes of deck ovens and electric ovens,  wood fired ovens.... you get the idea endless info and pizza overload. Heres a few pics of these great people I met. I will be glad to answer questions from the curious. will post more on the show , seminars,  ovens... after I gather my thoughts an incredible amount of information to take in!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:59:00 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Pizza Expo 2012 Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Special thanks to Michael Madan, and his lovely wife Lynda of Dough Mate and Madan Plastics for planting the seed that I should attend the expo and hooking me up with the ticket. He  even got me in before show opened for a sneak preview  ;D few shots of the pre show caos! I also met at a semiar  the Husband and wife Owner of the recently opened Mozzeria in San Fran and talked with them for a good while using their sign Language translator this was very cool. Another pizza enthusiast I  met for the first time was Scott Weiner of Scotts pizza tours in NY he is also a good friend of Michael Madan. sure we will bump again!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:18:49 AM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
A few of the Ovens my personal favorite If I had to do electric :'(  the  Cuppone  revolving deck cooked at 750 all day long and a lot of em !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:04:23 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Marsal is putting out some nice ones as well ! and a triple stack Impinger production!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
My friends at Marra forni Francesco, Emilio , and Jeff Caldwell, Gulio from Forcella was cooking here for them in these modified corigliano  forni  nice ovens too!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
The Red egg! flames all around cast . see the burner ring Interesting concept. this has yet to be sold in states first showing I think?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
Loved this bad ass mixer too! someone won this at the end of the show but you had to be there

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »
awesome pics, I would have loved to have been able to go. I was in vegas the week before. Honestly though I don't know enough about that side of the business and would have been lost. I love going to Vegas conventions though. By the way, and idea what that cuppone oven sells for you posted?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
 great pics,can you talk about franco pepe. what was his demo about?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
John is that first Marsal oven a gas oven? That bottom door looks like the gas burners door. If not and if it's a WFO whats that bottom door for?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
The little window on the side actually shows off the flame for looks
the door Under neath is actually another cooking oven this pic shows the  gas level below that The guy was throwin in 20'S in the lower chamber
can run 2 different temps as well ! thats a nice Oven for sure!!
John

Offline petef

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »
I enjoyed the thread and all the pics.
Thanks for posting!
---pete---

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:00:41 AM »
Yes, thank you John.  Looks like you had a great time and met a lot of great folks.   All those mixers and ovens look drool worthy! 

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
Nice pics.  Is that Napoli oven a forgo bravo?  Also how did all the wood fired style ovens  cook considering they were using gas only at the expo?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
The Napoli oven is a corigliano forni with a modified chimney to look like a stafano ferraro
Oven they are nice and accept wOod as well. I persOnally think gas ovens tend to dry out the pizza a littler he guys at the GI metal booth had a beautiful electric oven and I am thinking that was my favorite pie with all the silly regulations these days I would go high temp electric in a heart beat but I am a wood fired only guy even if it means oPening in a different state. Mike fairgolme has the SMOKI system which I saw and virtually eliminates all and any smoke! This system is installed at don Antonio and saves a boat load of$ on  pipe too if yOu need tO make a long run
John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
John, great pics and updates on the event.....looks like a fun time!  :)

That giant electric oven looks like something from The Terminator. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
That big round Cuppone is beautiful rotating deck separate top and bottom heat controls and real ! production!
@Larry-  I will put up videos of Franco Pepe. He did a demonstration how he makes dough by hand for 3 generations gram-pa in 1930 then his father opened in 1960 now him and his son was there as well. Franco was born in a pizzeria!  they speak little to no English and the whole presentation was done by an interpretor.  Had a movie slide show that was amazing !! almost brought me to tears! It is a heritage from his father  and what he does everyday!  
I even took some pics of the slides they were so cool. He ( him + 3 guys)  mixes 400 dough balls  for an average  days bake. He uses some of the old dough  and cake yeast. Keeps all the flour on 1 side add the water mixes in old dough dissolve and then mixes in salt to that water before he begins incoperating the flour Looked like a human diving arm mixer. When he was almost done he was adding literally just a pinch of flour He calls it Magic that happens with the help of an oven. and Says he  is completely connected to what he does by his hands , and each pizza tells a story.  There is no need for electricity to make this  says Machines ( mixers) kill the soul of the pizza and no refrideration is needed.
his basic formula is
1 liter water
50 G salt
1700 G flour
2/3 grams bakers yeast depending on any number of variables
and 77 degree water  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:24:45 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
On to the show. ! as youy enter the main door you are greeted with the overwhelming site of endles pizza playground xxxxxxlt ovens and the Fabulous Stanilous booth. A downhome Kithchen where the served pasta, with their various sauces,  cheese, wine, olive oil ... sit down take a break have a bite  chat with pizzaf reaks and head out to the Escalon booth for another wonderful sampling of every tomatoe product they offer in 1 spot very cool and personal they pick you up and hang with you as you taste your way through the different products My hostess was wonderful heres the 2 booths Last shot is Escalon
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:41:22 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
Lest yee forget my good friend over at GI metals I met my sales person  Jenny for the first time what a sweety ! They gave me a special GI apron for my vakued business. Great people and as mentioned my favorite sample pizza forgot to pic

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »
Thank you John.  It was almost like being there...  More Pics and stories please. :'(
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan