Author Topic: Making Pizza in Baltimore  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Making Pizza in Baltimore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »
Wow! Talk about non-traditional toppings! :chef: They all sound great! Can't wait to see the pics! ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 07:29:43 AM »
PizzaDiFiore,

It was great meeting you at Root‘s too.  :) Stop by anytime.  Love your choice of toppings.  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
mmmm mmmmm sounds like a lunchtime drive to UMBC should be in my near future!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
mmmm mmmmm sounds like a lunchtime drive to UMBC should be in my near future!

PizzaDiFiore - UM or UMBC?  if you are at UMBC I have a very hungry 20yo there and can find you a customer.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
I am at UMB, in downtown Baltimore.  I have two coffee shops on the campus, one at the Medical School and the other at the Law School.  I make pizza on Thursdays only at my Law location.  This Thursday is the exception as I will be out of town on a research trip for our Pizzeria.

Also, my Law location closes for the summer in mid May (the perk/pain of being in a host institution).

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Currently chilling out in Minneapolis after stuffing my belly full of Neapolitan goodness @ Punch Pizza!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed Punch Pizza in Minneapolis.  Those places were rockin' busy!  Back to the grind this week for Pizza Thursday.  I'll upload some photos when I have more time.

I have been using a RD "00" flour in my NY Style recipe for quite some time.  Even though I'm using a countertop electric oven, I've found the dough opens easily and has good flavor and gluten development.  With the addition of a little sugar, I get decent browning.  Based on my research I decided this time to use a different flour, a Pillsbury High Gluten.  I was hoping for more gluten development, and boy, did I find it.  I'm using a 63% hydration percentage and using my small KitchenAid mixer and 1500g of flour with a live starter I had been maintaining at home for about 6 years, I do 4 batches and bulk ferment them overnight on the counter in a very large plastic container that I loosely cover with plastic wrap.  Typically, the fermented dough barely reaches the top of the container.  When I came in yesterday morning, the dough had burst from the container and onto the counter.  I believe the higher gluten flour held more of the air from the yeast causing the flour to blow up like a balloon.  I typically use very little of the starter, and didn't alter the recipe.  The dough definitely had more elasticity, and I had good oven spring.  Not sure if I'll continue with the HG flour, but it was fun to try something different.  My customers could not discern a difference in taste or texture, so it wasn't a failure.

pizzapan