Author Topic: Video on Don Antonio  (Read 5370 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Video on Don Antonio
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
<a href="http://vimeo.com/39291586" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://vimeo.com/39291586</a>
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Video on Don Antonio
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:24:20 PM »
What a great video- I would love to go there!  I hope some of our local members in NY will review the place for us.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:14 PM »
It's a fun video, but, I'm still seeing problems with the margherita. The brief shot in the first few seconds looks right, but the pizza being baked at the :50 mark is definitely off.  Bubbling cheese on a NY style pie is appropriate, but, not, imo for Neapolitan.  At least, not that much bubbling. And, while there is leoparding, it lacks the kind of leoparding you see at higher temps.

It's weird, the pizza in the first couple seconds is just so dramatically different from the :50 pizza. Night and day.

It doesn't explain the pizza that is properly leoparded, but I almost get the feeling that, in order to avoid burning the montanara, that they are running the ovens a bit lower.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »
It's a fun video, but, I'm still seeing problems with the margherita. The brief shot in the first few seconds looks right, but the pizza being baked at the :50 mark is definitely off.  Bubbling cheese on a NY style pie is appropriate, but, not, imo for Neapolitan.  At least, not that much bubbling. And, while there is leoparding, it lacks the kind of leoparding you see at higher temps.

It's weird, the pizza in the first couple seconds is just so dramatically different from the :50 pizza. Night and day.

It doesn't explain the pizza that is properly leoparded, but I almost get the feeling that, in order to avoid burning the montanara, that they are running the ovens a bit lower.

I think the cheese is the culprit here. Roberto did say they make their own cheese this might be why the pies look different to other places who serve traditional pies.
regarding the night and day comment, yes the 50second pie did look off, maybe the shot was filmed 10 seconds once the pie went in the oven so it gave it that raw look, I don't know. but the cheese does seem more softer than normal cheese.
the montanara doesn't look that great , so I don't know.
I mean at the end of the day, they are just a couple of pizza makers making pizza, doesn't mean they are the best in the world, but with the amount of attention roberto gets you would think he is. but he only got into this business a couple years ago, marketing works.
sure his pies are good, but so are millions of other peoples.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
next you're going to pop my Easter Bunny bubble, right? ... meanies.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:44:34 AM »
but he only got into this business a couple years ago, marketing works.

He's been in the business alot more than a couple of years; try 16.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »
He's been in the business alot more than a couple of years; try 16.
sorry, I men't to say with keste a couple years and brought to the attention of everyone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:41:11 AM by PizzaVera »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »
 the pizza they show at the 146 mark looks perfect.

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
Good catch, Larry.

So, that's 2 out 3 good looking non fried pizzas on the video.  Combined with John Conklin's marg experience, it looks like they're batting .500.

I get the feeling that this will all be worked out eventually, but I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that Roberto would allow the two questionable pies to be made.  I remember distinctly from our conversation with him that if something isn't right, it gets tossed.

Perhaps we're looking at a disconnect between what Starita considers to be acceptable variations in Neapolitan pizza and what we (and possibly Roberto) consider acceptable.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
It looks like they were baking that pizza almost near the mouth of the oven which can run couple hundred degrees lower than anywhere else in the oven. That would attribute to the longer bake. Maybe it's a "NY" inspired longer baked neapolitan pie who knows.

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Maybe it's a "NY" inspired longer baked neapolitan pie who knows.

Maybe that's how Starita rolls, but I know, for a fact, that Roberto don't play that  ;D

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
Maybe they were trying to get a camera shot of a pie baking and the camera could not get a good shot with the pie in the oven, so they moved it forward. And the shot took longer than expected. Or other staging issues. I don't think the bulk of this video was made during service hours, and it is a production piece.

John

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Maybe that's how Starita rolls, but I know, for a fact, that Roberto don't play that  ;D

Starita did emphasize we make pizza. "VERA" VEEERRRAAAAA!!
the old man is bringing it old school! I like it!

all my travels to Italy, and growing up with my Italian dad who is an Italian restaurant owner, the old school approach is different to the new trendy modern food coming out of Italy.
just visit any old osteria or trattoria in Italy and you will see the difference in presentation. they focus on taste more than looks.
I need to go and visit DON. I am such a sucker for nostalgia.

Offline Tonysappy

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
Going there for lunch today----I will let you know

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »
I'm sure that the obliterated cheese shot was a product of the film crew moving people out of the way and getting a shot with their cameras... and not the pizzaiolo.  99.4 % of people would never know ;D

Scot

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
Going there for lunch today----I will let you know

cool, can't wait to hear how it was. put some pics up if you can too.

Offline Trianon

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
Starita did emphasize we make pizza. "VERA" VEEERRRAAAAA!!
the old man is bringing it old school! I like it!

all my travels to Italy, and growing up with my Italian dad who is an Italian restaurant owner, the old school approach is different to the new trendy modern food coming out of Italy.
just visit any old osteria or trattoria in Italy and you will see the difference in presentation. they focus on taste more than looks.
I need to go and visit DON. I am such a sucker for nostalgia.

Funny I noticed that "VERA, VEEERRRAAAAAA" too ... the emphasis was so strong that you can tell it was not casual ... Does it means that what Roberto was making at Keste 3 years before they opened Don Antonio was not real Neapolitan pizza? Does it mean Motorino does not make real neapolitan pizza? And what about al the others Forcella? Paulie Gee, Pizzarte and so on ... or this means that we are dealing with another pizzaiolo from abroad that thinks to be "God on Earth" and none else is good enough to compare to him including his own partner?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:15:42 PM by Trianon »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
don antonio is doing the complete menu from his naples location,this includes his fried appetizers.the fried pizza is being done by quite a few ny joints now. they all claim that they do it the best why not. john conklin, myself and our families are visiting don antonios this monday,we are going to hit the menu heavy. as you all know john shoots from the hip so the evaluation will be fair.any one in the area is welcome to join us .john is setting the time so pm either of us if you would like to attend.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
Funny I noticed that "VERA, VEEERRRAAAAAA" too ... the emphasis was so strong that you can tell it was not casual ... Does it means that what Roberto was making at Keste 3 years before they opened Don Antonio was not real Neapolitan pizza? Does it mean Motorino does not make real neapolitan pizza? And what about al the others Forcella? Paulie Gee, Pizzarte and so on ... or this means that we are dealing with another pizzaiolo from abroad that thinks to be "God on Earth" and none else is good enough to compare to him including his own partner?

I saw an interview with with guilio from  Forcella, and he clearly stated and I quote, when he was asked a question about his favorite pizza joints in the city.
" my favorite place is Keste, which is owned by my good friend, he is probably the only one doing real napolatan pizza, I also like Paulie Gee but he is not doing real napolatan pizza, but he is making nice pizza"

hahhaahahahaha, ohhhhhh chefs, I grew up with them all my life and these guys can never say a good thing about someone elses food, unless it's their friends.