Author Topic: Article: How Tech is Killing Off Independent Pizzerias  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Article: How Tech is Killing Off Independent Pizzerias
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »
Readers digest version: crappy pizza that is convenient beats crappy pizza that is inconvenient. Seems pretty common sense.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »
Picking up a small piece of plastic and pressing a button which causes a pizza to arrive at your door in about 30 minutes is to me a pinnacle of our civilization.  :pizza:

For independent pizza shops, trying to get all the digital stuff to work right can be a big hassle, monetary or otherwise. In the future, digital ordering systems will be easier to implement for independents. I think there is some room for innovation here, especially for the micro restaurants.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »
All this may be true for the chains and shops trying to compete with them but we are finding the complete opposite. We are so busy we can't answer the phone much of the time, have no POS, 1 phone line, no delivery, no online ordering, no alcohol, no TVs, customers come from an hour or more away regularly, no music playing in the background, waits of an hour not uncommon, do a split shift schedule, no specials, no coupons, no wings, no sandwiches, very limited toppings, 2 sizes of pizzas. We are succeeding beyond our wildest dreams and have nothing but 5 star ratings on yelp and facebook. Mom and pop shops can make a killing today if one is willing to use only the best ingredients and have a deep knowledge of pizza making. What I have seen over and over again are shops that really don't know much about pizza making and do not care to learn the art side of it. The art of dough, balance, ingredients, makes one rise way above the chains and they are no competition so to speak and these studies have no effect other than to polarize the customer base of what is considered a great pizza and that is great news for shops like ours. Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
All this may be true for the chains and shops trying to compete with them but we are finding the complete opposite. We are so busy we can't answer the phone much of the time, have no POS, 1 phone line, no delivery, no online ordering, no alcohol, no TVs, customers come from an hour or more away regularly, no music playing in the background, waits of an hour not uncommon, do a split shift schedule, no specials, no coupons, no wings, no sandwiches, very limited toppings, 2 sizes of pizzas. We are succeeding beyond our wildest dreams and have nothing but 5 star ratings on yelp and facebook. Mom and pop shops can make a killing today if one is willing to use only the best ingredients and have a deep knowledge of pizza making. What I have seen over and over again are shops that really don't know much about pizza making and do not care to learn the art side of it. The art of dough, balance, ingredients, makes one rise way above the chains and they are no competition so to speak and these studies have no effect other than to polarize the customer base of what is considered a great pizza and that is great news for shops like ours. Walter

I'm with Walter!!!!!!  If you are passionate about your craft, are consistent, and fair...they will come, and they will come hard!!

John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »
I'm with Walter!!!!!!  If you are passionate about your craft, are consistent, and fair...they will come, and they will come hard!!

John

No. That's not enough. Pizza better be good too.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »
In the future, digital ordering systems will be easier to implement for independents.

I think this is very true.  We're living in the great transition period.  When I first had net access and an email account, I was the only person of everyone I knew (outside of work) that had this.  Now virtually everyone has a net presence.  But there is still an older faction that is uncomfortable with it.  If I think of the local independent pizza joints in my area, the vast majority are owned and run by someone over 60 years old and his wife, and they hire young kids for short periods of time.  Getting these people to transition to online ordering would be akin to suggesting they get neural implants.

There is also a faction of independent operators who will continue to do fine because they own a great place to eat AT.  As long as they continue to produce great pizzas and have a nice establishment, they'll do fine.

But this sort of transition probably happens to most retail businesses.  When I was young, my town had five hardware stores and eight independent coffee shops.  Now it has zero independent hardware stores and coffee shops, replaced by one Lowes and 85,632 Dunkin Donunts.
--pat--

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
Can a pizzeria in suburbia survive on good pizza alone? Or are the sides like chicken wings and fried foods a must..
-Eric

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
Can a pizzeria in suburbia survive on good pizza alone? Or are the sides like chicken wings and fried foods a must..
-Eric

We are busier every day and with no wings, no fried foods, no alcohol, no TV, no music, and no advertising. People are waiting an hour for a pizza.  Many sit or hang out outside if there are no seats and talk to each other.  We hear over and over again our shop is a refreshing change in todays world of devices and they also like the pizza too :)  I find it a no brainer to not compete with the norm.  Walter

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »
No kidding! That makes me feel good because getting into the deep fryer game costs almost as much as doing pizza. I've been to urban areas like Toronto, Ontario that only have pizza, but where I'm from in a suburb of Buffalo, NY, everybody has wings. It is not cheap to set up the proper ventilation and fire supression equipment, and has been a major turn off to me when I think about opening up my own joint.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
No kidding! That makes me feel good because getting into the deep fryer game costs almost as much as doing pizza. I've been to urban areas like Toronto, Ontario that only have pizza, but where I'm from in a suburb of Buffalo, NY, everybody has wings. It is not cheap to set up the proper ventilation and fire supression equipment, and has been a major turn off to me when I think about opening up my own joint.

I hear you and we will NEVER do frying of any sort.  It makes a royal mess of the kitchen :-D  Walter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »

Pizzaman,

Nowadays you can cook almost anything in a deck oven, even wings. No need for a fryer.  ;D

Meanwhile, Jason Hague, owner of Bada Bing! Pizzeria (badabingpizzeria.com) in Springfield, Ohio, has found that his traditional deck oven allows him to cook a variety of items—in fact, it’s the only piece of cooking equipment he has in the kitchen. “Other than pizza, we bake our garlic knots, grinders, pastas, chicken wings, calzones, pepperoni rolls and garlic cheese sticks in the oven,” he says. “We also bake our own bread for our grinders, and we bake cookies in the oven right after we fire it up.”

http://www.pmq.com/August-2013/Learn-how-to-use-your-pizza-oven-to-expand-your-menu-and-generate-blazing-hot-profits/
Mike

“I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.”  - Jarod Kintz

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:00:36 AM »
Yeah no kidding. Once I do open a shop, and build up capital, I would invest in something that would roast the wings rather than fry them. I think roasted wings are way better

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
Yeah no kidding. Once I do open a shop, and build up capital, I would invest in something that would roast the wings rather than fry them. I think roasted wings are way better

A tabletop conveyor would work fine, but you'd still need ventilation I think.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
The author seems like a rather dubious source.  He appears to be his own company and exists as a public speaker.  I'd be surprised if all of his facts checked out.

Offline blueeyes0710

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »
first comment from my account:)

I'm definitely with Walter:
whether hi-tech or not depends on what u r trying to offer and who your customers are :)
If I opened up a Pizza place, I'd make sure to know the art of pizzamaking and offer a place, where People come to be with one another, actually talk to each other without all These distractions of smart phones, TV etc. and come to eat GREAT Pizzas :)

I'd try to sell deceleation from today's fast paced life. For this, there's no Need for online and smart phone ordering :D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
offer a place, where People come to be with one another, actually talk to each other without all These distractions of smart phones,

That's funny.  :-D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
 interesting article. online ordering does make a huge difference. there are a lot of companies that offer their services to independent pizzerias. grub hub, caviar,  seamless etc. we use to deliver on a busy night over 100 pies a night. now we are down to 35 to 40. i decided long ago to let pizza hut, dominos fight over that segment. i concentrated on my dinning room business. let face it a pizza hot from the oven is so much better then a pizza that takes 30 minutes to deliver.
 i really think that that you cannot fight these chains on those fancy promotions. the funniest promotion i have seen was the pizza hut box that folded into a video player for the phone. really?!!   

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 07:11:27 PM »
My motto is do a very simple menu, use the best ingredients, do it way better than anyone else, charge for the experience, offer only items you truly like to make, create an old time family like experience I grew up with in NJ pizzerias, and you will develop your audience.  I learned this growing up in the NJ/NYC Italian food scene and also applied this to my way of doing music.  When you do this your customers like what you do, you like what they do, and 90%+ of your customers are like family and come in happy to experience your pies/shop vibe.  When we get the odd ball not liking something or wanting something we don't offer we listen, then state we do what we do and have no problem with them leaving without making a purchase.  The common requests we don't honor are - do you have ranch dressing for our crusts/can we have a cheese shaker for the table.  We explain we use the top imported Italian parm and romano cheeses and they are put on the pie as it is assembled and our pies are made to be in balance when they come out of the oven. Ranch and cheap table cheese ruins the pies and thus we can't do that.  We are not out to please the masses.  That is franchise territory.  Walter
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:18:06 PM by waltertore »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
Technology is invading a lot of other areas of our lives. For example, the other day I found a flyer on my doorstep from a service that uses technology to arrange for mowing of lawns. I have a fellow that I have used for years to take care of my lawn but it was interesting nonetheless to see how technology is being put in place to handle mundane things like lawn mowing. Maybe they can deliver pizzas when they come to do the lawn!!

The flyer has a link to the service, at:

https://www.tryrobin.com/

Peter