Author Topic: Smiling with Hope Pizza on Facebook  (Read 202 times)

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Smiling with Hope Pizza on Facebook
« on: July 31, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
I have never been into facebook but figure since we will soon be opening our pizzeria I need to get with the times.  I am not that versed in facebook but thanks to David Sissitka it is up and running.  Please become a friend and  share it with your pizza and social cause friends and help us create a more meaningful life for people with developmental disabilities.  Thanks.  Walter

https://www.facebook.com/SmilingWithHopePizza/timeline
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:37:04 PM by waltertore »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Smiling with Hope Pizza on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
Liked it yesterday   great pics of Paige you posted today.  Is she still working for the college?
Deb

Offline waltertore

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Liked it yesterday   great pics of Paige you posted today.  Is she still working for the college?

Thanks Deb!   Paige quit Bon Appetit about 6 months after she graduated.  I have concluded that most of the students I serve have parents no higher functioning than their child, and are not equipped to sustain their child in a job without outside support.  When they are in school I put a ton of time into keeping everything flowing right with the child and parent.  This often means helping them navigate through things that we don't give a moments worry to but they get stopped dead in their tracks with.  This is why we are going to open our own pizzeria so as to be able to work through these issues as a lifetime project vs. just a 4-5 year like I currently do.  We are going to use the pizzeria as a training center as well as employ the ones that shine.  Walter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Looks good to me.  ;D

Offline waltertore

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »
Thanks nick!  This mission my wife and I have been on for the past 22 years is moving into the next phase and hopefully we will leave something that will grow beyond us and our years on this earth and to do this we need all the friends and support we can get.  Walter

https://www.facebook.com/SmilingWithHopePizza?pnref=story

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »

Thanks Deb!   Paige quit Bon Appetit about 6 months after she graduated.  I have concluded that most of the students I serve have parents no higher functioning than their child, and are not equipped to sustain their child in a job without outside support.  When they are in school I put a ton of time into keeping everything flowing right with the child and parent.  This often means helping them navigate through things that we don't give a moments worry to but they get stopped dead in their tracks with.  This is why we are going to open our own pizzeria so as to be able to work through these issues as a lifetime project vs. just a 4-5 year like I currently do.  We are going to use the pizzeria as a training center as well as employ the ones that shine.  Walter

that's too  bad, I was hoping she would be one that could breakout of the old mold, maybe in the future when she gets a little more mature she'll go back and use the skills you taught her.  It must so frustrating for you.   I think what you are doing is awesome and wish you success in Reno. 
Deb

Offline waltertore

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
that's too  bad, I was hoping she would be one that could breakout of the old mold, maybe in the future when she gets a little more mature she'll go back and use the skills you taught her.  It must so frustrating for you.   I think what you are doing is awesome and wish you success in Reno.

Deb: It is frustrating to see this scenario play out over and over but how else could it be in reality?  Those that are born to affluence bear children that follow suit just as those born disabled and in poverty produce children of the same...........   Our culture is not set up to help each other and we give window dressing to the disabled and poor to relieve our shame but it is never near enough to give them meaningful lives.  Heck, no one ever asks to be born disabled and with 3 strikes on them their whole life.  They never can even get in the game we call making it. We are taught that we will never have enough and this creates isolated universes for each of us and in most cases we help our family network at best.  The big fear of getting old and of dying without the funds to be comfortable are powerful reinforcers in our "survival of the fittest" world.  I don't spend much time in the future with my students.  The best I can give them is a fair universe to be in when in my room.   It is like working with terminal patients.  You enjoy the moment and try not to go to the future.   We are feeling great about investing every dime we have and going into debt big time to make life for a few disabled people meaningful and in turn they make our life meaningful.   What else is there to do with ones life?  Walter

https://www.facebook.com/SmilingWithHopePizza?fref=ts
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:01:57 AM by waltertore »

pizzapan