Author Topic: Does Eating Pizza Regularly Lead to Depression?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline randyjohnsonhve

Re: Does Eating Pizza Regularly Lead to Depression?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

Would someone please put a name to the faces, I recognize Craig, Norman, Chau, Paulie and Adam, but no others...Thanks...Also, BS, and I don't mean Ball State, to depression and pizza...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

parallei

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Pete,

I need to question your diagnosis in a few of the cases.  You may be confusing depression with:

"Satiation may refer to: Satiety, feeling "full" and satisfied after eating; the cessation of hunger"

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
Old Neapolitan saying:

Pizza can't make you happy, but it can keep you damm comfortable in your misery.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
Pete,

I need to question your diagnosis in a few of the cases.  You may be confusing depression with:

"Satiation may refer to: Satiety, feeling "full" and satisfied after eating; the cessation of hunger"

Paul,

It is amazing how much pizza the guys and Norma ate. I can just about handle three slices before I start feeling queasy.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
I would say yes, it is possible. I know I'm sometimes depressed when not baking and eating pizza. I can't think of a time when I was ever depressed when baking or eating pizza, however. Disappointed or upset with my results maybe, but never depressed. If anything, unsatisfactory results make me want to bake again all the more thus increasing my depression until that day comes.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »
One of the things I did not mention is that the study that led to the depression thesis was conducted in Spain. I have not seen the actual study to know where the participants in the study lived but the country itself in the stages of a financial and economic collapse, with extremely high unemployment, a housing collapse that was worse than in the U.S. and with little of a hopeful nature on the horizon, especially for its young people. As this news report points out, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/9044897/Spains-lost-generation-youth-unemployment-surges-above-50-per-cent.html, it's hard to imagine how anyone there might not be depressed and looking for comfort in "comfort foods" at the fast-food places.

From what I have seen, our members--at least the ones who are active posters--are a happy group as a whole and very content with their pizza hobby.

Peter

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »
That explains why I want to throw myself off tall buildings all the time.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
Hmm... the article specifically states that it is referring to "junk food"... I'm not sure anything anyone in here makes can really be referred to as that...

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
Peter,

I donít think I am depressed even with all the pizzas I eat.  I think it is satisfying to be able to learn and then practice what you learned by watching how the dough ferments, baking and tasting the final results.  I just spend way too much time on the forum.  :-\ I posted before that I think I have a steel stomach and can pretty much keep up with the rest.  Sometimes on a Tuesday Steve and I will eat 6 to 7 slices.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
Hmm... the article specifically states that it is referring to "junk food"... I'm not sure anything anyone in here makes can really be referred to as that...

SquirrelFlight,

The story was picked up all around the world. Some of the media reports used the expression "junk food" but I believe the original report used the expression "fast food". Some articles used both expressions. To some people the two expressions are synonymous but usually junk food is considered food that is high in calories and low in nutritional value. In some of the media accounts I read, pizza was put in the fast food category (e.g., http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120330081352.htm). I suppose that could mean pizzas put out by many of the chains, slice joints, ninety-second Neapolitan pizzerias, etc. So, the product might be fast food but not junk food.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
I donít think I am depressed even with all the pizzas I eat.

Norma,

My original post was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek treatment of the subject because I had a hard time accepting the premise that it was the food that was causing the depression and not other factors such as mentioned in the second article I referenced. It also seemed to me that most of our members who are active on the forum, including the group that went to New York City, were well adjusted and happy with their pizza hobby, both at home and when they visit pizza establishments.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
I am seriously depressed that there is not a Pizza Town near me.  :(

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Peter,

I know your original post was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek treatment of the subject.  I also think other factors come into play when there is depression.  I like how you posted the links to the faces and would like to know what other members also think.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »
I am seriously depressed that there is not a Pizza Town near me.  :(

Chau,

Yeah. But I know that you will recreate their pizza in your WFO or home oven :-D.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Let's just say I am working on a cure for my PPTD  (Post Pizza Tour Depression).   

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 11:27:39 AM »
I've had my mobile WFO in the shop since the beginning of february (!) and I must say that not having it is creating this growing depression inside of me. Not only am I having Post Pizza Depression and haven't seen my pizza friends in what seems like forever, but I'm finding myself unable to cook like I used to, as well. It was like I just forgot everything that I used to cook. ???

It didn't really make sense to me until recently, but a pizza fridge is always stacked with left-over toppings and goodies galore. Not having them is like an empty painter's palette. It's impossible to just look in my fridge and come up with an awesome meal without pizza in my life!

dear :pizza:,

please come back to me... i'll never leave you again. all those cheap pizzas i've been ordering in your absence... they meant nothing! they weren't even good! i don't even know why i did it. :'( i'm sorry i didn't appreciate you like i should, but i know now that you are the core of my being. life is nothing without you. i'll buy you fancy cheeses and make amazing sauces... raw and cured meats and fresh veggies... nothin but the best for you, pizza! anything you want, just name it! i'll take you everywhere, pizza! you'll be the talk of the town. you and me'll make sure everyone around knows your true glory!

... just come back to me, pizza. i'm nothing without you!

love eternally,
me
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
I was reading a bit about coeliac disorder and how it can lead to a depression due to the body not being able to absorb enough nutrients from food or something. I usually get sad when I don't eat so this makes a sort of sense. 1% of the population can't handle gluten which is also very sad since they are forced to eat those gluten free pizzas, that would be enough to make sad :(

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
Pizza is considered junk food? Hmmm I thought it was a vegetable.

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
I feel down when I see people eating chain pizza like its the greatest thing on Earth.
-Bill

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
This is my pizza prozac - this is enough cold pizza leftovers to keep me from getting depressed for an entire week.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage