Author Topic: Cook or Uncooked Sauce, Shorter Rise Time Option too?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Cook or Uncooked Sauce, Shorter Rise Time Option too?
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »
I have spent quite a bit of time searching the forum here and really haven't come up with a good answer on whether to use crushed tomatoes straight from the can drained, or whether to season them and cook them down for a bit. I am trying to get that true deep dish experience, and I am also wondering if an overnight rise in the fridge is absolutely necessary for a Malnati's style deep dish pizza. I was hoping to eat it tonight, which would only give me about 8 hours from right now to rise and I guess I'd do it just out on the counter covered at room temp. Thanks so much for the help, and I am sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching. -Cory
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Cook or Uncooked Sauce, Shorter Rise Time Option too?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
I have spent quite a bit of time searching the forum here and really haven't come up with a good answer on whether to use crushed tomatoes straight from the can drained, or whether to season them and cook them down for a bit. I am trying to get that true deep dish experience, and I am also wondering if an overnight rise in the fridge is absolutely necessary for a Malnati's style deep dish pizza. I was hoping to eat it tonight, which would only give me about 8 hours from right now to rise and I guess I'd do it just out on the counter covered at room temp. Thanks so much for the help, and I am sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching. -Cory

Crushed (or ground) , uncooked, and drained is the way to go.
Tomatoes should taste good out of the can or adjust with sugar/salt as needed.
I use a bit of basil in my tomatoes.
Use just enough tomatoes to cover your pizza, but don't go overboard.

An overnight rise for your dough is not required.
Try to get at least one hour of rising in before you use your dough, but preferably 2 hours,
or punch down the dough every two hours until you are ready to use it.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
Thank you so much! I also have 6 roma tomatoes I may try and use for a sauce. I guess I would need to remove the seeds and then crush by hand? The only cooking I'd do is a 10 sec blanch to remove the skins, then puree with a immersion blender with a few chunks if that sounds about right. But then again I have canned tomatoes that I'll use if that sounds like the better idea or if the fresh roma tomatoes are a bad idea.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
Thank you so much! I also have 6 roma tomatoes I may try and use for a sauce. I guess I would need to remove the seeds and then crush by hand? The only cooking I'd do is a 10 sec blanch to remove the skins, then puree with a immersion blender with a few chunks if that sounds about right. But then again I have canned tomatoes that I'll use if that sounds like the better idea or if the fresh roma tomatoes are a bad idea.

Sounds like a lot of work, but knock yourself out if you want to crush your own tomatoes.
You'll be fine with a good can of crushed tomatoes if you have a decent brand that you like.
Lately, I like using the Muir Glen brand crushed w/basil.
What do you have on hand?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
I have a can of Cento brand crushed tomatoes. I assume they are not seasoned at all, so I guess I'll go with recommended seasonings from a recipe on this site somewhere or go with your great idea of sugar/salt and fresh basil from my plants.

This is my first attempt at a Chicago style pizza, and only my fourth pizza ever! Ha, I have all the right equipment though. I am gonna use a cast iron skillet to cook it in as well as that is all I have on hand. I have however made a lot of yeast breads and biscuits in the past, so I hope that the knowledge will transfer over to a good pizza. Sad that there are no deep dish restaurants in the Birmingham area.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
I have a can of Cento brand crushed tomatoes. I assume they are not seasoned at all, so I guess I'll go with recommended seasonings from a recipe on this site somewhere or go with your great idea of sugar/salt and fresh basil from my plants.

This is my first attempt at a Chicago style pizza, and only my fourth pizza ever! Ha, I have all the right equipment though. I am gonna use a cast iron skillet to cook it in as well as that is all I have on hand. I have however made a lot of yeast breads and biscuits in the past, so I hope that the knowledge will transfer over to a good pizza. Sad that there are no deep dish restaurants in the Birmingham area.

It's possible that your Cento tomatoes already have enough salt in them, so probably just need a little sugar if they're not sweet enough, and I use dry basil, but fresh chopped basil should be tasty.

I don't recommend using a cast iron skillet, mainly because I'd be concerned about burning the bottom of your crust,
 but others have done it with some success.
Maybe someone in here can give you some tips for using cast iron if you can't find a round cake pan.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Oh I'm headed out in a bit, I suppose I'll just go buy a cake pan and make my dough tonight and let it rise overnight and enjoy it tomorrow night that way I can get the right flavor, probably be worth waiting. Thanks so much for the help, very nice to come to a community as a new guy and have people welcome you with help! Maybe my noobness will dissipate soon.

-Cory

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:16 PM »
No luck on a cake pan other than a little 9" one. I have a bigger spring form pan, and I think that may work well. Be easy as pie to de-pan as well. I just don't know if that kind of pan is thick enough. Newb to Chicago style baking, I'm sure y'all get sick of us asking all these juvenile questions! Ha.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:50:46 PM by rcbaughn »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »
I'd say cooking pizza sauce is probably the biggest sin in the pizza-making universe. I can't think of any reason to cook sauce... ever, for any kind of pizza.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:50 AM »
I can see that, and I suppose I agree somewhat. I can see times where I might cook the tomatoes a bit with some sauteed onions, garlic, and dried herbs, especially if it's a quicker cooking thin crust. Even then I may just use the tomatoes straight out of the can. I guess I'll just keep playing with styles and combos, but my passion is to start getting pizzas out of my little kitchen that people will ask me to actually make for them when they come hang. The bonus of no more Dominoes for my own personal intake will be nice too. (Was my go-to chain pizza place...  :-D)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:59:56 AM by rcbaughn »

pizzapan