Author Topic: NY Style in my apartment  (Read 1231 times)

Offline jshap88

NY Style in my apartment
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
Well I just made my first post in the New Forum Member section and now it's time for my first post about what we really care about, PIZZA!  As I mentioned in my post in the new member section, my goal is to perfect new york style pizza and eventually incorporate at least one thing that will be unique to MY pizzas.  I'm not sure what that is going to be but I will figure it out through trial and error.  But first, I must perfect new york style.  So here goes nothing.

The first picture is my first attempt at new york style pizza in my apartment.  I was extremely pleased with it.  It turned out to be approximately 14-14.5" which I know is small but is all my smaller pizza peel can handle right now.  I have a 16" stone so as soon as I get a larger peel I should be able to make 16" pies.  My recipe:

KABF Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (.2%):   
Salt (1.5%):   
Olive Oil (1.5%):   
Sugar (1.5%):   
Total (164.7%):   
To Make: 2 15" w/ .07 TF and 3% bowl residue   
Each dough ball: 360g

I make all of my doughs in a Cuisinart food processor.  I originally started making dough in the standard Kitchen Aid Standing mixer with mixed results.  Since switching to the food processor I have never looked back.  I combine all dry ingredients in the food processor and then drizzle in the water.  I kneaded the dough in the processor for 15 sec, two times.  Then I allowed the dough to rest for 10 min.  I then added the olive oil and kneaded for 15 sec, three times.  The dough was extremely smooth and easy to work with by this point.  I allowed it to rest for 10 min and then it was smooth as a baby's butt!!  The dough was balled and placed in the fridge for three days.

The pizza cooked on a 530 deg stone for 3:30 min.  I then moved the pizza to a rack directly under the broiler and cooked for an additional 4:30 min.  I was surprised that I was very satisfied with the results.  I thought the dough was going to be tough after baking for 8 min, but it wasnt.  I guess that is one thing that I don't know if I'm on board with for true new york style, slightly tougher and leathery dough.  I still want my dough soft and tender but with a slight crisp on the bottom.  I think I am ultimately looking for about a 4 min pizza. 

Ultimately I was very satisfied with my first pizza in the apartment.  *Note: it was supposed to be half pepperoni but as you can see the pepperoni slid into the middle and all over the place!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: NY Style in my apartment
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
jshap88,

You did a terrific job. Congratulations. I'm sure in due course you will find that special thing that makes your NY style pizzas unique.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
jshap88,

Your pizza is a very nice looking NY style!  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:42:03 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline politon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
Congrats! Nice pie, looks yummy.

Offline franko9752

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
Great 1st try. Keep on cooking :pizza: Your recipie is a good start too.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
Josh, I think your pie is beautiful. I look forward to seeing more!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
That pie looks great! Nice job.  :D

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
Excellent pizza! Making me HUNGRY!!

:pizza:

I wanted to ask,why is the broiler bake time taking so long? For example,in my home electric oven,I can cook the pizza on the stone(lowest rack) for 2 minutes or so,then transfer it to the upper rack,under the broiler,and most of the time,a minute + would be too much and burn the top of the pie.

What I do is,as soon as I launch the pie onto the stone,I turn the broiler on.The stone is already HOT so as soon as the under crust is cooking,I can move the pie up to the broiler,where its glowing hot and ready to go.

-Bill

Offline Malanga

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
Jshapp88... that pic makes me want to have pizza NOW!!!  From one rookie to another... nice job dude!

Offline jshap88

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words!  chickenparm, I guess I forgot to mention to everyone I am using a gas oven, hence, a gas broiler. I dont think it is as powerful as an electric broiler.  I have actually made additional pizzas since the one pictured above, using different baking methods in the oven.  I found the pizza browned quicker on the 3rd rack from the top instead of the 2nd from the top. I'm not sure if that was a fluke or if there is reason behind it.

Below is a photo of a pie I made the other night where I actually did exactly what you said chickenparm and preheated the stone normally, then moved the stone to the 3rd rack from the top and turned the broiler on.  I left the broiler on for 10 min and was able to increase the surface temp of the stone from 530F to 618F. I then launched the pie with the broiler still on(unfortunately my broiler doesnt stay on so I have to time it right or it will turn off on me). This pie cooked for exactly 5 min. Also, the way my broiler works, I have to rotate the pie while its under the broiler or it doesnt cook evenly.  I love when I get those little bubbles in the crust (which I know has been discussed in a thread before)

(There's only pepperoni on one portion because I just wanted to use what I had left!)

Offline Malanga

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »
Someone has some natural skills!  Props to you man.  They look delicious!  I'd pay for it.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
I agree with everyone, AWESOME looking pie! Keep up the good work :pizza:
-Jay

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
Wow,that recent one is awesome as well! Excellent job!
 :pizza:
-Bill

pizzapan