Author Topic: Weber Genesis Pizza Oven  (Read 3640 times)

Offline painlessone

Weber Genesis Pizza Oven
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
I found a way to make my Weber cook better pizzas than just using a stone.  The total project cost $17.  It took 10 firebrick "splits at $1.10 each and two sections of 3/4 inch angle iron from Home Depot that I cut in half.  If you want to use firebrick on the bottom to cook on, it will take six more firebricks.
The Weber has a 60 degree slope on the front of the lid.  I cut the two front bricks at 60 degree so the lid can be sealed during preheat.  There is a large gap behind the pizza stone (or firebricks) to allow the heat to come up the back and out to the front while cooking the pie with the lid cracked open.
With my stone on the bottom I can experiment with gaps on the sides also.  I will see if I can upload some photos.
The firebrick need to be cured and dried before you try to cook on it.  The bricks have alot of moisture inside when they have been out in a masonary supply yard.
It will reach 550 degrees with a 45 min preheat.

Online moose13

Re: Weber Genesis Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »
Was thinking about doing something similar. Any pictures of your pizzas? How is it working for you?

Offline DannyG

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
Nice set-up. I'm glad to see you trying this as I have the same grill. Have you experimented with letting it preheat longer to see the maximum temperature you can achieve?

Offline painlessone

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
I tried it out for the first time Saturday night.  I made four pies in a row and they got better as it continued to heat. 
Everyone ate the pies so fast, I didn't remember to take pictures I only had a few leftover pieces to photograph.  I ordered one of the inexpensive infrared sensors from Amazon so when it comes I will be able to check the temps and make some modifications...I will post
These were better than the ones from my oven but I mainly wanted to do them outdoors because my ovens vent into the kitchen and I don't like the house smoked up.

Offline tc232

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »
uhm, maybe a basic question but what did you use to cut the fire bricks?

Also, have you considered to use less bricks, cover the unused surface with aluminum foil to funnel the heat and so get to higher temps. I understood you need about 600 degrees surface temperature of the stone and 700 of the air

Offline painlessone

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
The first time I scored the firebrick with a grout file and tapped them apart.  I helped someone else make one and we used a hack saw to score the bricks on both sides then layed the score line along a flat surface and tapped with a hammer.  They break apart easily.  Now I have a saw blade for my Skil saw.  Cuts them like butter.
I tried lining the bricks with foil and the temperature increased.  The problem is I like to use the BBQ for things other than Pizza so I am trying to keep it simple to take apart .
The purpose of all the bricks is to use as a heat sink so the temperature stays hot when the lid is opened.

Offline tc232

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 01:02:34 AM »
I tried this set up this weekend, not too bad. Made a frutti di mare, cooked in about 5 min. Next time will do a longer pre-heat, lift the cover only by a crack when inserting and getting the pizzas out and use a pizza peel.

Offline jduchon

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
Looks like a great idea.  One I can duplicate.  Many Thanks for posting.