Author Topic: Pre-hydrate IDY?  (Read 134 times)

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
Pre-hydrate IDY?
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
I hand mix the dough for my cracker crust and add the IDY in dry.  I read in another post that if you hand mix you should pre-hydrate IDY just like ADY.  Has anyone tried this?  If so, how much water and what tempature? 

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pre-hydrate IDY?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
I always add my IDY to my room temp water in the bowl first, and mix it a couple minutes to dissolve the yeast granules.

I then add a fraction of the flour to make a slurry and mix for a couple minutes.

I do this mainly because I use very little yeast and want good distribution in my mix.

I then mix everything else in. Always works for me.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Thomas,

See Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21801.msg220619;topicseen#msg220619

Petet

Pete - that's exactly what I was looking for.  My crust came out fine last time but I'm always looking to improve.  I'll give this a shot over the weekend and post the results!

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »
I always add my IDY to my room temp water in the bowl first, and mix it a couple minutes to dissolve the yeast granules.

I then add a fraction of the flour to make a slurry and mix for a couple minutes.

I do this mainly because I use very little yeast and want good distribution in my mix.

I then mix everything else in. Always works for me.

I use very little yeast in my NYC recipe and I'll try this next time to make sure the yeast is distributed well in the dough

pizzapan