Author Topic: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!  (Read 22126 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Dough Doctors cracker...No fail!
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Nice thin slices, Crispy with a little chew. Not as good as my last.
Nick, your pizza looks really good and the way you describe the crust sure sounds a lot like old school PH thin an crispy. Puzzling about the lack of improved dough flavor with all that ferment time....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Nick,

You are quite a talented guy. Are you a professional artist or is painting another hobby? Either way, your painting is very nice.

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Thanks! Yes I am a infamous staving artist. Well, not starving so much. Been doing different forms of art all my life, though at one time I helped install the first MRI machine in the states. It was so cutting edge it did not have FDA approval yet.  I'm a real technical geek and can just about repair anything made by man. I think that helps me with my cooking and creating recipes with very specific steps.  This is another piece I finished last week, it's of a villa on lake Como in Italy.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:25:43 PM by nick57 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »
Nick,

Also very impressive. Do you have a website and sell your paintings? And when are you going to make a painting of one of your cracker-style pizzas? ;D

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
I don't have a site yet. But, I am on brushstroke.com. It's a community of artists, that show off some of their art. Just click on my name in the artist list to see some of my creations. I do Mayfest every year, and the Blue Dome Festival, plus lot of others throughout the year. I display in several galleries in the area, plus donate several pieces for charity. It's been tough times for most artists, people are holding on to their money. I sell many different art products besides my original art. I sell magnets, mouse pads, and prints of my art work. People want to buy something at art festivals, so I give them an inexpensive price. Most of those are purchased as gifts they can give to loved ones. It's a market that is always changing. What is hot one year is not the next, so I am always changing my subject to fit the taste of the consumer. It sounds like I am selling myself out. Not. I like variety. One of the greatest artists I know, told me to paint what the people want, but paint it the way you want. You'll be true to yourself, plus be able to have a slice or two of pizza and a beer. well maybe not the last , but I like that.

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
Question about the rise of the dough. With the crumb type texture dough does it rise much? Or not as much as say a NY style dough?
Thanks.

Offline stephenfield79

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
hi how do i get jimmy v cracker style pizza recipe, not sure how to do this thanks steve

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
hi how do i get jimmy v cracker style pizza recipe, not sure how to do this thanks steve

Steve,

I believe the cracker style pizza recipe that Jimmy V used is the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php. However, if you use the Advanced search feature and use "cracker"(without the quotes) as the search term and Jimmy V as the user, you should be able to find all of Jimmy V's posts on the cracker style.

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
I've gotten a few questions on the finer details and for my final recipe for  my cracker crust. So, this is a reply on my latest request for more info. This highlights of main procedures for making the crust. It's still best to read the whole thread, but this is a quick overview of the procedure.

Yeah there is a lot of info on the thread. My main goal was to experiment with different techniques to perfect a crisp and flaky cracker crust like Pizza Hut's from the 60's and early 70's. Just for fun I picked up a thin and crispy pizza from Pizza Hut last week. It was more like thin and crappy. It reminded me of frozen pre made pizza dough. It was thin, but dense and chewy. Another let down.
  Use the dough calculator I have on page 1 of the thread.  The only modification to it is to use 3.5 teaspoons of oil instead of 1.13 teaspoons of oil.

1... If the dough ball has a lot of dry flour after hand mixing, spray with just enough water to form a cohesive ball. Use as little water possible to achieve this.
2... I use active dry yeast. I proof the yeast in the water before adding it to the dough mixture.
3...Make sure to let the dough sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours, then warm up on the counter for 2 to 3 hours.
4... Roll the dough out to the thickness of a dime. You will have a lot of leftover dough, which you can use to make a personal pizza if ya want. Be sure to dock the crust.
5...You do need a pizza stone to get a crisp and crackery crust.
6... Par bake the crust for 2 to 3 minutes in the pan on the stone. Make sure the stone has been heated for an hour at your stove's highest setting, mine goes to 550. Remove crust from pan and place directly on the stone till you just start seeing some light brown spots on the skin, about 2 to 3 minutes.
7... Let the crust cool down to room temp on a cooling rack before topping. Adjust the oven temp to 425 degrees.
8... Place the topped skin directly  on the stone and cook till cheese is bubbly and crust has browned.
9... Place on a cooling rack and let it rest a few minutes before slicing.
10... Enjoy!!
11...  To reheat, place in non stick pan on the stove. Use medium heat and a lid to trap the heat. The pan method works best for cracker crust, as it keeps the crust form getting soggy like it does in the stove.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:34:33 PM by nick57 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
Thank you Nick...you have put a lot of thought and time into this and it is greatly appreciated.  :chef:
Bob

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
Thanks Bob!! I like what I have achieved so far. But, I am still looking for the holy grail in cracker crusts. I used the best of what the members have share There are a lot of amazing pie makers here. I thank them all for their and yours help and time. I've been trying to make NY style lately. No too bad so far, though it is a steep learning curve. I will post a thread when I feel I have something that is close the NY heavenly pies.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
One of the visitor's  to the forum was having problems with my cracker technique. So, I decided to make a pizza again and see if I could replicate my results again. It turned out the same as my last try, if not a bit better. I think his two main problems was that his dough was too hydrated, and the skin was not thin enough.  I took pics of the procedure. This is the dough after the 24 hour rise in the fridge.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
This is the skin after I rolled it out. I used a dime and credit card to illustrate the thickness of the skin.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
Skin in the pan, and I docked it pretty heavy.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
This is after the par bake. Nice bubbles and a little browning.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
Topped and into the oven.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
 Finished pie.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »
Nice thin slices with a little bit of lamination.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
It was very light and crispy. It had a very light bite, was not dense or chewy. I think this is a far as I want to go with cracker crust. It was a very tasty pie, and I don't think I can do any better. Of course I might try beer instead of water next time, Maybe I could get a yeasty flavored crust.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
Another classic looking winner as usual Nick!  :)
Great job on the write up/post too...visual aids an all. ;D This should help get your friend up to speed.
A yeasty/beer crust would be great man(circa 70's PH)....hope you will give it a go one day soon. Thanks for your primo cracker experiments.
Bob