Today I decided to try Steve's pancake recipe from this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,392.msg27220.html#msg27220
. Using his recipe, the batter was way thicker than I wanted it, so I made one change, adding two extra ounces of buttermilk. I originally measured everything by either volume or quantity, then I weighed each ingredient that was heavy enough to register on my scale (so I could convert the volumetric measurements to bakers' percents).
So here's the formula:
100% KAAP flour (5.45 oz)
200% Buttermilk (10.9 oz)
39% Egg (2.125 oz, which was one egg)
20% Butter (1.125 oz)
2% Baking soda (1/4 tsp)
1% Salt (1/4 tsp)
As weird as that looks, I think it's right. Not 100 percent sure, though.
My objective is to learn how to make pancakes that are good enough to sell at a restauant (that has customers). These didn't come close. They weren't bad, but I'd be very dissatisfied if a restaurant served me pancakes like this. The Hungry Jack "Complete" pancakes are considerably better than these. However, these were probably better than pancakes I made from Bisquick recently. (Of course, I thought the Bisquick pancakes were very bad, so comparing them to Bisquick doesn't say much.)
The baking soda didn't do much of anything, which means these pancakes were essentially unleavened. The color and texture weren't what I was looking for, either.
Obviously I would not suggest using this recipe/formula for pancakes. I don't know if I'm going to try to use this as a base for future pancake experiments, though. If I do, I'll probably add a considerable amount of baking powder and maybe some sugar, too. Don't ask me why because I don't know yet. I took a couple pictures, but I'm not going to take the time to upload them unless people ask me to.