Author Topic: Pancakes!  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Pancakes!
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
OK, there's gotta be a pancake guru around here. Who is it? I'm not even gonna bother looking at any other web sites because almost every other cooking-related web site is full of it. Hungry Jack's "Complete Buttermilk" mix makes some good easy-to-make pancakes, but I want to know how to make good real pancakes, and it's just not my territory... yet.

So who knows something about pancakes?

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Pancakes!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »
Im guilty to say I use ,"Aint Jo Momma" on the pancake box?" Just add water and mix.

;D

Seriously,I would love to know a good home made recipe.My Mother and relatives would make the best home made stuff when I was a kid.I used to watch her get out the flour,eggs,water,and all the other things,and use the egg beater to mix the batter smooth.F'n awesome.Instant could never touch it.

8)
-Bill

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
IMO, the key to great pancakes is buttermilk.

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbs melted butter

Mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, butter, and buttermilk together, and then add dry ingredients. Measurements are approximate because I usually just do it by eye. You can add more flour if it's too thin or more buttermilk if it's too thick.

The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
If you really want to delve into "pancake-dom", watch the pancake episode of Good Eats on Youtube. Alton really breaks them apart well!
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
I don't trust anything Alton Brown says, nor do I trust anything I hear from any other Food Network chef, particularly about pizza or anything that uses flour as the main ingredient. Alton Brown was horribly wrong about pizza in 'Flat is Beautiful,' yet he acted like he knew what he was talking about. It kept me in a pizza stalemate for a long time because I trusted him. Won't happen again.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
Ryan,  have made thase before and they are fantastic.  To me pancakes and waffles are some of the simplest uses of sourdough,  and excess sourdough starter that I can think of.  They contribute flour water and flavor.  Leavening is not really part of the equation.  Try this recipe,  and adjust sweetness level to your liking,  the only other variables are pan type,  grease type,  and heat level.
 http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-pancakes/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=sourdough%20pancakes&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Marc

PS just use whatever very active sourdough starter tha you have on hand.  To me,  the ultimate pancake cannot be made without sourdough starter.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:13:14 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
I got much better at both waffles and pancakes when I realized many years ago that the differences are greater than the similarities. My best waffle recipe makes less than satisfactory pancakes and vice-versa. In our house, it's sourdough waffles and buttermilk pancakes. And after trying dozens and dozens of pancake recipes over the years, the one we all prefer is so simple it feels like cheating:

1. Follow the directions for pancakes on the back of the package of:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Buttermilk-Biscuit-Baking-Mix/dp/B0058EGSB8/?tag=pizzamaking-20

2. Instead of milk, use buttermilk

3. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of:

http://www.amazon.com/Buttery-Sweet-Flavor-LorAnn-Oils/dp/B0018AKWZ4/?tag=pizzamaking-20

4. Contrary to the package instructions, melted butter in the batter is not optional.

5. Grease griddle with butter, not oil.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »

4. Contrary to the package instructions, melted butter in the batter is not optional.

5. Grease griddle with butter, not oil.
+1 and +1   butter is a must.

Any mix, even Bisquick, is way better if you use buttermilk instead of milk.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Cool to see a lot of responses so quickly. I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. (Honestly, I didn't bother looking beyond the first page, so for all I know there may be a killer pancake thread already.)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
Chocolate goes real well with buttermilk pancakes too. I usually sprinkle some miniature chocolate chips on each pancake shortly after pouring it on the griddle. This way the people that don't want them don't have to have them.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:19:50 AM »
Sorry to steer off topic, but I have to defend Alton! How did he go so awry on his pizza episode to you? Both the grilled episode, Flat is Beautiful II, and original one you mentioned, Flat is Beautiful, seemed like a legitimate style of making pizza. Not my style, but maybe for some none-the-less. I thought they turned out pretty good, although I do disagree with the stone being on the very bottom of the oven.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline mnjesse

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »
I've always used the taste of home recipe out of their cookbook, but we like to subsitute coconut milk for the buttermilk. It gives them a little something extra and sets them apart from standard pancakes.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
I use this.

180 ml milk
30 ml white vinegar
125 g all-purpose flour
25 g white sugar
5 g baking powder
2 g baking soda
3 g salt
1 egg
30 g butter, melted

Add milk to vinegar stir and let sit 5 minutes (While prepping dry ingredients) mix dry ingredients and add soured milk, egg and butter, mix till incorporated.  I mix the last 20 seconds on a really high speed to get air into the mix (In theory) 

I've tried sourdough pancakes and I'm sure if you have a good active starter that you're familiar with you'll get good results.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
There is an old thread about pancakes on the forum that I will dig up later if someone doesn't beat me to it. I haven't had the chance to try any of the recipes yet as I have only just begun my journey.

My two attempts were based on a foodwishes.com recipe for old fashioned pancakes, except I was raised with half buckwheat (not always 50% but appx) so I tweaked for the addition of some buckwheat.

I'd love to hear anyone else's favorites who enjoys incorporating the buckwheat flavor!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/default

Gawd!!! I grew up on it... :)

Problem solved... :P

Next please, Waffles!!!!! :D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
Today I decided to try Steve's pancake recipe from this post: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,392.msg27220.html#msg27220. Using his recipe, the batter was way thicker than I wanted it, so I made one change, adding two extra ounces of buttermilk. I originally measured everything by either volume or quantity, then I weighed each ingredient that was heavy enough to register on my scale (so I could convert the volumetric measurements to bakers' percents).

So here's the formula:

100% KAAP flour (5.45 oz)
200% Buttermilk (10.9 oz)
39% Egg (2.125 oz, which was one egg)
20% Butter (1.125 oz)
2% Baking soda (1/4 tsp)
1% Salt (1/4 tsp)

As weird as that looks, I think it's right. Not 100 percent sure, though.

My objective is to learn how to make pancakes that are good enough to sell at a restauant (that has customers). These didn't come close. They weren't bad, but I'd be very dissatisfied if a restaurant served me pancakes like this. The Hungry Jack "Complete" pancakes are considerably better than these. However, these were probably better than pancakes I made from Bisquick recently. (Of course, I thought the Bisquick pancakes were very bad, so comparing them to Bisquick doesn't say much.)

The baking soda didn't do much of anything, which means these pancakes were essentially unleavened. The color and texture weren't what I was looking for, either.

Obviously I would not suggest using this recipe/formula for pancakes. I don't know if I'm going to try to use this as a base for future pancake experiments, though. If I do, I'll probably add a considerable amount of baking powder and maybe some sugar, too. Don't ask me why because I don't know yet. I took a couple pictures, but I'm not going to take the time to upload them unless people ask me to.

Offline mnjesse

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
I tried Steve's recipe on Saturday. After mixing them up, the batter was very thin. I ended up adding about another 1/4 c of flour to thicken them up a bit. They rose considerably in the pan, but were not very fluffy. They tasted good, but not as fluffy as I like my pancakes. However, some homemade blackberry jam spruced them up quite a bit.

"The 1954 recipe is a little confusing the way it's written.
I've attempted to translate it to 2004 English:
Mix 1 quart buttermilk with 1 oz. baking soda. Set aside.

Sift together 2 T. sugar, 1 t. salt, and 1 pound bread flour.

Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1 oz. baking powder.

Stir in buttermilk mixture and add 1 yeast cake (or 1 packet dry yeast). Mix.

Whip 10 eggs to a light froth, fold into mixture.

Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, stir in 1 cup heavy cream.

Cook in lightly oiled skillet at 375 degrees F. about 1 minute each side.

Top with whipped butter and syrup."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »
How about some pictures???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mnjesse

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
I forgot to take some pics.