Author Topic: NY style with whey replacing the water  (Read 1977 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
NY style with whey replacing the water
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
I had posted about using whey to replace the water in my thread about making homemade Ricotta at Reply 8  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19051.msg186405.html#msg186405   The whey NY style pizza turned out very well.  The dough was a little drier than when using water, but the dough ball opened up well and the pizza baked well.  There was a buttery taste in the crust.  There was good oven spring and good bottom crust browning.  The bottom crust did have a yellow hue.

GM Full Strength flour was used as the flour.

Steve, my taste testers and I enjoyed this pizza, because it was different.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: NY style with whey replacing the water
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
We made whole milk ricotta and saved the whey for making dough.  I thought the whey definitely improved out dough which was previously a little lackluster in the flavor department.  We made ours using citric acid using Ricki Carroll's recipe, which, excepting the use of citric acid in place of lemon juice or vinegar, is quite similar to yours.  Next time we will try to adjust our recipe for a creamier result, but what we we made went quite well on our "Three Cheese" pizza: homemade mozzarella and ricotta, plus purchased Parmigiana.     

While I get pretty nice structure on my dough, I don't get the nice cornice that you do.  Not sure why, maybe because we roll our dough out instead of hand stretching?  We do a traditional poolish (preferment) for our dough: flour, water, yeast and let develop for 4 to 12 hours. Then we mix the poolish and rest of the ingredients and knead.  We let that result rise in the refrigerator overnight.  With the whey, we did not get as much rise as previously but it rolled out nicely and with a new flavor note.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:57:20 AM by Tatoosh »
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:51:53 AM »
We made whole milk ricotta and saved the whey for making dough.  I thought the whey definitely improved out dough which was previously a little lackluster in the flavor department.  We made ours using citric acid using Ricki Carroll's recipe, which, excepting the use of citric acid in place of lemon juice or vinegar, is quite similar to yours.  Next time we will try to adjust our recipe for a creamier result, but what we we made went quite well on our "Three Cheese" pizza: homemade mozzarella and ricotta, plus purchased Parmigiana.     

While I get pretty nice structure on my dough, I don't get the nice cornice that you do.  Not sure why, maybe because we roll our dough out instead of hand stretching?  We do a traditional poolish (preferment) for our dough: flour, water, yeast and let develop for 4 to 12 hours. Then we mix the poolish and rest of the ingredients and knead.  We let that result rise in the refrigerator overnight.  With the whey, we did not get as much rise as previously but it rolled out nicely and with a new flavor note.

Tatoosh,

It is good to hear that you think the whey improved the crust flavor.  Your “Three Cheese” pizza looks delicious.  I really like how you homemade mozzarella strings so well.   ;D

On the matter of the cornice did you skin have some small bubbles in the skin when you rolled it out, or did rolling take out the bubbles if there were any? 

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »
The dough was pretty uniform when we rolled it out.  We do get somewhat of a cornice, but not as developed as yours.  I would like to move to hand stretched or formed pies, instead of rolled.  But that won't happen until I figure out what to use for a surface.  We have a wonderful stainless prep table in the kitchen, but it's not quite ideal for forming pies. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:56 AM »
The dough was pretty uniform when we rolled it out.  We do get somewhat of a cornice, but not as developed as yours.  I would like to move to hand stretched or formed pies, instead of rolled.  But that won't happen until I figure out what to use for a surface.  We have a wonderful stainless prep table in the kitchen, but it's not quite ideal for forming pies.

Tatoosh,

I don't know if this interests you, but I used to open my dough balls on a stainless steel table at market.  I was new to making pizza then and didn't know much of anything.  In this thread is where I first learned about making pizza and at Reply 55 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8341.msg74713.html#msg74713 you can see part of the stainless steel table I used to open the dough balls.  I now use marble on top of that same stainless steel table to open the dough balls.  I think by experimenting and learning more about opening dough balls, I could now open dough balls on most kinds of surfaces that are conductive to opening dough balls.  Don't laugh too much if you look at other parts of that thread.  I sure didn't know what I was doing back then and still don't some of the time.  :-D

If you really want to open your dough balls by hand it just takes some practice. 

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 04:19:05 AM »
Thank you very much!  I very much do want to learn to do the "dough balls" by hand and teach my brothers-in-law too.  Both of them are "HRM" students here in the Philippines.  HRM is short for Hotel/Restaurant Management.  One just graduated with his Bachelors Degree and the next brother started in this on the same degree after working as a meat cutter/sales person for a couple of years. 

I am also checking out the video mentioned above hosted over at PQM.com.  I seriously want to improve my pizza dough and handling skills at home and possibly for a small artisan pizza shop in the Philippines some time down the road.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »
Thank you very much!  I very much do want to learn to do the "dough balls" by hand and teach my brothers-in-law too.  Both of them are "HRM" students here in the Philippines.  HRM is short for Hotel/Restaurant Management.  One just graduated with his Bachelors Degree and the next brother started in this on the same degree after working as a meat cutter/sales person for a couple of years. 

I am also checking out the video mentioned above hosted over at PQM.com.  I seriously want to improve my pizza dough and handling skills at home and possibly for a small artisan pizza shop in the Philippines some time down the road.

Tatoosh,

I think Tony Gemignai's video is good at showing how to open a dough ball if you want to practice opening a dough ball and then teaching your brothers-in-law too. 
Tony Gemignani - How to Make Pizza Dough Fundamentals

These are also a few of other videos of awhile ago of Steve (Ev) opening a dough ball and me opening dough balls.

MOV02900.MPG

MOV00304.MPG

MOV01540.MPG

MOV00177.MPG

MOV01543.MPG

I wish you the best of luck and success if you decide to open a small artisan pizza shop in the Philippines somewhere down the road.  ;D

Norma