Author Topic: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012  (Read 22704 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Re: Gardening tomatoes, herbs, and some veggies for 2012
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »
Aside from the heat slowing down the setting of the tomatoes and peppers in these pots they have done quite well for us. One variety of tomato that I used in these pots is called Healthy Girl. It looks something like a Roma, but is more egg shaped, it also has a tough skin like a Roma but is more dense and solid than any Roma I've seen. It is a fantastic tomato to use as either a topping or my favorite is to use it in place of sauce, in my humble opinion, nothing is more natural tasting than real, fresh tomato on a pizza.

HMMMM, you might want to check out these Rio Grandes sometime, Doc...

http://www.growitalian.com/products/Tomato-Rio-Grande.html

http://www.roma-tomato.com/rio-grande-roma.html   ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:01:03 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
Norma;
You're lucky to have such a bountiful garden this year. With the ongoing drought we have lost one garden (beans, carrots, turnips, etc.) due to lack of subsoil moisture. You just can't water enough to compensaye for lack of rain, a VERY dry winter last year, and then add to that over a month of 100F+ temperatures! Our other garden with squash and watermelon is a raised bed garden and is doing just OK, but the excessive heat is taking its toll. I hedged my bets this spring and did another "potted" garden, using salvaged calf feed containers (about the size of a bushel basket) and literally lined our drive way with them. They are are easy to really pour the water to, and retain the water much better than our raised beds. Aside from the heat slowing down the setting of the tomatoes and peppers in these pots they have done quite well for us. One variety of tomato that I used in these pots is called Healthy Girl. It looks something like a Roma, but is more egg shaped, it also has a tough skin like a Roma but is more dense and solid than any Roma I've seen. It is a fantastic tomato to use as either a topping or my favorite is to use it in place of sauce, in my humble opinion, nothing is more natural tasting than real, fresh tomato on a pizza. Lets hope this silly drought comes to an end soon!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

I have seen on TV and read in the newspaper how bad the drought is in Kansas. :(  I am sorry to hear you lost one garden due to the lack of rain and the excessive heat is taking it taking its toll on your other garden that is a raised bed garden.  I am glad to hear at least your ďpottedĒ gardens are doing better.  I never hear of using salvaged calf feed containers for a raised garden.  You are very creative!  ;D The Healthy Girl tomato sounds very interesting.  I never tried to grow that kind of tomato before.  I also agree there is nothing better tasting that a fresh tomato and to have them on a pizza only makes the pizza better.  ;D I hope your drought soon stops in your area of the country.  Those temps over 100 degrees F are a killer.

I thought for awhile we were going to have a drought, but we were fortunate in our neck of the woods that it started raining more.   

Continue to let us know how you are making out with your gardens.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Those temps over 100 degrees F are a killer.

I thought for awhile we were going to have a drought, but we were fortunate in our neck of the woods that it started raining more.

Those killer 100 degree temperatures, along with the dry weather, followed by the heavy rains we had recently really put a hurtin' on my first harvest of Redortas, Norma.  LOL   :)

They look a heck of a lot better in the pot.  I'm currently getting ready to mill this batch here shortly.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2012, 06:49:54 AM »
Those killer 100 degree temperatures, along with the dry weather, followed by the heavy rains we had recently really put a hurtin' on my first harvest of Redortas, Norma.  LOL   :)

They look a heck of a lot better in the pot.  I'm currently getting ready to mill this batch here shortly.   ;D

Pete,

I know it has been around 100 degrees F lately in our area with a lot of thunderstorms.  Sorry to hear the weather put a hurtiní on your first harvest of Redortas.  :( I wonder why since you live in my area, that I am not having the same problem with my tomatoes.  I didnít fertilize at all this year, but did add the alpaca, donkey compost to my soil last year.  What do you think I am not having problems with my tomatoes?   That darn alpaca, donkey compost sure did give me a lot of weeds to get out of the garden before I planted anything.   

Do you first blanch your Redortas before you mill them.  I didnít have a food mill last year and made Lesís sweet sauce with a lot of my tomatoes last year.  I want to mill some tomatoes this year, so that is why I am asking. 

I think trying to garden is something like pizza making.  You never know what is going to happen.  :-D  Maybe that is why I like trying to garden, but then I didnít figure out yet why I like to garden.  :-\ I guess I just like to try gardening to watch plants grow. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
Those Rio Grandes look like a really meaty paste tomato.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy a good mill?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
Pete,

I know it has been around 100 degrees F lately in our area with a lot of thunderstorms.  Sorry to hear the weather put a hurtiní on your first harvest of Redortas.  :( I wonder why since you live in my area, that I am not having the same problem with my tomatoes.  I didnít fertilize at all this year, but did add the alpaca, donkey compost to my soil last year.  What do you think I am not having problems with my tomatoes?   That darn alpaca, donkey compost sure did give me a lot of weeds to get out of the garden before I planted anything.  

Do you first blanch your Redortas before you mill them.  I didnít have a food mill last year and made Lesís sweet sauce with a lot of my tomatoes last year.  I want to mill some tomatoes this year, so that is why I am asking.  

I think trying to garden is something like pizza making.  You never know what is going to happen.  :-D  Maybe that is why I like trying to garden, but then I didnít figure out yet why I like to garden.  :-\ I guess I just like to try gardening to watch plants grow.  

Norma

LOL Norma!!!  Hey, that's what makes gardening so much fun, even for so-called "professionals" like me.   ::)

Some tomatoes, generally those with thinner skins, have a tendency to crack and split after heavy rains when they're close to ripening.  I guess the Redortas are one of those. Gardener's Delight cherries are notorious for it but they taste too darn good so I'll just pick any that are close before a rainstorm.  Sugar Lumps, Brandywines, and Rio Grandes seem to hold up well. The little Matt's Wild Cherry like to split also even though I think they're relatively thick-skinned for a small cherry-type.

I peel using the boiling water trick, trim, mash, and cook my tomatoes for about half an hour or so until they break down enough for easy milling.  That helps initially remove some of the water also.  Once milled, I'll reduce the sauce even further in a roasting pan in a slow, 180-degree oven.  It won't scorch like on the stovetop and the dry air in the oven seems to cut down on the total time needed for proper reduction.

As a matter of fact, even though I just milled the tomatoes late last evening, my very first batch of this season's pizza sauce is already done...   ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:42:46 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
Those Rio Grandes look like a really meaty paste tomato.

I might take a look at that ACEA #355, Bob...

http://www.kasbahouse.com/villawareonline/food_berry_mills.asp   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:37:55 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
Found it!!    http://kasbahouse.com/detail.asp?product_id=355

LOLOLOL   8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »

Bob,

My food mill is just a cheap one I purchased at a flea market.  I will give it a try, but donít know how it will work.  If I recall right, I think I only paid 5.00 for it. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
LOL Norma!!!  Hey, that's what makes gardening so much fun, even for so-called "professionals" like me.   ::)

Some tomatoes, generally those with thinner skins, have a tendency to crack and split after heavy rains when they're close to ripening.  I guess the Redortas are one of those. Gardener's Delight cherries are notorious for it but they taste too darn good so I'll just pick any that are close before a rainstorm.  Sugar Lumps, Brandywines, and Rio Grandes seem to hold up well. The little Matt's Wild Cherry like to split also even though I think they're relatively thick-skinned for a small cherry-type.

I peel using the boiling water trick, trim, mash, and cook my tomatoes for about half an hour or so until they break down enough for easy milling.  That helps initially remove some of the water also.  Once milled, I'll reduce the sauce even further in a roasting pan in a slow, 180-degree oven.  It won't scorch like on the stovetop and the dry air in the oven seems to cut down on the total time needed for proper reduction.

As a matter of fact, even though I just milled the tomatoes late last evening, my very first batch of this season's pizza sauce is already done...   ;D

Pete,

I know gardening is fun, but sometimes it can get frustrating when things keep going wrong.  :-D  At least you know a lot more about gardening than I do, so I will rely somewhat on you and other members.   :angel:

Thanks for also telling me what happens that make tomato skins split.  I didnít know that before.

I appreciate you telling me how you make your pizza sauce.  It looks yummy!  ;D I have a bunch of tomatoes that I might try to make into sauce today. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
Well, I knew I would have bad luck if I posted about tomato hornworms.  :-D I was outside working this afternoon and on the one tomato plant (the Jet Star), I found a tomato hornworm.  I also found some kind of eggs on the underside of the leaves of another kind of heirloom tomato plant.

I think Bob1 told me that flowers on oregano can be used for seasoning if they are dried.  I canít recall how he mentioned to use the oregano flowers.  The oregano flowers have many bees on them now.  I did cut off the flowers on my other oregano plants, but left the flowers on one oregano plant.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
He's baaa-aaak!   :'(
Dang Norma....have you been singing to your plants? It's possible that the Hornworms like your singing voice...
Maybe try a different tune... ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »
He's baaa-aaak!   :'(
Dang Norma....have you been singing to your plants? It's possible that the Hornworms like your singing voice...
Maybe try a different tune... ;)

Bob,

I had wondered after I saw those wasps if there were any tomato hornworms around.  :-D  I don't have any singing voice.  Only all the birds and cicadas sing in our area this time of the year outside.

Gotta keep my eyes on the tomato plants for more hornworms.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
Bob,

My food mill is just a cheap one I purchased at a flea market.  I will give it a try, but donít know how it will work.  If I recall right, I think I only paid 5.00 for it. 

Norma

My lovely wife Ann and I inherited ours, Norma.  LOL   :)

We ended up with just a little over a quart of sauce out of that bowl of Redortas...   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
Pete,

I know gardening is fun, but sometimes it can get frustrating when things keep going wrong.  :-D  At least you know a lot more about gardening than I do, so I will rely somewhat on you and other members.   :angel:

Thanks for also telling me what happens that make tomato skins split.  I didnít know that before.

I appreciate you telling me how you make your pizza sauce.  It looks yummy!  ;D I have a bunch of tomatoes that I might try to make into sauce today. 

Norma

Anytime, Norma.  Making sauce is pretty easy for me since I've done it so many times already.  I hate letting any food go to waste and if I have to, I'll even process my cherry tomatoes if they don't get eaten in due time.  As far as the splitting tomatoes go, just think of a balloon you try to put too much water into.  LOL  When things do go wrong in the garden, it can get frustrating because sometimes you have to wait until the next year to see if the proposed solutions actually work.   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
Well, I knew I would have bad luck if I posted about tomato hornworms.

They just like you, Norma, and so do we.   :)

I found a Spotted Cucumber Beetle on one of my Brandywines today and since I didn't have the fall cucumbers planted yet for him to eat, I fed him to our resident garden spider who more than appreciated the tasty meal...   >:D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
My lovely wife Ann and I inherited ours, Norma.  LOL   :)

We ended up with just a little over a quart of sauce out of that bowl of Redortas...   ;D

Pete,

It's good you and your lovely wife inherited your tomato mills.  I think it is funny that your front tomato mill is just like another one I found at a flea market.  I will have to post a picture of that one when I made your sauce.  I didn't find time to make the sauce today. 

Your sauce in the jars looks nice!  :)

Norma

pizzapan