Author Topic: Marash, Za'atar and other post bake toppings.  (Read 50 times)

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
Marash, Za'atar and other post bake toppings.
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I was recently checking out a recipe which referred to marash pepper flakes as a "secret ingredient" of sorts, and went on and on about how interestingly fruity and smokey they are. Of course, they are hard to find locally, and I was intrigued enough to bite the bullet and have a large package shipped. They are much softer than red chile flakes, which is what I'm more accustomed to. Unfortunately, I just don't think these have much flavor. It could be I got a bad batch, or maybe my taste buds don't appreciate subtlety, but it doesn't seem to add much even if I really cake it on.
   In a pic below it shows them on the left and some "dehydrated bell pepper" on the right. The bell pepper was pretty bland too, just slightly sour and meh.

I also occasionally use za'atar seasoning. I assume it's kind of like the middle east's version of "italian seasoning" in that it's a mix of things, and quite versatile. It too is a tad bland for my take though, and I don't use it very often.

I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations for post bake toppings. I usually go with the classics: parmesan, oregano, fresh basil, red chile pepper flakes, Louisiana hot sauce... and of course, calabrian peppers. 10 years ago I remember everyone and their mother had shakers of Paul Prudhomme's Pizza Magic seasoning, but it seems to have fallen out of favor "Ms Dash style". I try to stay away from high sodium toppings fwiw.