Author Topic: If you could choose only 4 pizza toppings, what would they be and why?  (Read 385 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
You have a refrigerated bin that holds your base pizza cheese and 4 toppings in Stainless Steel 6th pans. You're making a lot of pizzas, but only have the ability to bring these 4 toppings. The goal is to be as versatile and delicious as you can given the scenario. If you were to boil it all down, what 4 toppings would you put in there and why? This doesn't include any dough, sauces, spices or anything you use a shaker/drizzler to apply.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Italian sausage, Pepperoni, mushrooms, bell pepper

Good individually or combined

Josh

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog

What kind of mushrooms? Green bell peppers?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Nick,

I would say pepperoni, fresh sausage, white button mushrooms (or maybe cremini or portobello if you have to impress), and onion (sweet). Pepperoni is on the list because it is the most popular topping in the U.S., so statistically that makes sense. The addition of the sausage, which also usually shows up high in the list of favorite toppings, satisfies the carnivores when used with pepperoni. If you expect more vegetarians than carnivores, then you could substitute green peppers for the sausage. The four choices should give you 16 different toppings combinations. Using none of these toppings would give you an additional option, a cheese pizza. Extra cheese would increase the total number of pizzas also, as will pizzas with split toppings (e.g., half this and half that).

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Pepperoni, just cause it taste so good, must be Vermont smoked, of course. ^^^ Spicy italian style sausage, cause you gotta have some heat. >:D Scallions (green onions), both for the taste and green color . And.... last but not least,, Baby tomatoes, the small ones, of any variety, again for the taste but most for the color RED! :-[

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
What kind of mushrooms? Green bell peppers?

Just regular white sliced, and green bells. Something that caters to the masses is what I'm thinking.
Josh

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Nick,

I would say pepperoni, fresh sausage, white button mushrooms (or maybe cremini or portobello if you have to impress), and onion (sweet). Pepperoni is on the list because it is the most popular topping in the U.S., so statistically that make sense. The addition of the sausage, which also usually shows up high in the list of favorite toppings, satisfies the carnivores when used with pepperoni. If you expect more vegetarians than carnivores, then you could substitute green peppers for the sausage. The four choices should give you 16 different toppings combinations. Using none of these toppings would give you an additional option, a cheese pizza. Extra cheese would increase the total number of pizzas also, as will pizzas with split toppings (e.g., half this and half that).

Peter

I love your responses, Peter! And this is probably my choice as well. I might make it red onion, and maybe shiitake mushrooms if i'm feelin' fancy.

Pepperoni, just cause it taste so good, must be Vermont smoked, of course. ^^^ Spicy italian style sausage, cause you gotta have some heat. >:D Scallions (green onions), both for the taste and green color . And.... last but not least,, Baby tomatoes, the small ones, of any variety, again for the taste but most for the color RED! :-[

Mark

Curious. Green onions is a good topping I often ignore. An interesting choice for such a limited number of toppings.
I like your thoughts on color. This should not be ignored.

Offline Chaze215

I agree.
Chaz

Offline squadricus

• I Love Pizza!
smoked hot Italian sausage, bacon, roasted red pepper, mushrooms.  I would probably rotate the selections from a larger pool, based on a suggestion grafiti whiteboard

Offline vtsteve

Hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, kalamata olives (quartered lengthwise). Because they're tasty and easy  :-[.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:30:03 AM by vtsteve »

Offline moose13

Re: If you could choose only 4 pizza toppings, what would they be and why?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
Salami, jalapeno, mushroom, onion.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Green olives are a particular favorite for me.  It really enhances the savory aspects of pepperoni and/or sausage.  Kalamata olives are a good substitute flavor-wise, and they might raise fewer eye brows because they're black.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
Vermont smoked pepperoni, cremini mushrooms, spicy Italian fennel sausage, fresh basil if it needs its own spot, else roasted sweet onions
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Gosseni

If you could choose only 4 pizza toppings, what would they be and why?
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:38:44 PM »
Tomato. Garlic. Basil. Buffalo Mozz. The defacto standard. Attempted by many. Perfected by few.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:13:08 PM by Gosseni »