Author Topic: Bob1’s visit to market and all the pizzas he brought Steve and me  (Read 1331 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I am not sure what thread to put this post on, so if it is in the wrong place, would one of the moderators please put it in the right place.  

Bob1 came to market Tuesday and brought Steve and me so many goodies to try.  ;D  It was a pleasure to see Bob again.  The first time, and actually the last time, I got to meet Bob was at Fred’s event with Warren at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10020.0.html

Bob brought us each a whole tomato pie from Joseph Corrorpolese Bakery and Deli.  We tasted slices from the one box.  I never tasted a real “tomato pie” before.  The taste of the “tomato pie” was a lot different than I thought a “tomato pie” would taste like.  I was surprised that the bottom crust wasn’t brown.  It looked like it might have been docked, but I am not sure.  The tomato sauce on that pie was very sweet.  The crumb is very soft too.  I really enjoyed being able to taste a real “tomato pie”.  Tomato Pies are eaten cold.  It was very good.  Bob even brought me some Joseph Corropolese Famous Tomato Pie Sauce to try. In addition, Bob brought a bag of Grande Italian Blend of Cheddar Blend for me to try.  

Bob also brought us slices of pizza from 3 different other pizzerias, other than the “tomato pie.  For the life of me, I can’t remember the names of the pizzerias.  In some of the pictures are the slices.  The one kind of pizza the bottom crust is very crispy. Those slices were good.  Maybe if Bob sees this thread, he can fill in the information I can’t recall.  

Bob also brought  different oreganos, one being the Dante Sicilian stick oregano that is close to Krinos with a little more Marjoram oil.  
Bob also brought me a herb for me to grow in my garden that is a sterile hybrid between oregano and marjoram.  

I would have reheated some of the other slices Bob brought us yesterday, but Steve and I were invited out to dinner from doing the rehearsal dinner pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18444.0.html and I wanted to save room for dinner.  I will reheat some of the slices today and report back on them.  They sure are interesting and different looking pizzas.  

Thanks so much Bob!  ;D  8) It sure was a pleasure talking to you about pizzas on Tuesday and also you being so generous in bringing us all the goodies!  

It is so nice to be able to talk to other members that are so passionate about pizzas.  That is one great thing about this forum in that it does bring members together sometimes to talk to them in person.

I will post more pictures after the reheat of the slices Bob brought me.  I think Steve already reheated some of his slices.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:00:15 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline Bob1

Norma,
It was a real pleasure stopping by to visit with you and Steve.  I really liked your one day lehmann dough,  It had a crisp bottom and was very light, with a lot of flavor.  You have a really good product.   Thank you for swapping some Nasonville cheese, the Bova oregano, and enough Sir Lancelot for my wifes chocolate chip cookies.  Maybe in September I can stop back with some dough balls and we can sample them.  My wife would also like to shop the mart a bit.

The tomato pie is a local favorite.  Conshohocken Bakery makes another version that is very good also.  When it comes to holidays there is usually a line outside of Corropolese for tomato pie.  You will have to sample the sauce and see if you can replicate it.  The next slice with the broken crust is from a local place that probably does not want the publicity.  He is very guarded with his pie and has a unique product, and it is one of my favorites. 

The next slice in the plastic bag is from a place in Plymouth Twp, PA http://www.getfranzones.com/ They have a strong local following with a very sweet sauce.  There crust is very light and unusual.  Personally it is way to sweet for me, but I thought you and Steve would find it interesting.  I never tried to replicate it but it seems sweet enough to have Jelly in the mix.  I am looking forward to Steve's and your opinion.  They also make a Sicilian that has a crust that gets a bit pie like.  Who knows they may even add butter to get both so light.  I will attach some almost whole pie pics.

The last picture of the rectangular pieces in the plastic bag are from Centriole's in Girardville, PA.  I did a review of their place here, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18724.new;topicseen#new  Their sauce is also very sweet and seems to be more honey like.  I changed my opinion on their cheese.  In retrospect I think it may be Grande provalone diced.  Hope you and Steve like it.  Once again this one is also a bit too sweet for my taste.

Thanks again for having me.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,
It was a real pleasure stopping by to visit with you and Steve.  I really liked your one day lehmann dough,  It had a crisp bottom and was very light, with a lot of flavor.  You have a really good product.   Thank you for swapping some Nasonville cheese, the Bova oregano, and enough Sir Lancelot for my wifes chocolate chip cookies.  Maybe in September I can stop back with some dough balls and we can sample them.  My wife would also like to shop the mart a bit.

The tomato pie is a local favorite.  Conshohocken Bakery makes another version that is very good also.  When it comes to holidays there is usually a line outside of Corropolese for tomato pie.  You will have to sample the sauce and see if you can replicate it.  The next slice with the broken crust is from a local place that probably does not want the publicity.  He is very guarded with his pie and has a unique product, and it is one of my favorites. 

The next slice in the plastic bag is from a place in Plymouth Twp, PA http://www.getfranzones.com/ They have a strong local following with a very sweet sauce.  There crust is very light and unusual.  Personally it is way to sweet for me, but I thought you and Steve would find it interesting.  I never tried to replicate it but it seems sweet enough to have Jelly in the mix.  I am looking forward to Steve's and your opinion.  They also make a Sicilian that has a crust that gets a bit pie like.  Who knows they may even add butter to get both so light.  I will attach some almost whole pie pics.

The last picture of the rectangular pieces in the plastic bag are from Centriole's in Girardville, PA.  I did a review of their place here, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18724.new;topicseen#new  Their sauce is also very sweet and seems to be more honey like.  I changed my opinion on their cheese.  In retrospect I think it may be Grande provalone diced.  Hope you and Steve like it.  Once again this one is also a bit too sweet for my taste.

Thanks again for having me.

Bob,

You are welcome back anytime and if you want to try some of your dough balls in my oven I know Steve and I would enjoy trying them.  I think your wife would enjoy shopping around the market if you come again.

Thanks for explaining all the pies in the pictures and also for providing another picture of the almost whole pie from Franzone’s Pizzeria.  I plan on eating some more of the slices you gave me for dinner tonight and will take pictures of them.  I don’t know if I will be able to replicate the sauce from Corropolese Bakery, but might try.

I know you made a comment while you were at market that I think was something different members might wonder about and that was how all the fresh meat vendors, poultry stand holders and all the vendors that sell products they make just bring their products just for one day a week.  I know that has always fascinated me too, because there is a lot of dragging around of all their products around just for one day.   :-D

I am still trying to see what I can do about a one day Lehmann dough pizza and if you come back I might have a little different pizza for you to try.

Thanks again for all of the goodies!  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bob1’s visit to market and all the pizzas he brought Steve and me
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
Bob,

I reheated the two kinds of slices last evening.  Both slices reheated well in the oven.  The Franzone’s slice was really different in that the crust was very light, the tomato sauce was fairly sweet and the mozzarella had a good taste.  I think the crust really didn’t have much of a salt taste and is fairly flat in the rim.  I wonder what kind of flour they use to make their dough.  It seems like it might be a fairly low protein flour.  

The other rectangular slice was also was very different than any ones that I have tasted before.  The crumb on that pie was also easy to eat.  By the appearance of the slice when it is first looked at the sauce really can’t be seen that much.  The sauce seemed rather plain in taste and I couldn‘t detect many spices if any.  I couldn’t tell what kind of cheese was on that slice.

I also reheated a slice of the tomato pie in my microwave just until it was warm.  It did taste just like when you brought it to us at market.  :) The tomato taste really stands out and the crumb was still moist.

Thanks you for letting me experience different pies that I would have never been able to if you wouldn’t have brought the slices for Steve and me to taste.  :)

I am going to plant the sterile hybrid between oregano and marjoram you gave me today before it rains, so it will get a head start in the ground from the rain.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »
I reheated the two kinds of slices last evening.  Both slices reheated well in the oven.  The Franzone’s slice was really different in that the crust was very light, the tomato sauce was fairly sweet and the mozzarella had a good taste.  I think the crust really didn’t have much of a salt taste and is fairly flat in the rim.  I wonder what kind of flour they use to make their dough.  It seems like it might be a fairly low protein flour. 
I have no clue but I thought you would appreciate how unique it was compared to the usual places.

The other rectangular slice was also was very different than any ones that I have tasted before.  The crumb on that pie was also easy to eat.  By the appearance of the slice when it is first looked at the sauce really can’t be seen that much.  The sauce seemed rather plain in taste and I couldn‘t detect many spices if any.  I couldn’t tell what kind of cheese was on that slice.
I am surprised.  I did not try it reheated but when it was fresh it had a lot of taste.  It seemed like honey with clove.  If you ever go up to konoebles you should stop by and try it fresh.  Do you think that the sauce Might have been boiled into the hardened cheese.  Was the reheat stringy?  I think the cheese is diced Grande provalone.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »
Bob,

I did appreciate being able to taste how unique the taste of Franzone’s slices were.  Steve and I were talking today and wonder in either all cheddar or a blend of cheddar and some other cheeses are used in Frazone’s pizzas.  It didn’t taste to either of us that all mozzarella was used, but we could be wrong.

I didn’t taste the honey with clove in the rectangular slice, but then maybe I wasn’t trying to taste enough what might have gone into that slice.  I might try a fresh pie if I get to that area.  I really don’t know if the sauce could have been boiled into the hardened cheese.  The cheese in the reheat wasn’t stringy for me.  I don’t know about Steve.  I didn’t ask him about how his reheat went.  I really couldn’t decide what kind of cheese was used on the rectangular slice, but find it interesting that it might have been Grande provolone. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
Bob,

Thanks so much for giving me the Grande Cheedar Blend.  ;D I used the Grande Cheddar Blend you gave me on a pizza today.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20126.msg197676.html

I really liked the Grande Cheddar Blend.   :P

Norma