Author Topic: I just "blasted" a SLICE review!  (Read 2546 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

I just "blasted" a SLICE review!
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/daily-slice-purple-pig-from-the-rolling-stonebaker-beverly-shores-indiana.html?ref=excerpt_readmore    your thoughts? The picture I sent them was of Craig's Beautiful Pie from a recent pizzamaking.com thread. >:D

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I just "blasted" a SLICE review!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/daily-slice-purple-pig-from-the-rolling-stonebaker-beverly-shores-indiana.html?ref=excerpt_readmore    your thoughts? The picture I sent them was of Craig's Beautiful Pie from a recent pizzamaking.com thread. >:D

Thank you for the great complement!

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Craig, you're welcome. I just had to do it. The writers for SLICE have been reviewing some real crap lately, it's no wonder that nobody even bothers to post comments anymore. I get snarky on occasion, sometimes just to see what reaction I will get. But, at some point you would think they would take the hint and at least try to up their game a little. In the past I have been a critic of their coverage of chains and frozen pizza, I tell the "they can do better". I'm starting to wonder about that! ::)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Seems kind of silly to use a WFO to make a pizza on flatbread!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
Yeah, and they don't even make the flatbread themselves, they buy it from a local baker.

Offline Ev

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »
Man! That got ugly in a hurry.  :-D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:33 PM »
Cool truck ! The oven is capable of making any pizzamaking.com pizza on here and it doesn't have to be Neapolitan (did I say that?) but need to at least be fresh dough the rest is just the artwork on the canvas as Craig has shown! What's is there can be made in a toaster oven ? Can you say Boboli
John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:38:45 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
Looks like I picked up a new fan  :-D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
Cool trucks. According to their website they have two of them. Seems like a nice theme. Supposedly they grow their own tomatoes and herbs. WFO's. Seems like they are doing everything right...then comes the flatbread  ??? I don't get it.

Using a WFO to make toaster-oven pizza is kind of like using Sous-vide to cook a hot dog.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 06:41:24 AM »
Looks like I picked up a new fan  :-D

Scott123

I've always been a fan of yours, us NY style,  guys gotta stick together, after all, we're outnumbered here! ;D

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
When I first viewed the photo my first thought was this whatever was heading for the trash bin, only to read it was the finished product. It looks like slop, like they opened the cheap box and threw stuff in it from several feet away.
Don

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »
Well I've thought about joining so I could post over in 'A hamburger today' just to complain about all the RAW hamburgers they review... But I know it would be a losing battle... ::)

If one of their reviewers got sick and died from e-coli I would be not at all surprised. :-D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:51:42 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
It looks like the owner replied and has mended his ways.  Good for him!.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
Tscar

I think you're confused. That guy "Joe O" isn't the guy with the Studebaker truck operation, he's Joe Orapella, he owns and operates a WFO on wheels out of the Saratoga Springs, NY area. He's a guy I know about and I posted a link to his operation to show how a novelty place could still make a great pie. Reread the thread and you will see the link.

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »
It looks like the owner replied and has mended his ways.  Good for him!.

Nice thread y'all have going on the 'flatbread open sandwich' ;] From the peanut gallery, I'm thinking the 'owner' that mended his ways was not the person that made the flatbread 'pizza'.  

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
Nicely thrown bomb, the arc and explosion were perfect. I love to see a board get riled up, people are actually thinking over there again.

Ron

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »
I see, well his ways are mended and that is the main thing.

cornicione54

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
Dang I gotta say I didn't agree with all the commenters on Slice but the "superior" attitude from this forum also left me kinda  ??? too  :(

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
Jim and Andrea are close personal friends.  They're running a business, not trying to make the pizzamaking.com crowd happy.  I'm pretty sure that they aren't advertising what they make as Neapolitan pizzas either.
I make really good pizza, in the Neapolitan style.  Luckily for me, I don't have to constrain myself to any B.S. VPN "rules" and can apply my knowledge of food and my creativity to every, naturally leavened pizza I make.  Again, I make really good pizza and I know it.
I also live in the best town in Indiana, a little 3x1 mile slice of heaven smack dab in the middle of the dunes Nat'l park.  If you were teletransported to where we live, you would NEVER think you're in Indiana.  Huge, untouched sand dunes, gorgeous, empty beaches, wildlife and plant life that is unique to the area and a strong sense of community. 
Most everyone in town views rolling stone as a real asset and a great option for a quick bite to eat. 
Heck, just Sunday, my wife, baby and I cruised our golfcart down to the pizza truck and ordered a "lovely rita" and "choke and shroom."  They were tasty, hit the spot and was terribly convenient.  I wasn't expecting my pizza or TX Craigs pizza, I was expecting exactly what I got and it was good. 
I don't see the sense in slamming them and then bragging about it on here but if it makes you feel good, I guess you can knock your rocks all you want.
BTW, I also just loaned them my large smoker on a trailer so now they'll be able to smoke 24 shoulders in one go. 
I encourage anyone to see one of their gorgeous Studebaker's (I'm a car guy and recently sold my '60 Lark) to stop and try one of their flatbread pizzas on for size, just don't expect it to be a Neapolitan pizza.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
I have never tried Jim and Andrea's pizza but I'm sure that it's probably pretty good. I wish them nothing but success in their business.

If I were to visit their truck, would I expect Craig's Neapolitan Garage pizza?...Of course not...or not necessarily Neapolitan pizza at all for that matter. What I wouldn't expect though is something that I could make at home with a Boboli crust that I bought at a supermarket.

If I go to an art museum I expect to see original art by famous artists, not nicely displayed paint-by-number paintings.

These Freshetta pizzas that they sell  in stores are actually pretty darn good. Maybe they should just heat them up in their WFO and take a shortcut on everything, instead of just the crust. They would probably still sell pretty good because of the cool theme and the pizza is not bad (but not great, as it could be).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:48:01 PM by Colonel_Klink »

pizzapan