Author Topic: Dream come true  (Read 14519 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dream come true
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
I love that i just started a fight....

To me, all i really said is that you dont need a SF oven to make great pizza and that I dont want to stake my fame/fortune/well being/ability to make a living or reputation of PIEOUS on his oven being the centerpiece.

I may have a hard time explaining myself sometimes...i just feel like, if i were to get an SF oven, I would enclose it in a metal box, hide its shape and would not promote SF in my restaurant...make sense?

Not a fight, just a lively discussion.

You know there are other Neapolitan low dome ovens out their right? Forno Napoletana, two different Acunto oven companies, the people who built Spacca Napoli and Nella's ovens, Agliarulo family(the name I always forget).

When people get his ovens it's not because their promoting him and his company. It's because they know the style they want to accomplish and know they need the right tools to do it. IMHO I think the reason he is getting most of the publishing in articles is because a lot of places aren't doing enough research on ovens and are only looking at what others are doing and just coping them. Some places think the ovens isn't that important and end up getting a cast refractory oven then regret getting is not to soon after. And that happens a lot.

Pupatella, Pizzeria Orso, Il Pizzaiolo and many others are using Forno Napoletana ovens. A bunch of places in NYC are using Acunto ovens like Craigs or the other brother. SF just seems to have a much bigger publicity machine then any of the other places so they get most of the attention.

But what you said about how if you got a Neapolitan oven that you would hide it; I would agree with you because I wouldn't want that to be the main attraction of the pizzeria/restaurant. I'd much rather have those two separated to be honest. The whole "open kitchen" concept was/is never appealing to me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:07:53 AM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline jak123

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »
yes Craig, you are probably right, no one will ever know if its an SF or an Acunto or handmade but the handful of people "in the know."

It's more to say to those on this forum, wishing to take the plunge that i just made, they dont need an SF to live the dream. But they need a good piece of equipment.

Offline jak123

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
Wow...am i tired....I have to admit, I haven't put in an honest days work since probably 18. I mean, i've worked, taxing my brain, talking to people, working the computer, even in the kitchen for 12 hours a day...sometimes more....but nothing as exhilarating as operating a floor stripper for 12 hours removing vinyl tile...I'm bruised, bludgeoned & sore but i cant wait to get back at it tomorrow!

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »
OK, enough beating around the bush - you bought a Forno Bravo? :]

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
Wow...am i tired....I have to admit, I haven't put in an honest days work since probably 18. I mean, i've worked, taxing my brain, talking to people, working the computer, even in the kitchen for 12 hours a day...sometimes more....but nothing as exhilarating as operating a floor stripper for 12 hours removing vinyl tile...I'm bruised, bludgeoned & sore but i cant wait to get back at it tomorrow!
Yea but it will all be worth it in the end.

Offline jak123

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
OK, enough beating around the bush - you bought a Forno Bravo? :]

are those any good?

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
are those any good?

I have one.....Please look elsewhere.  :(
Thanks........Tee

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Lets not forget why people go with either,  an SF or a precast.  Its because they are UL listed.  That is why.  SF was very smart to get this certification early down the path of the American Neapolitan pizza explosion.  If the other authentic companies had done the same it would be a much more even playing field.  Some municipalities care about this certification,  some choose to overlook it.  As far as Craigs acunto goes,  he may not have been presented with the opportunity to purchase that oven,  if a certain town rejected its lack of UL listing.  This has happens over and over again,  and will again.  It happened down the street from me,  and still with my warning the bought a precast,  hell its only the make or break point of the restaurant.  Some say they are making great pizza.  I say its flat out burnt on the bottom,  the owner knows the difference.  All of the ovens BSO mentioned above are worthy,  and better than a precast.  But they are not all options to most places.  -marc

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't think Dripping Springs will be too picky about the UL rating.  He could build a firepit in the middle of the dining room and roast pigs on it and be OK.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
that's a good thing,  get an acunto then,  if i recall they are the most cost effective,  and when used in Texas produce an amazing product.  -marc

Offline jak123

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »
i dont have many choices as the oven needs to be built inside (no doors big enough to bring an already built one in).

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
i dont have many choices as the oven needs to be built inside (no doors big enough to bring an already built one in).

Make a hole or take out a couple windows. Caleb Schiff had to do that when he got his oven delivered. He took down a row of windows and used one of those telescoping fork lifts(someone will know the actual name) to get his oven inside.  Its the forth picture down http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/06/building-a-pizzeria-the-details.html?ref=title There is a short clip some where but I couldn't find it. Maybe Adam from Slice would know where it was.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
telescoping fork lifts(someone will know the actual name)

Boom forklift
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »
Us Yankees call it a lull.  Sophisticated Yankees tend to call it a sky track, which is a brand name.
-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
So is Lull.  Technically they are telehandlers.

Offline jak123

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
Not an option for me as I really don't want to rebuild the outside to get the oven inside....I'll probably regret it, but you know what, if i didnt take on this project, my regrets would be far greater....

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
Personally, I would not spend a lot of money on a WFO.  Buy a good deck oven that can hit 650 and work it until you get where you want to be.   Neapolitan is going to be a hard sell to the cedar choppers.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
But if you insist, I will help you build an oven or just sell you what you need.

Online jeffereynelson

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
You should be posting pics along the way.

Offline jak123

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
Neapolitan is going to be a hard sell to the cedar choppers.

they like burnt bbq, im guessing they will go for charred corniciones....but you'd be surprised how many volvos re intermixed with these pickup trucks out here!

pizzapan