Author Topic: Who needs a WFO in their garage when they can have a pizza vending machine?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2012/06/11/the-good-news-is-that-there-will-soon-be-pizza-vending-machines-in-america/

The video is awesome. @1:45: "Leavening is instantaneous". No more pesky 2-day fermentation. Gotta get one.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Gotta get one.

Bill,

Do you mean a pizza, the vending machine, or the young lady--or maybe one of each 8)?

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Bill,

Do you mean a pizza, the vending machine, or the young lady--or maybe one of each 8)?

Peter

Not sure about the young lady. Maybe there was something wrong with my connection, but her audio was out of sync - I think it was dubbed over. Maybe it wasn't really her voice. Maybe she really sounds like Jerry Lewis. Or the AFLAC guy. No thanks!

Did you notice one of the selling points was that the pizzas are untouched by human hands? For sanitary reasons? Can you imagine how a machine like that over time could accumulate all kinds of microbe-loving gunk unless scrupulously maintained. It's easier to clean a human. Just dip it in boiling water and put it back inside the machine.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
It's easier to clean a human. Just dip it in boiling water and put it back inside the machine.  :-D

An excellent point.  I doubt the FDA is going to go for this idea.  One thing I noticed immediately in the video was the nozzle for the sauce. It just hangs there dripping until the next pie goes on.  After a day or so, that would be pretty foul!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Bill,

I was reading an article recently, at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Features/Quality%20Control%20and%20Safety/2011/2/Babb%20ovens.aspx, that discusses some of the problems that bakers in the U.S. have with respect to the cleanliness of their ovens and complying with federal regulations. It will be interesting to see how far the developers of the pizza vending machines shown in the video get when they try to penetrate the U.S. market.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Peter,

Thank you for that link.

a 120-ft tunnel oven will have upward of 20 full-sized doors where sanitarians can manually power wash caked-on food, grease, allergens or other ingredients off the base or sides of the oven walls

We're gonna need a bigger garage.

Bill

Offline Nebula

It seemed to me that she was putting a coin in the machine before the knife, napkin and oregano packet popped out. I ain't paying extra to be able to cut my pizza. :-\

Offline pizzablogger

Bill, me thinks the girl in the video is speaking Italian maybe and the overdubbed voice is for English speaking audiences?

Either way the voice sync made me feel like I was watching an old Godzilla or Mothra movie where the dubbed in voice stops but the actors mouth just keeps on moving.  :)

Crazy machine too!
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline TXCraig1

Hummm... I think I'll keep my WFO...  ;D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Hummm... I think I'll keep my WFO...  ;D

Why not both? After the machine has topped the pie, it is transferred via conveyor into your WFO. Once the pie is cooked, there is another conveyor track into your mouth.

Offline TXCraig1

Why not both? After the machine has topped the pie, it is transferred via conveyor into your WFO. Once the pie is cooked, there is another conveyor track into your mouth.

I may be lazy, but not that lazy.  :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jeffereynelson

Things must be gross in Italy for the amount they advertise how it is untouched by human hands. Also it advertises that it rises instantly, it looks to me like they made and cooked it on a tortilla.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Things must be gross in Italy for the amount they advertise how it is untouched by human hands.
In my opinion, it is. And I don't gross-out easily.... ;D  I can only speak for the Northern part of Italy....and;surprisingly, Venice, a city where millions of people visit each year can be downright smelly! Southern Germany can get a bit messy too..all depends on where you go.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Put one of these machines in a college dorm. Gold mine!