Author Topic: Newbie attempting Glutenboy's dough  (Read 1112 times)

Offline nicu2001

Newbie attempting Glutenboy's dough
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
Hi all, my first pizza was a week ago and a Greek style that came out pretty well for my first try.  I decided to try Glutenboy's NY style dough next.  Maybe this should be posted in the newbie section so please move if needed.  Anyway, I am on day 4.5 and have some concerns.  Here is my progress:

I am aiming for 5 dough balls to make 12" pizzas:

Flour (100%): 677.47 g  |  23.9 oz | 1.49 lbs  (All Trumps)
Water (61.0563%): 413.64 g  |  14.59 oz | 0.91 lbs (Distilled)
IDY (0.1982%): 1.34 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.45 tsp | 0.15 tbsp (SAF)
Salt (2.5%): 16.94 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.98 tsp | 1.66 tbsp (Diamond Crystal Kosher)
Total (163.7545%): 1109.38 g | 39.13 oz | 2.45 lbs | TF = 0.0692
Single Ball: 221.88 g | 7.83 oz | 0.49 lbs

I used this post of Glutenboys as a guide to make my dough in my Kitchen-Aid non pro mixer:

"I started with about half the flour and all the IDY in the Kitchen-Aid pro-500.  I added all the water and mixed with the spiral dough hook (and a little manual coaxing) until thoroughly combined.  Rest a couple of minutes.  Then I added about half the remaining flour and kept mixing (inspired by Varasano).   At this point it turns from batter to really wet dough and the hook has a chance to really develop the gluten.  A couple of minutes of this on settings 1 (and 2 for a bit) and I could see the webbing forming.  Added the salt and mixed a bit more.  Rested a couple of more minutes and added the remaining flour as I mixed for the final time.  Just a couple of minutes does it.  The dough was smooth and extensible.  A bulk room-temperature rise for a couple of hours.  The rise was good but not out of control.  Then I scaled and pulled the dough balls tight, oiled the containers and the doughs (I use the Gladware round containers) and put them in the fridge for a nice long nap.  No degassing like I used to with the Harvest King.  All trumps doesn't seem to forgive and recover from re-balling.  I was more generous with the olive oil (evoo) than usual because the All-Trumps dough has given me sticking issues."

I have attached four pictures of my progress.  First picture is after I completed the mixing and kneading and before I let it bulk rise.  Second picture is after the bulk rise and the third is balled and oiled and into the fridge.  For the first four days the dough settled but did not seem to do much.  The lids did not pop off (using round and square ziploc containers).  However, I just checked the dough now and all five have "bubbles" in them.  Please see the fourth picture.  Is this normal or should I be concerned?  Any other advice would be excellent.  I was planning on making two of them tonight.

Thanks,
Mike

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Newbie attempting Glutenboy's dough
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
Mike,

I suggest that you touch the areas of the dough around the bubbles. If those areas are firm, then I think you should be able to safely puncture the bubbles if you want to age the dough even longer, and return the container to the refrigerator. Glutenboy's dough is capable of long fermentation windows because the amount of yeast is modest and the dough balls are small. This allows the dough balls to cool down quickly and, so long as the refrigerator is also cold, the dough balls can be held for many days. Glutenboy's dough also uses 2.5% salt. While not overly excessive, that percent of salt might slow down the fermentation activity by virtue of its affect on the yeast.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:34:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
Thanks Peter.  My results last night were pretty good for my first try at a NY pizza and only second try at homemade Pizza in general.

I took lots of pics and will post them here.  I took the dough out 2 hours before baking and let them sit in the covered containers.  I preheated the oven with a 13" round soapstone on the bottom rack.  My oven is described in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19532.msg192810.html#msg192810

I am not sure how hot it actually gets but an IR Thermometer is on the way.

The cheese pizza baked for 8 minutes and was actually burned on the bottom half that was closer to the back of the oven.  I used 1/2cup of Don Pepino sauce, 1/4 cup of parmesan and 1 cup of Grande whole milk mozz.  I thought the pizza was pretty good but my wife said it was dry.  I don't think it needed the parmesan and will not use it next time.

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
The pepperoni baked for 6 minutes and was less dry.  I really need to find smaller size pepperoni slices.

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
I am loving this recipe.  Made my last dough ball which was on day 8 and it was the best of the bunch.  I also just mixed another batch for this weekend and expect it to come out better as I learn.  Also got the IR thermometer and measured the stone at 600 degrees after an hour of preheating.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »

+1 !
I am loving this recipe.  Made my last dough ball which was on day 8

I had one out to about 14 days, just for fun. Great flavor, bad texture. But I liked it.