Author Topic: Back to basics  (Read 2935 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Back to basics
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
100% Caputo Pizzeria
60% Water
2.8% Salt
.04% IDY

Dissolve salt in water. Add flour and then IDY. Mix to incorporate and rest for 20 minutes. Slap and fold for 3-4 minutes, rest 10 minutes and repeat two more times. Bulk for 10 hours at 75 degrees. At that point there will be visible fermentation. Ball at 270 grams and place in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Out of the fridge for at least 2 hours and maximum 6 hours.

John

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: Back to basics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »

John,

Fine looking pie.

Crust looks crispy yet tender

Love the char !  Not too much, just right.

Bob

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Beautiful, John. I am reminded of the line from T.S Eliot:

We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Doesn't it apply perfectly to this kind of pizza making?

Offline JamieC

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
That is a great looking pie!  Love the crumb, didn't think you could get that kind of development with such a quick ferment.  One question: why do you add the salt at the beginning?  I've read a lot recently about salt slowing down the yeast reactions, what's the principle behind putting it in at the beginning?  (I've been doing it that way myself, but I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the alternatives)

parallei

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
Nice John.....

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »
Man that looks great

Are you happy with the result?

Scot

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »
Looks Great! Better margherita than I've seen at MOST Neo Places.
One thing about going back to the basics (of anything).......It always works!
Thanks........Tee

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
John,

Sure looks great!   :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
Thank you Bob, Paul, Tee and Norma!

Doesn't it apply perfectly to this kind of pizza making?

Bill - Being able to coax complex flavors out of simple ingredients, and treating them simply is the essence of this pizza making - I completely agree. This was an exercise in basics and the end result was just as complex tasting as the intricate workflows and natural ferment approaches I screw around with so much. It was refreshing.

Are you happy with the result?

Scot - Yes, the result was very good. I could have used even less yeast as the temps around here were very high, even with an air-conditioned house. At 10 hours bulk, the dough was going pretty fast - I did have 8 balls total so the mass effect played a role here. The cheese was bufala and melted like a dream. This was a 40 second pie.

That is a great looking pie!  Love the crumb, didn't think you could get that kind of development with such a quick ferment.  One question: why do you add the salt at the beginning?  I've read a lot recently about salt slowing down the yeast reactions, what's the principle behind putting it in at the beginning?  (I've been doing it that way myself, but I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind the alternatives)

Jamie - The reason I do it is simply because the salt I use is a sicilian sea salt that is rather course - it is easier to dissolve directly in the water. You can add it at any point, but I would be careful adding it directly next to the yeast in succession.

John

Offline Toumar

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
What a beauty! would you mind elaborating on the cooking method? what kind of oven are you using? at what temperature?
Great job, this looks wonderful.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
john, that looks fantastic!  i can't believe you get such perfect crumb and crust at 40 sec. do you always use the fridge?
bill

Offline Yeasty Boy

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
It's funny...I was talking to my wife a couple days ago and said - "I'm putting my sourdough culture in the 'bread only' category for a while, and going back to standard yeast." I haven't been happy with my crust lately (too flat, too chewy), and I blame a lot of of it on the time constraints of my life, and the time it seems to take for my sourdough starter to match the "puff" I get from yeast. I rush the sourdough-based dough to the oven and screw everything up.

I've also tweaked a lot of other things, so much so that it's tough to pinpoint the root cause of a sub-par pizza night (note - any pizza night is always good eats....but if you are a perfectionist, you're never happy unless it is perfect).

So I'm also going back to the basics. Hopefully this weekend.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
Well in the spirit of keeping it simple I think I'm going to try out Johns formula this weekend as well. 

One problem though... I only have ADY.  What is the conversion from IDY to ADY.  I thought it was about 25% more for ADY. Correct?

Scot

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »
What a beauty! would you mind elaborating on the cooking method? what kind of oven are you using? at what temperature?
Great job, this looks wonderful.

Thank you. The pie was cooked in a wood fired oven at around 850 degrees.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
john, that looks fantastic!  i can't believe you get such perfect crumb and crust at 40 sec. do you always use the fridge?
bill

Thanks Bill. My oven is so small, with a large fire the pies cook very fast. I only used the fridge because I wanted to retard the bake out to 18 hours total, and give me a larger window to bake. I like a minimum of 18 hours on my doughs so the flavor really comes through.

John

Offline moose13

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
Nice!
Makes my pies look like a frozen Totino's.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
It's funny...I was talking to my wife a couple days ago and said - "I'm putting my sourdough culture in the 'bread only' category for a while, and going back to standard yeast." I haven't been happy with my crust lately (too flat, too chewy), and I blame a lot of of it on the time constraints of my life, and the time it seems to take for my sourdough starter to match the "puff" I get from yeast. I rush the sourdough-based dough to the oven and screw everything up.

I've also tweaked a lot of other things, so much so that it's tough to pinpoint the root cause of a sub-par pizza night (note - any pizza night is always good eats....but if you are a perfectionist, you're never happy unless it is perfect).

So I'm also going back to the basics. Hopefully this weekend.

I do know what you are dealing with. The best pizzas I have made with sourdough are ones where the starter was nurtured over the course of two days, being fed every 4-6 hours. The starter will get to a state where it nearly triples in that time. Using that starter in small quantities (2-3% of water) and rising slowly at around 70 degrees over 18 hours gives me the best results. You can also try switching to a different culture.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:58 PM »
Well in the spirit of keeping it simple I think I'm going to try out Johns formula this weekend as well. 

One problem though... I only have ADY.  What is the conversion from IDY to ADY.  I thought it was about 25% more for ADY. Correct?

Scot

Scot - This is the post I always reference for conversions:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11738.msg108534.html#msg108534

Be sure to notice that my room temp was 75 degrees (maybe higher). If yours is different, you will need to adjust up or down. If you don't want to retard in the fridge, you can compensate the yeast down as well.

John

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
Awesome looking pizzas...... congrats.....

Would you mind sharing the ingredients?  Tomatoes type and brand? Mozzarella: fiordilatte, bufala?

Where do you buy your ingredients in the Boston area?

Grazie........
Paolo

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
Awesome looking pizzas...... congrats.....

Would you mind sharing the ingredients?  Tomatoes type and brand? Mozzarella: fiordilatte, bufala?

Where do you buy your ingredients in the Boston area?

Grazie........

Try Accardi Foods in Medford http://accardifoods.com/. You can also try Restaurant Depot in Needham or Chelsea.

pizzapan