Author Topic: bfguilford's Glutenboy progress  (Read 3326 times)

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: bfguilford's Glutenboy progress
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
Excellent, thanks for pointing that out. I had not seen it. I plan to pick up some KABF this week.

Clay

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
I used the same 10-day Glutenboy dough this week, with a couple of differences in the process.

First was that, after the dough had been cold fermenting for 5 days in oblong containers (which made it easier to form the skins for my rectangular piece of kiln shelf), I ordered a 3/4" high-talc soapstone tile from M. Teixeira Soapstone (thanks to tlj000 for finding that source). So I re-balled the dough and put it into round containers. I couldn't get the balls to close properly, and was pretty skeptical about what would happen. The dough turned out with pretty big imperfections on the bottom when I opened it.

When it hit the soapstone at 550 (1 hour pre-heat), it went crazy... puffed up like a puffer fish in places on the rim. 3 minute 50 second bake, all under the broiler. Pretty good balance of top and bottom browning. Other than the uneven puffer fish routine, it was a beautiful, tender crust with a light eggshell crunch and good crumb. This soapstone is a wonderful baking surface, almost like steel plate in results (better in my oven), and a lot lighter than steel plate (which my back thanks it for).

Next time, I will try a 6-1/2 day Glutenboy due to scheduling and see what happens to the browning.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »
Sounds and looks wonderful Barry. :chef:  Congrats on the new toy/tool!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »
Thanks Bob. It' a keeper for sure!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scott123

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 05:59:23 AM »
Looking good, Barry.

It's hard to tell because of the length of fermentation, but the 3/4" inch soapstone tile might pack a tiny bit less punch than the typical 1.25" slab. Not enough to make an appreciable difference, but a tiny bit. Any chance you could go with a non glutenboy formulation one of these days? You know, for the sake of science  ;D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »
Looking good, Barry.

It's hard to tell because of the length of fermentation, but the 3/4" inch soapstone tile might pack a tiny bit less punch than the typical 1.25" slab. Not enough to make an appreciable difference, but a tiny bit. Any chance you could go with a non glutenboy formulation one of these days? You know, for the sake of science  ;D

Thanks, Scott. For you, for the sake of science... a 3-day Lehmann!

Barry

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
Barry,

That is a fantastic looking pizza!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
Thanks, Norma.

pizzapan