Author Topic: Starter flour difference?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline pbspelly

Starter flour difference?
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Does it make a big difference whether I use all-purpose flour, bread flour, or high-gluten flour for the starter? I generally use high-gluten flour for my pizza (All-trumps) but made my Ischia starter with all-purpose.

parallei

Re: Starter flour difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43:08 PM »
Does it make a big difference whether I use all-purpose flour, bread flour, or high-gluten flour for the starter? I generally use high-gluten flour for my pizza (All-trumps) but made my Ischia starter with all-purpose.

I've always fed with the cheapest AP flour I can find and have then proceed to use it (the well activated starter) with many different types of flour in final doughs.  No problems.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:53:49 PM by parallei »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
I don't think it matters what kind of flour you feed your starter per-se, but I would suggest trying to feed it the same flour consistently. This is not to imply that you need to use the same flour to feed your starter as you use to make your dough.

Different flours can have an effect on the yeast - particularly in the fermentation products produced. I suggest consistently feeding the same flour to your culture to make your starter as consistant and predictable as possible.

I feed my Ischia KAAP (just because I always have it around) and make dough with Caputo Pizzeria.  
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Does it make a big difference ...

Of the myriad factors affecting the final pizza, the flour you use for feeding is one of the least important. OTOH, I always feed each culture the same flour every time in case I'm wrong about this.  :)

Offline JamieC

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
A related question: does it matter what flour you use for dusting fermenting dough balls or bench flour for shaping the skins?  I use Caputo 00 for my dough but it's pretty expensive and if it doesn't affect the finished pie I'd just as soon use cheaper bench flour.  (I'm also consistently using KAAP to feed my Ischia starter)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
A related question: does it matter what flour you use for dusting fermenting dough balls or bench flour for shaping the skins?  I use Caputo 00 for my dough but it's pretty expensive and if it doesn't affect the finished pie I'd just as soon use cheaper bench flour.  (I'm also consistently using KAAP to feed my Ischia starter)

No - not in the slightest. I use KAAP - again, just because it's what I always have around.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dvto2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »
I have a much easier time keeping my starter going with rye flour than wheat.  Lately, I have been adding at least a little bit of rye flour to my wheat starters, maybe 10%, and then 5% rye to the final product as well.   

Offline dvto2

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
I would add that to capture wild yeast, I think its easiest to start with a rye starter and then switch it over to wheat.  Just keep feeding it every 12 hours (e.g. dump 80% and add 40 grams of rye and 40 grams of water) until you have a good culture.  It shouldn't take more than 5 days or so.   

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »
Ideally, I like to "train" my starter by feeding it the (primary) flour it will be used with. It may not make a diff, but it seems like the sensible thing to do. If I can't do that, I'll use whatever flour is on hand. If I want to get a starter active after a long period of dormancy, I'll use organic whole grain spelt or rye to jump-start it.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
I picked up some advice from someone here or on another site:

When I'm starting a starter or trying to bring life back to an old one I feed it with Rye flour and Pineapple juice.  Then I slowly ween it back to white flour and water.

pizzapan