Author Topic: I ordered a WFO  (Read 47362 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: I ordered a WFO
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I had to cut wedges for the corners, right in the center a 1" wedge shaped area will be filled with refractory concrete, but basically the height worked out right for the course by sheer dumb luck.  I started laying out the throat and smoke chamber just now.  I have some handmade Mexican adobes, kind a of sandy pink to buff range and some white brick, would you prefer either of those to firebrick for the exterior arch?  If you are feeling brave, just say, "Do what you want".

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
Be brave!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
If you are feeling brave, just say, "Do what you want".

Do what you want.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
3 bricks to go in the dome, I also cut the perlcrete base round.  I will wrap lath around the base extending vertically for about 20", then dome it over.  The sides will be loose-filled to where the dome begins, then 10 to 1 perlcrete.

parallei

« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Your oven build is turning out great Tom.   Jet Deck is a lucky guy!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »
Your oven build is turning out great Tom.   Jet Deck is a lucky guy!

This will be better than winning any lottery.  I promise.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Sorry to be taking so long, Gene, but I am old and broken down.  The rest should go relatively quickly, I wasted most of today waiting for the mortar on the last few brick to dry so I can clean it up.  I laid out and cut the brick for the entry, but I can't stick them until the interior is cleaned up.  The interior of the dome is rougher than I would like, but nothing that will affect performance.

I will be in Port A next weekend for a fishing trip, so add another week's delay to you cooking some pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
I will be in Port A next weekend for a fishing trip, so add another week's delay to you cooking some pizza.

As I understand, Rome wasn't built in just a day.  Probably wasn't built in just weeks or months either.  Catch some fish for the party.  I know they will fit in the oven.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
99% done on the inside of the dome, I just did the final tuckpointing and have one more cleaning and I will call it good. Kind of rough like I said, but it will work just fine.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
the inside looks GREAT!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
It is as beautiful as the Sistine Chapel Ceiling.  Nice work.  I love it, thanks.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
Maybe the sub-sub-basement under the Sistine chapel.  It is time for the entry and decorative work, send me a pic of where it is going so you do not end up with the Eye of Zeus as a theme.

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Way cool Tom, easy to see why Gene is pleased.

BTW, everyday my boss asks "How's that guy's oven coming?" 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:25:01 PM by ThatsAmore »
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
If that's a bit rough I'd hate to see how great a perfect dome would look like coming from your skills. That is truly awesome, wish I had the ability to build ovens or anything from brick. Or even a family member that could. LOL.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »
I have a couple of comments, but I need to ask first; is it safe to criticize just a little? :angel:

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
Absolutely, all you want.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
Looks amazing Tom.  Really nice work.
bill

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Ok, thanks Tom.
 First, let me say that I'm no expert. I've only built one oven and the things I'm pointing out probably will have no adverse affect on Genes oven, but a few things jump out at me.
 First thing I noticed was the large triangular mortar joints in the upper portion of the dome. When I built my oven, I tapered my bricks, not only front to back, but top to bottom as well, in an attempt to minimize the mortar joints, especially near the top where the joints naturally start to get bigger. It was a lot more work and a few more brick, but in the end I got nice tight joints all the way up.
 The other thing is, I see long vertical mortar joints spanning like five courses. Isn't this more susceptible to cracking? Again, when I built mine, I added small bricks along the way to break up the long vertical seams.
 One other thing. I'd have liked to have seen the dome tied in a little better to the inner arch. The course along the arch looks like it's just teetering across the edge of the arch bricks.
 Then there's the arch itself. There doesn't look like there's much "arch" in it. I have to question it's strength and durability over continual heating and cooling cycles. If I were going to build this soft of a radius, I'd consider using angle iron instead.
 Otherwise, everything looks great. I love the design. I wish I had even heard of a low-dome Neapolitan oven before I built my Pompeii.
 Like I said, I'm no expert, but I couldn't just offer up a "feel good" compliment here when a few things made me cringe a little.
I hope you don't hate me now.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
Just to illustrate my points about the vertical and the wide joints, here are pictures of yours and mine. If anyone is interested and needs direction, my build thread is here:http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11155.0.html

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
Good and valid points, let me answer them.

I have seen the beautiful ovens built with tapered bricks and tight joints and there is no question that that is the optimal way to go.  However, I have also seen the ones built by the Italian masters and they do not taper the bricks other than a small amount at the top, as I did.  The large triangles of mortar are within the design capacities for the mortar so they should not be a problem (on the center plug, I added a larger aggregate to address the larger size of the plug).

On the long vertical lines that is definitely not good, but I don't think I have any that go beyond 2 courses do I (I didn't want any, but I did see a couple after the fact)?

The outside of the course above the arch is held up by a wedge and render of refractory cement, the bottom inner wedge is filled with refractory concrete.  Even if both of those fail, unless the arch also fails, there is nowhere for them to go.  The arch is 2-1/2" in eighteen so it is very flat.  It is also wedged in between tensioned concrete shoulders, so it can't go anywhere.

All very good points and ones I am aware of and dealt with for what I think will be an efficient and long lasting oven.