Author Topic: St. Louis style  (Read 2078 times)

Offline smellthatsmoke

• I Love Pizza!
St. Louis style
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »
 From what i can tell,  it's been about 2 years since a discussion on St. Louis style pizza has happened on this forum.
 I grew up in the St. Louis area and while living there I hardly ever ate pizzas from the biggest chain of this style Imo's.
 I now live in Texas and have been down here for 5 years. For some inexplicable reason i find myself craving an Imo's pizza. They are overpriced and really not filling at all.
 If i remember correctly 1 person could finish off a medium by themselves with no problem.
 It's the cheese i'm craving. I did eat at one particular Imo's every 2 weeks or so while i lived there, but i didn't order pizza, I ordered a hot roast beef with cheese. This was a really good example of a perfect way to use provel cheese. Toasted french type bread, juicy beef, provel cheese ran through the pizza oven and served with au jus on the side. Best sandwich i've ever had.
 I'm planning a trip home soon and i wonder what i will think about st. Louis style pizza after eating some very good new york style pizzas down here for 5 years. I'll let you know if it's changed at all.
 One final note, although i didn't eat pizza at imo's, i did frequent a place called racanelli's a fine example of New York style pizza in St. Louie.

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Re: St. Louis style
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I'm EXTREMELY late to the party here, but as a born and raised St. Louisan, I eat quite a bit of my fair share of Imos.  I can't help it.  I love the stuff.  There are plenty of 'better' pizza places in town, but sometimes I just have to have some Imos. 

Interestingly enough, you can find a fairly accurate Imo's pizza dough recipe on King Arthur's website.  You can also buy the Imo's cheese and pizza sauce in just about any grocery store here in the St. Louis area.  Just in case you ever want to try that crappy midwest pizza taste yourself.   ::)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/st-louis-style-pizza-recipe

Also, if you enjoyed Racanelli's, try La Pizza over on Delmar.  2 old retirees from Queens making the some of the best NY slices you can get in the Lou.  They've been around for about 10 years now and never fail to impress.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: St. Louis style
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
Well, I was tired of holiday leftovers. So, I thought I would give Imo's a spin. The dough was dry just like a cracker crust, and a little more difficult to roll out. The thickness of the skin was about the thickness of a credit card and it was a 14" pie. This was a pizza on the fly. I used Red Gold sauce that I doctored up. I did not have any provolone cheese. I used a mixture of Parmigiano Reggiano and Mozz. The sausage was Garvey's recipe. I cooked at 425 on the stone for 11 minutes. It was a tasty pie. The crust was crispy with a very easy and soft bite. This was more of a exercise to see what the crust was like. For a pie that takes about an hour, this is about a good as it gets. Next time I will use the correct cheese mix and sauce mix to get the real flavor of an Imo's pie.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:22:55 PM by nick57 »

pizzapan