Author Topic: The Italian starters are here!  (Read 22084 times)

Offline yongjoo

• Pizz-A-Mind
Re: The Italian starters are here!
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »
Yesterday was the first time I felt 100% that the yeasts have been activated. I'm feeding it till tomorrow night like you said. It does now smell like bread. I can't wait to start using it.

Thanks for the tip.

Offline yongjoo

• Pizz-A-Mind
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
It's been awhile since I posted but I reached the second level in this yeast adventure. I've read about how once these yeasts are activated, it takes several weeks for it to "learn". I guess to be better yeasts. Anyway, my Calmadoli was activated around February 10th and this past weekend (March 17th) I have to say it improved greatly! It was almost a huge jump.

Anyway, I just wanted to say the first few weeks, besides having some great tasting bread and pizzas, the rise was a huge disappointment. I came close to adding some commercial yeast to my dough. But after this weekend, I have some amazing looking pizza.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions...

Offline Ebony

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:13 PM »
Can someone please direct me to Ed's book(name) so I can order it?  I haven't had time to read much of the threads.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2007, 07:44:54 PM »
Can someone please direct me to Ed's book(name) so I can order it?  I haven't had time to read much of the threads.

"Classic Sourdough's"  http://www.sourdo.com/index.htm ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline mister_c

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »

I'm currently in the process of trying to activate the Ischia culture and have been closely following Ed Woods instruction booklet.  After the initial 24 hour period, the culture smelt gorgeous, but 5-6 hours later, a layer of hooch formed underneath approx 2-3cm of foam and bubbles. The smell isn't yet unpleasant, but doesn't seem as good as before.  Perhaps it now just smells a lot more acidic.

I'll stick to the feeding schedule for now, but in the event that it begins to smell bad, I wondered if somebody could confirm the washing procedure to me. Ed's booklet states the following:

"After mixing, dump all except 1 cup and fill with warm water. Then stir vigorously, and again dump all except 1 cup.  Feed with 140gm flour and 180 ml of water, stir vigorously, then proof at 29-32C for 6-12 hours....Repeat the entire process several times until the culture becomes active 2-4 hours after the last feeding"

So every 6-12 hours I dump all except 1 cup, fill the rest of the quart sized jar with water, dump and feed etc?  Filling the whole jar seems like quite a lot of water and would heavily dilute what is left of the original culture - is this definitely correct?  Also, am I right in thinking that this would probably need repeating 2-3 times, and thereafter I would feed as normal until activated?

Many thanks to Marco btw for sharing these Italian cultures with us  :)