Author Topic: My first post---My first "White" Pizza  (Read 1866 times)

Offline chefjeff

• "So many Pizzas---so little time"
My first post---My first "White" Pizza
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:37:12 AM »
Greetings all, from Jeffy's Trattoria! The following recipe and picture are from my first attempt at preparing "White" pizza. A garlic infused white sauce is substitued for a tomato based sauce---and this particular pizza crust is fortified with Reggiano Parmesan---yummm. I found the recipe at the T.V. Food Network, and it is one of Emeril's. It was a wonderful pizza, and it will be made again, and again in our home. If anyone is interested in giving it a go, you should probably visit the original recipe at the T.V.Food Network to compare my tweakings, and to decide whether or not to do the same. Emeril's recipe calls for a 15 inch diameter pizza, and my stone could never hold that size. Below are my estimates for using 2/3 of the recipe to form a fairly standard sized pie. I wasn't comfortable preparing 2/3 of the sauce or dough, so I made the full amounts, and then just used 2/3 of it---yes I wasted a little! As for the cheese amount, the 2/3 of the full recipe has been figured in, as the full recipe calls for 12 oz. Emeril uses roasted heads of garlic and then he squeezes the whole cloves out for the topping. I tried this, and the garlic squeezed out as a puree---hence my decision to use a garlic confit I've been making for years. It is very easy to prepare, and the cloves remain in tact. The way I prepare my pizza doughs is ridiculously easy, and has worked out every time. In a food processor, I place all of the dry ingredients, including the yeast. Pulse to combine, and then turn it on to continually process. Slowly drizzle in the liquid ingredients, until the dough forms a ball. Let the ball of dough process for 2 minutes. This step heats the ball of dough enough to activate the yeast. Then I put the dough ball into a covered tupper type of container, and stick it in the fridge. You'd be surprised to see the dough rise completely in the fridge, but it does work! The dough can stay in the fridge for a day or two, if you like---perhaps longer, but I've never tried. Some folks say that a rise in the fridge lets flavor develop more fully, and also with textural improvements of the finished pizza. Who knows? It's just easier than easy. The only tricky part of this technique is making sure that when the dough ball forms, that it is the right consistency to maintain the ball shape for the 2 minute processing. You may need to add a touch of flour during the processing, or perhaps if the ball is too firm, you may need a dribble of water. When time for me to prepare my pizza, I take the dough out of the fridge, and form my crust. Over the years I've found it unecessary to let the dough come to room temp, before forming it.

I know this is a long winded post, but I just wanted to tell it like it is! It's actualy a quick recipe to make.

Enjoy.

P.S.
I am also including a series of pics regarding the unbelievable pizza stone assembly in my range.  In the bottom of my oven at the back is a ceramic "plug".  It is pulled out, and from the pictures, you will see the easy steps to turn my oven into a blisteringly hot "Pizza oven". When assembled you are able to use the "Pizza stone" setting on the control panel.  The two convection fans do their thing, along with the stone heating up.

WHITE PIZZA
(12 ¾ inch)

PARMESAN PIZZA DOUGH:
1 cup warm water
1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey (7g.)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (28g.)
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12.4 oz.)
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (2 oz.)
Pinch salt

Use processor technique to make dough, and let rise in fridge. For pizza, use 1 pound of the dough, discarding the rest.

SAUCE:
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat milk in microwave, just below a simmer, and set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. When foam subsides, add flour and stir until smooth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Do not allow flour to color. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking to combine. Add the salt and cayenne and increase the heat to medium. Cook the mixture, whisking continuously, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened. Remove from heat and add 1.5 oz. of the confit garlic cloves. Use immersion blender to puree the confit garlic into the sauce until smooth, and reserve.

For pizza, weigh 6.75 oz. of the sauce, discarding the rest.

CONFIT GARLIC:
Cover 6 ½ oz. peeled garlic cloves with olive oil, and let cook at very low heat, until the garlic begins to barely color. With slotted spoon, remove the confit garlic cloves to a dish, discarding the oil. Reserve 4 oz. cloves for pizza assembly, and save 1 1/2 oz for sauce.

CHEESE:

5.35 oz. shredded whole milk mozzarella
2.65 oz. shredded fontina

HERBS:
Chopped fresh basil leaves
Chopped fresh parsley leaves

Place a pizza stone in oven and preheat to 500 degrees. Spread the cooled sauce over pizza dough, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Place mozzarella on top of the sauce. Sprinkle the reserved confit garlic cloves over the cheese and top with the grated fontina. Bake the pizza for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly and golden brown in spots. Remove from the oven and sprinkle chopped herbs over the top.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: My first post---My first "White" Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »
Nice post.Congrats.What make of Oven is that?What is the maximum temperature  using the "Pizza Stone " setting ?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline chefjeff

• "So many Pizzas---so little time"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »
Hi David,

Our range is a Wolf 36" dual fuel monster!  Four gas burners on top, with an infrared gas chargrill in between.
The oven cavity is electric, with the heating element  beneath the oven floor.  In my photos, you can see the extra dedicated pizza stone heating element, which is plugged into the oven, just for the pizza stone set up.
When you set the dial to "Stone", the temperature begins at 400 degrees.  You can then up the temperature  to  550, if desired.  I've found 500 to be the perfect temp for my pizzas.  As you can see from the picture, the edges get blistery,  dark and crispy air pockets.  The undersides of the pizza get wonderful slightly blackened striations too.

Take care,
Jeff

Offline MrA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
I made a similar garlic sauce. The butter and flour makes a roux, basically. I always read you wanted to add cold liquid to a hot roux, hot to cold roux. My experiment went like this:
1/2 cup EVOO
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
 This was the garlic sauce recipe I had found. That's it. Sweat the garlic in the oil, add the spices, done.
It didn't seem right. I later learned about oil sauces, which this probably is, but it just said it was"garlic sauce".
 I added 1/4 cup all purpose flour,slowly, and whisked in. Cook off the flour taste, add slowly and whisk in 2 cups cold milk and a pinch of cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. The result was a creamy, olive oil colored sauce. It would probably be lighter in color if reduce the EVOO and flour in equal amounts. I had thought I had done this when I added 4 tbsp flour, but I miscalculated my tbsp to cups ratio.

Offline mvd

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
Jeff,

Nice looking results. On behalf of many here, I thank you for your incredibly detailed post.

By the way, I am jealous of your oven. Especially the gas range part.
Mike

pizzapan