Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe  (Read 25877 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: San Marzano Tomatoes Pizza Sauce Recipe
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
San Marzano is also a variety of tomato, so while it's potentially confusing, it's not necessarily misleading to label San Marzaro tomatoes as San Marzano even if they are not DOP.
It may not be against the law.....but c'mon, they are being VERY misleading. Most home cooks don't understand the importance of the letters DOP such as you do Craig. Of course, as in all cases, let the buyer beware....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
It may not be against the law.....but c'mon, they are being VERY misleading. Most home cooks don't understand the importance of the letters DOP such as you do Craig. Of course, as in all cases, let the buyer beware....

Most home cooks - and by most, I mean the VAST VAST MAJORITY - have never even heard of a SM tomato, so how can they be misled? Of the few who have, what is their excuse for not educating themselves?

You say most don't understand the importance; when it gets down to the nut-cutting, what is the importance of the letters DOP? I've had dozens of cans of DOP SM's that were vastly inferior to other non-DOP tomatoes? Who is misleading who anyway? One might argue that putting DOP on a can (legitimately) and marketing it as as an indicator of superior quality (to help sales...) is what is really misleading here.

Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
I was going to add "certified" too. But never the less, even without any "labeling"...they put pictures and stuff like that on their cans to help lead the unaware into buying a product that has the appearance of being the real deal expensive tomato product that they hear all the big time chefs saying they should seek out.
They don't have an excuse for not being educated cause they are stupid idiots that follow stupid tv shows.I am the new stupid idiots advocate! (Hope I spelled that right!)  :-D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
If someone in the food industry can't figure out the difference between DOP and non-DOP SM's, tomato confusion is likely the least of their problems.

This isn't about the food industry. It's about products that are available in consumer-size quantities at retail prices; products that are marketed to people who have no idea that the label on the can might not accurately describe what's in the can.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »
This isn't about the food industry. It's about products that are available in consumer-size quantities at retail prices; products that are marketed to people who have no idea that the label on the can might not accurately describe what's in the can.

I was simply responding to toyman who wrote: "If it didn't help sales, it wouldn't be done.  San Marzano's are known tomatoes, especially in the food industry."  

Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:23 PM »
Craig,
Do you have a connect for some good pizza tomato's? I think I've found a way to ship 'em.Thanks...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
I was going to add "certified" too. But never the less, even without any "labeling"...they put pictures and stuff like that on their cans to help lead the unaware into buying a product that has the appearance of being the real deal expensive tomato product that they hear all the big time chefs saying they should seek out.
They don't have an excuse for not being educated cause they are stupid idiots that follow stupid tv shows.I am the new stupid idiots advocate! (Hope I spelled that right!)  :-D

Now you don't even want them to put pictures of plum tomatoes on their cans? Seriously?

I can count on one hand how many "big time" chefs I've heard mention SM tomatoes in my lifetime. This is a "problem" that affects almost nobody, and to listen to you guys one would think it is going to bring down our whole economy. Where does this hatred come from?

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why it's not misleading to put DOP on a can of tomatoes that is inferior to less expensive non-DOP tomatoes???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
Craig,
Do you have a connect for some good pizza tomato's? I think I've found a way to ship 'em.Thanks...

You can't find the Centos I use in NC? Just about everyone around here carries them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why it's not misleading to put DOP on a can of tomatoes that is inferior to less expensive non-DOP tomatoes???

You're waiting for someone to explain why it's not misleading to label DOP tomatoes as DOP tomatoes?

Seriously?!?

How's this for an explanation? Because the fact that TXCraig1 prefers non-DOP tomatoes to DOP tomatoes does not dictate that DOP tomatoes should be labeled as something they're not. Same reason it's not misleading to label faucets as faucets, rather than labeling faucets as toilets.

If TXCraig1 prefers non-DOP tomatoes to DOP tomatoes, then TXCraig1 wins, because TXCraig1 gets to buy what he considers superior tomatoes for considerably less money than what he considers inferior tomatoes.

Some things are just labeled what they actually are, regardless of what TXCraig1 thinks they should or should not be labeled.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
If TXCraig1 prefers non-DOP tomatoes to DOP tomatoes, then TXCraig1 wins, because TXCraig1 gets to buy what he considers superior tomatoes for considerably less money than what he considers inferior tomatoes.

And don't you forget it!  :-D

Perhaps my sarcasm is too subtle for you?

In all seriousness, IMO, putting DOP on an inferior can of tomatoes and using DOP label to market a perception of superior quality is FAR more misleading than simply calling non-DOP San Marzano tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes.

I never suggested that they should be labeled as something they are not as you claim. DOP-qualifying tomatoes do not have to be labeled DOP - that is a choice made by the manufacturer, and I bet there are plenty who will gladly label their tomatoes DOP, even if they know they are sub-par, because they can get 2X as much for them.

So, you tell me what is worse: paying $2.89 for a can of good San Marzano tomatoes you mistakenly took for DOP because of an attractive label or paying $4.49 for a bad can of real DOP SM's?
Pizza is not bread.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
What are they supposed to call them, "San Marzanos but not the ones you think they are"?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
Perhaps my sarcasm is too subtle for you?

Apparently your sarcasm is too subtle for me. Either that or you're just not very good at expressing sarcasm.

Although I used to use DOP San Marzanos exclusively, I can't tell you the last time I bought DOP San Marzanos. Still, I can say I've had much better experiences with DOP San Marzanos than I have with plain old Italian tomatoes or mislabeled "San Marzano" tomatoes, possibly excluding La Valle "San Marzanos" (in the yellow-orange cans).

(Are Nina labeled "San Marzano"? Regardless of what their labels say, Nina tomatoes suck.)

I rarely pay either $2.89 or $4.49 for a 28-35 oz can of tomatoes anymore. Even though I've had good experiences with Cento DOP tomatoes (which apparently haven't even been available for a long time), I've become a big fan of Stanislaus Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro, which costs me $5.99 for a 6 lb-6 oz can. These tomatoes are perfect for deep dish straight out of the can, and they work great for NY style, too, with a little processing. If you have never had a chance to use them for your pizzas, I'm guessing you'd probably love them.

But since you asked, I think paying $2.89 for a deceptively mislabeled can of "good" tomatoes is equally as bad as paying $4.49 for "bad" tomatoes. Just don't try to deceive me, regardless of which can you're trying to sell me. Because if you do, it's not gonna pay off for you in the end.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
What are they supposed to call them, "San Marzanos but not the ones you think they are"?

As far as I'm concerned, they should call them whatever they actually are, regardless of what they are. Why is that so hard for some people to understand or comprehend?

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
They are San Marzano tomatoes.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, they should call them whatever they actually are, regardless of what they are. Why is that so hard for some people to understand or comprehend?

Isn't that exactly what you're complaining about? Calling a SM a SM.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
Keep misleading people, Craig. It does them a lot of good.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
Keep misleading people, Craig. It does them a lot of good.

What specifically have I done to mislead anyone? Do I really seem like the type of person who likes to mislead people?

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
But since you asked, I think paying $2.89 for a deceptively mislabeled can of "good" tomatoes is equally as bad as paying $4.49 for "bad" tomatoes. Just don't try to deceive me, regardless of which can you're trying to sell me. Because if you do, it's not gonna pay off for you in the end.

I didn't say anything about "deceptively mislabeled." Changing the question because you can't bring yourself to answer it as posed is deceptive...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline toyman

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Most home cooks - and by most, I mean the VAST VAST MAJORITY - have never even heard of a SM tomato, so how can they be misled? Of the few who have, what is their excuse for not educating themselves?

You say most don't understand the importance; when it gets down to the nut-cutting, what is the importance of the letters DOP? I've had dozens of cans of DOP SM's that were vastly inferior to other non-DOP tomatoes? Who is misleading who anyway? One might argue that putting DOP on a can (legitimately) and marketing it as as an indicator of superior quality (to help sales...) is what is really misleading here.

You answered your own question, if they never heard of them but expected to get them upon purchase, the purchaser has been misled.  Facts are facts (correct on your comment, but not the premise). We are having a difference of opinion, that's a fact.  But you commenting that your OPINION is fact is wrong.  The DOP label doesn't guarantee quality or your perception of which tomato tastes better only that it meets the Standards to have a DOP label applied.  Professional or consumer knowledge of the product is immaterial.  None of us had any inherent knowledge, we've learned it all.  I'm not one be ignorant to what I've learned.  I think the great benefit to this thread is that others that you've spoke of that have never heard of San marzanos can read this and gain the knowledge of them, whether they are real San marzanos from Italy with DOP label or any old can that prints San Marzano on them.   :-D       

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:08 PM »
If they are labeled, "San Marzano Tomatoes" and that is what that is, how are they misleading?  If I buy a Fiji apple am I being mislead because it wasn't grown in Fiji?

To be clear in case you guys missed it:  San Marzano is a cultivar of tomato, it can be grown anywhere, I have grown them here.

pizzapan