Author Topic: Napoli Pizza Pies (My Blackstone Escapade)  (Read 456 times)

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
Napoli Pizza Pies (My Blackstone Escapade)
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:09 AM »
This is where my neapolitan journey begins..... On my new Blackstone that I picked up today. I met up with TXCraig and was fortunate enough to be able to take it off his hands and now call it mine ;)

Made a batch of dough this past Saturday so I would be able to have something to bake tonight, and wow I was completely blown away by how well they came out. I bulk fermented for 75hrs and balled them for 23hrs at 35*F. Then let them proof for 2.5hrs before bake.

The crumb was absolutely perfect for me, and honestly i'm not sure where to progress from here. I don't know what to focus on improving. It could certainly have used some more char on the bottom, but the crumb was very tender, airy, and had the ever slightest crunch.

• 1st pie: Basic margherita, this was my guinea pig one in case anything went wrong
  • 2cd pie: Mozzarella di bufala, homemade sauce, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. It was supposed to be a white pie but I got side tracked and accidentally added sauce :(
  • 3rd pie: White pie: Mozzarella di bufala, ricotta cheese, red pepper, EVOO, and fresh basil

I made a spreadsheet in order to document all of my pizzas which can be viewed and found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JBlw3gk-aMD23iaYMwGEunf-68RPp-pdh9tQiSv0l50/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:30:24 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline dylandylan

Re: Napoli Pizza Pies (My Blackstone Escapade)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »
Nice pies!  Good to see Craig's BlackStone live on, looks like it'll have a fine future.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:05:58 AM »
Nice work. The crumb looks great on that margherita. Glad to see the oven is in good hands  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 06:15:23 AM »
awesome
Deb

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:32:37 AM »
Nice work. The crumb looks great on that margherita. Glad to see the oven is in good hands  ;D

I agree. What work flow did you use?  Also did you time the bake?

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
Thanks everyone! My workflow looked like this:

I turned the dough containers over onto the lightly floured cutting board until the dough just fell out. I then created the cornicione with my finger tips and was careful not to touch it. I flipped it and did the same on the other side, and did this about twice on each side. I then moved into the "Neapolitan slap" where I draped it over my right hand, quarter turned it, and then flipped it down where I stretched it with my left (probably wasnt 100% correct). I then draped it back over my right hand, quarter turn, repeat. After that I got it open to a pretty decent size, and then used both hands to stretch it (think wax on-wax off). My hands made a windshield wiper motion at the top of the crust. Lastly I stretched it using my knuckles (mostly just using gravity) until I got the desired size and draped it onto the peel.

Once it was on the peel it got sauced, topped, photographed and launched into the oven :) bake times were 115 seconds on average. I had two 105ish seconds, and one 130 seconds. Launch temp I tried to keep near 700*F, which was fairly constant for all 3 of them. I think next time I might go a little higher because my undercarriage could have used some more char

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
Pies look great! Thanks for the spreadsheets. Did you use 00 flour on 7/1 bake?
Hans

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

Pies look great! Thanks for the spreadsheets. Did you use 00 flour on 7/1 bake?

Nope, I used KABF, but in the future I plan to move to KAAP simply just to see the difference. However I'm scared lowering the protein content of the flour will give a more denser crust compared to the pies I baked above (07/01) and anything more dense I might not enjoy. I guess we will see though. Pizza is all about experimentation and it doesn't hurt to try. I'll see if I can find a 2.5lb bag somewhere local.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:41:20 PM »
I meant who's formula did you use? Craig's?  By work flow, I mean dough method.  Such as type of flour, how much water, yeast, how the dough was mixed,  stretch and folds, length of fermentation, etc.

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
Oh whoops, sorry lol. I didn't really use anyone's written formula, I just went off off of what I've read about proper ingredient ratios. For example, I knew that KABF had an absorption rate of 62% (plus/minus) 2%, so I used that as my target. Well I also read that Craig used 62.5%, and I know Craig has some good reasoning behind that so I bumped it up .5%.

The yeast percentage was based off of Craig's yeast table. I knew I wanted at least a 3day ferment, and was only able to make it on the 4th day, so that led me to a .153% yeast percentage.

Dough formula:
100% KABF
62.5% water
3% salt
.153% IDY

Dough procedure: Pre scaled all ingredients. Put the water into the mixing bowl, then in a separate bowl combined flour and salt and mixed thoroughly. Sifted flour mixture into the water, then sprinkled the yeast on top of the flour. Mixed thoroughly with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes. Lost 8g during this procedure. Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and kneaded for about 3 minutes. Did a 5 minute rest, then 3 stretch and folds and kneaded for about 30 seconds. 5 minute rest. Did 1 stretch and fold, and balled it up a little, then placed into lightly oiled container. Final ball temp: 80.5 F. Ball at the very end was 6g off of the predicted weight (but that was with a 1% residue compensation, so it worked well).

Ferment time:
75hrs in bulk at 35*F
23hrs balled at 35*F
2.5hr proof at RT (75-83*F)

Once I get through my bag of KABF, I plan to experiment w/ KAAP, and I also want to formulate a good recipe for a shorter ferment time (anywhere from emergency to 24hrs, not sure yet).

Once I really start mastering these things I want to move into creating my own culture and make dough with a preferment.

Edit: I should note that this batch was for 3 dough balls each weighing 282g on the dot. I might try for a 285-300g dough ball next time just to see the difference. All pizzas made were ~12" in diameter. So a TF ~.08820
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:33:07 AM by Napolizza »

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 12:51:47 AM »
This is where my neapolitan journey begins..... On my new Blackstone that I picked up today. I met up with TXCraig and was fortunate enough to be able to take it off his hands and now call it mine ;)

Made a batch of dough this past Saturday so I would be able to have something to bake tonight, and wow I was completely blown away by how well they came out. I bulk fermented for 75hrs and balled them for 23hrs at 35*F. Then let them proof for 2.5hrs before bake.

The crumb was absolutely perfect for me, and honestly i'm not sure where to progress from here. I don't know what to focus on improving. It could certainly have used some more char on the bottom, but the crumb was very tender, airy, and had the ever slightest crunch.

• 1st pie: Basic margherita, this was my guinea pig one in case anything went wrong
  • 2cd pie: Mozzarella di bufala, homemade sauce, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. It was supposed to be a white pie but I got side tracked and accidentally added sauce :(
  • 3rd pie: White pie: Mozzarella di bufala, ricotta cheese, red pepper, EVOO, and fresh basil

I made a spreadsheet in order to document all of my pizzas which can be viewed and found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JBlw3gk-aMD23iaYMwGEunf-68RPp-pdh9tQiSv0l50/edit?usp=sharing

the crumb looks very spectacular. i'm guessing you're cooking at lower temps?
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 01:03:23 AM »
Depends on your classification of low temperature. 700*F was the launch temp for all of them. Although next time I will definitely kick it up to maybe 760ish

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 01:37:01 AM »
Depends on your classification of low temperature. 700*F was the launch temp for all of them. Although next time I will definitely kick it up to maybe 760ish

For what it's worth my launch temp hovers between 750 and 850 on the bottom stone for launch.   I think you'll be pleased with a few more degrees in the stones.

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:50:58 AM »

For what it's worth my launch temp hovers between 750 and 850 on the bottom stone for launch.   I think you'll be pleased with a few more degrees in the stones.

Yes I'm definitely going to try a higher temp next time. Get a faster bake time and hopefully a better undercarriage.

Next bake is planned for Tuesday. Everything will be the same except the fermentation time. I'm going to make the dough on Sunday, so 24 bulk 24 balled at 37 degrees. I think I will make a big batch and have pizza thought the week, pull a dough ball out each day and see how the flavor improves.

pizzapan