Author Topic: GG Napoletana (Gustavsen Grill)  (Read 1947 times)

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
Re: GG Napoletana (Gustavsen Grill)
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
OMG....your making it tough on me.....now I understand why you don't want to open the dome while turning Craig

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
A few 85 sec SD pies. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 04:44:42 PM »
Pretty awesome and two of my favorites!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
KAAP? Dough ball weight?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
Agree, Chau, which dough do you like best ... ? Which is easiest to bake....? Is there a big difference......?

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
KAAP? Dough ball weight?

Yes KAAP and 235gm. 

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
Agree, Chau, which dough do you like best ... ? Which is easiest to bake....? Is there a big difference......?

Willard, each style has its's own merits,  NY is easier but both are pretty easy to bake in this oven.  No big difference other than NP bakes faster.  In both styles, the pies bake pretty evenly once you figure out what temp to launch it at and how high to turn up the flame.

Offline Jajo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
Awesome pizzas Jackie and Craig.  But, that's not surprising coming from you guys.  Jackie, nice cup by the way :)

I just bought a certain grill (won't name it), and after 10 minutes, it got to about 730 degrees.  I'm going to try making a Neo on there and see how it works out.  Hopefully I can get the temps even higher. 

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 01:40:35 AM »
Thanks and good luck jajo. 

I tried to make NP using coals and gas in the GG with limited success.  Pies weren't bad but took too long to bake.  These were approaching 2 min.  And that's with coals burning hot and the burner underneath at full blast.  Flames were licking the stone too.

The burner didn't really help Bc the coals were blocking the convection current.  To do NP in this oven, you need the strong convection current created by the burner.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:31:25 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »
These were 63%HR GM Neapolitan, 2.8% salt, 0.024% IDY, 36+12 @ 62F. 235g balls in wood box. Bake times were 75s +/-. One half turn halfway through the bake. They were good pies - nice flavor and very tender. My wife even said they were good which is rare. Stone temps were 680-720F. It needs to be 720-750F. This is probably stating the obvious, but the GG cooks differently from the BS and both cook very differently from a WFO at NP temps. The intense convection in the GG and BS is harder on the cheese and other toppings than the more gentle IR of a WFO. At NY temps there is not much of a difference, however the difference is magnified significantly as you increase the heat.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:56:00 AM by TXCraig1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »
More:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:52:39 AM by TXCraig1 »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
I applaud buth of you, even thow you are taking my chopper for supersonic flights !! Ha....
Nice looking pies. You all impress me. Im gonna have at it soon just wait.

Chau, nice R&D.....it proves that the charcoal and gas need to be segregated. The LP burner has a fixed path in the middle which leaves the two back corners vacant. My hunch is to stack the charcoal so it's not co mingling and competing with the charcoal. The two vacant corners and s small strip in the back won't impede the burner but should augment it.....just my initial  thoughts.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Beautiful pies Craig.  Willard, for my last pie, I ended up moving the coals towards the front so the burner could breathe.  I got a 60sec pie, but I'm not sure there was enough difference in the end pie to warrant the use of coal for NP. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »
Very nice Chau. I love the undercarriage you are getting. What was your formula and work flow for that last batch? Stone temp?

Offline rsaha

• Still waiting for the "aha"
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »
These were 63%HR GM Neapolitan, 2.8% salt, 0.024% IDY, 36+12 @ 62F. 235g balls in wood box. Bake times were 75s +/-. One half turn halfway through the bake. They were good pies - nice flavor and very tender. My wife even said they were good which is rare. Stone temps were 680-720F. It needs to be 720-750F. This is probably stating the obvious, but the GG cooks differently from the BS and both cook very differently from a WFO at NP temps. The intense convection in the GG and BS is harder on the cheese and other toppings than the more gentle IR of a WFO. At NY temps there is not much of a difference, however the difference is magnified significantly as you increase the heat.

Why IDY and not your usual starter formulation?

I found I burned the pizza badly when I let it go 30 seconds (although I was higher temp which probably had a lot to do with it). Where are you putting your burner (front to back and top to bottom)?

Always state the obvious please - much easier for dummies like me to figure out ;D. I never thought about IR vs convection but now you mention it, it makes perfect sense. I wonder if that's why I get better results on the 2stone over the BS - more thermal mass maybe?

On the subject of stating the obvious - beautiful work as always
Romain

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 12:14:52 AM »
Why IDY and not your usual starter formulation?

I found I burned the pizza badly when I let it go 30 seconds (although I was higher temp which probably had a lot to do with it). Where are you putting your burner (front to back and top to bottom)?

I got tired of feeding the starter, so I put it in the fridge. I didn't get it warmed up in time for this batch.

I was messing with the burner to see how placement changed things. All the pies were either at the lowest or second lowest notch, and the burner was in the front, middle, and back at one time or another. I'm still not sure what is best.

I'm curious to hear Chau's thoughts on burner placement.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »
Very nice Chau. I love the undercarriage you are getting. What was your formula and work flow for that last batch? Stone temp?

Thanks Craig, now that I have the ability to cook NP pies, I'm refocusing my efforts in this style to try and get better.   

100% Caputo pizzeria, 60% water, 0.125% CY, 2.8% salt, 235gm each.  I origally intended to do a 12+12 bulk and ball at 60F, but could not bake so I had to refridgerate for an additional 20hours, and RT proof for a few hours before baking. 

I did notice that I had the run the stone temp a bit higher at 750+ to get a better color on the undercarriage. 

As burner placement, I have the burner on the fourth notch down from the stone .  I usually place the burner center stone until 680 or so and keep it there.  I will assemble the pie and then, push the burner towards the very back and turn it up almost to full blast.   Recheck the temps and rotate the stone prior to launch.   After the bake, I will pull the burner back to center and back the flame down until I'm ready to bake again.

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
Made a few more pies today.  These were made with Caputo, 60% water, 0.08% CY, and 2.8 % salt.  24h bulk/14hr ball at 60F.  235gm each.
Margherita 70sec.  Loaded too hot at 780F
Fresh figs, blue cheese, EVOO, fig jam 80sec.  Floor still too hot. 
Marinara 80 sec. Perfect bake. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:36:03 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
Marinara 80 sec. Perfect bake.

Spectacular!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
YUM!!
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
Chau, the bottom two are awesome....as would be expected from you :-)

I did a similar pizza with figs and blue cheese a couple of weeks ago.

One of the pizzas I'm going to try soon is a whole wheat and rye thin (rolled out) cracker crust marinara with lots of garlic, fresh oregano and pepper infused oil. I could easily have eaten up the whole marinara you posted.

Offline Napolizza

• Perfecting my pie!
GG Napoletana (Gustavsen Grill)
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Chau those look freaking amazing. My mouth is watering.... And pizza isn't until Tuesday :/ What was the diameter on those?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:50:31 PM by Napolizza »

pizzapan