Author Topic: A Blackstone Down Under  (Read 21944 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: A Blackstone Down Under
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Dylan,

Awesome pies!

Norma

That pretty much says it all.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
Dylan,

You're spinning some mean disks there. May I ask what the finished gram weight is of your individual  balled doughs are?

Thanks,
Roman

Thanks Roman, these were 250g balls, although I didn't actually weigh these after mixing so they'll be + or - a few grams.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
yum Dylan! they look awesome..  really good.. I like the taste of the classic cheese. I had the same problem with the shredded as well but tasted great. I did what Craig told me and cut slices of a small block about 1/16" and then cut them in like 3/4' squares. Worked very well for me. as this the 64%?  Ah...sorry just saw was 63%.. ;D awesome pies bro.... ;D As usual....

Thanks, will try the cuts on low moisture cheese next time I use it.  And on to 64% or so next time.

Dylan,

Awesome pies!

Norma
That pretty much says it all.

Thanks!  The funghi never fails to please around here.

Offline moose13

« Reply #363 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Looks awesome man!

Offline rsaha

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #364 on: August 18, 2014, 11:38:42 PM »
Thanks man, the oven sure isn't a slouch!

On the flour front, as much as I wanted a local supermarket flour to be great for pizza, I'm just feeling that the texture hasn't been the same since I ran out of 5 Stagioni.  So, I'm restocking with 5 Stag.   I'd go for more Caputo in a heartbeat but I can get the 5 Stagioni locally for half the price via a restaurant down the road.   I'd also love to try some Polselli Classica at some stage but its proving impossible to track down.

Nice to hear that the Polselli is worthy. It's about all we can get here in Ottawa in anything bigger than a 1 kg bag. I've been chasing the Caputo (very hard to find) but the Polselli is easy to come by. I'm just starting out on pizza and I don't really have any reference. Very little on this forum about it...

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #365 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:47 PM »
I suspect that Polselli isn't easy  for everyone here to obtain so it doesn't get much airtime, but don't think it will hold you back at all.  The best pizza I ever tasted used Polselli.

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #366 on: August 18, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
Beautiful pies, thanks for posting the photos of the skins.  I love the charred micro blisters that you're getting, along with the few random larger bubbles. I'm trying to get the same, but not quite there yet.  My workflow looks similar to yours and my oven set up is about the same, so hopefully it is just a matter of time.
It's evolution, baby

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #367 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »
Beautiful pies, thanks for posting the photos of the skins.  I love the charred micro blisters that you're getting, along with the few random larger bubbles. I'm trying to get the same, but not quite there yet.  My workflow looks similar to yours and my oven set up is about the same, so hopefully it is just a matter of time.

Thanks Jason!   The charring is mainly a combination of sufficient fermentation and then baking with enough heat intensity to produce the char.  I've also noticed that different starters and different flours produce slightly different results, and dough rising and handling plays a big part.   I do also wonder whether my hand-mixing makes a difference compared with most people's machine-mixed dough.  The leoparding in some ways is a bit of a signature of all the factors from the mix to the bake.  But it's not an end in itself.

I'm not especially happy with my fermentation the last few bakes since I moved out of the old shack, they've been under-fermented.  They still look and taste ok, edible, but I'm way off my game.

Your pies are looking really good, looks like you have things under control, and if it tastes good it is good!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #368 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »
I'm not especially happy with my fermentation the last few bakes since I moved out of the old shack, they've been under-fermented.  They still look and taste ok, edible, but I'm way off my game.

This really makes my point that everyone's situation is unique. There are so many variables, many of which are not obvious, that replicating someone's procedure does not necessarily lead to replicating their results. In almost all cases, you must tweak and experiment, and tweak so more to hit your target in your unique situation.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
In almost all cases, you must tweak and experiment, and tweak so more to hit your target in your unique situation.

If there's a "secret" to making good pizza I'm pretty sure this is it.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #370 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:07 AM »
So a few things happen consistently when I'm cooking for guests... my photography takes a back seat, my usually-roundish pizzas become decidedly oblong and scrappy, and I run low on gas.  Ah well.

All that notwithstanding this week's bakes went down nicely.  Half a dozen pies, and while they weren't the most photogenic bunch, these were some of the most pillowy textured pies I've slung, the margheritas in particular (made 3, only photographed one) were up there with the best I've managed taste wise.

Formula: 6x 250g balls - 5Stagioni: 63%,2.75%,6%SD 10h+18h @60f-70f

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
Deyum to you to bro.... they look awesome..  i could eat for breakfast.....I think your ready to snatch the pebble..... :-D

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Hah!  I don't think I'll be snatching anything but I've been wondering how close I can get with a clone using the BS after seeing yours getting closer every week.    I'll track me down some Caputo and some little proofing tubs.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Hah!  I don't think I'll be snatching anything but I've been wondering how close I can get with a clone using the BS after seeing yours getting closer every week.    I'll track me down some Caputo and some little proofing tubs.

Maybe i could mail you some..... ;D  Let me check into that..

c.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
They look really soft an pillowy. I love that mushroom pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #375 on: August 24, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
They look really soft an pillowy. I love that mushroom pie.

Watch out Dylan, i think he's baiting you...  the master is messing with you... :o The pie is awesome but i feel he is up to something... ::)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #376 on: August 24, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
Maybe i could mail you some..... ;D  Let me check into that..

c.

We shipped our father in law some soapstone ice 'cubes' some whiskey glasses and a cask of his favorite Laphroaig, some local OR salt, OR chocolate, etc., from OR to NZ via DHL for fathers day. It weighed approx. 11 lbs in a fairly basic box 10x 16 x 8 (i think) I want to say it was @ $62.00 to ship it with minimal insurance. No one was there to sign for it when it arrived.... wait for it.... so DHL shipped it back to us in the US without contacting either us or the local destination. International shipping is expensive & "interesting!"
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline parallei

« Reply #377 on: August 24, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

All that notwithstanding this week's bakes went down nicely.  Half a dozen pies, and while they weren't the most photogenic bunch, these were some of the most pillowy textured pies I've slung, the margheritas in particular (made 3, only photographed one) were up there with the best I've managed taste wise.

Molto Bello ;D

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #378 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
Molto Bello ;D

I had to Google that, thanks!

I'm looking into a source of Caputo in Australia that might be a little easier to ship here.  Don that sounds like a let real down!

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #379 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:36 PM »
At least my tomatoes are cheap. Love the flavour of these.

pizzapan