Author Topic: First Neapolitan, would like advice  (Read 810 times)

Offline M.Feliberty

• I Love Pizza!
First Neapolitan, would like advice
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Made my first Neapolitan this past weekend and although it did not turned out extremely bad, I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer.

Dough
100% Caputo 00 Chef's Flour
60% hydration
1.4% ishia starter
3% salt

24 hour bulk fermentation, 24 hour balled fermentation. Fermented in cooler with frozen water bottle inside, changed bottle every 12 hours (Craig's method).
Cooked on Blackstone at around 800 degrees Fahrenheit (lower stone temp) for 90 seconds

Few problems I would like to address:
Even though I decided to go a bit low on hydration with 60%, the dough still came out very soft. When stretching the balls I had to be very careful because of how soft the dough felt.
Should I just go lower on hydration? I do live in an extremely humid area so I'm not sure if this is a factor that would affect hydration.
And even though I fermented in a cooler using Craig's method, I did not have an actual thermometer to measure the exact temperature at all times and outside temperature was quite hot.
Could the changes in temperature may have caused the softness in my dough?

I fermented the dough balls in stack-able stainless steel round containers like the ones used on some pizzerias and lightly oiled the insides of the containers before putting the balls in. However, the dough stuck really badly to the bottom of the containers which, affected the roundness of my pizza.
Not sure if I should oil the containers more liberally, wouldn't too much oil affect the outcome while cooking the pizza?

For those of you who use a Blackstone, how do you maintain consistency in the oven's temperature once you reach the desired temperature? It seemed like it gradually went up pretty fast and even after lowering the flame the temperature to low kept going up which made me worry about the bottom stone getting too hot.

I've tried to post some pictures, not sure if I did it correctly so hopefully they show up.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: First Neapolitan, would like advice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »
I think it looks really good, first time or otherwise.

Caputo that is rested in balls for 24 hours is very soft. You could back off the hydration a couple more points, but it would likely help less than you would think. I'd suggest first trying 36 hours in bulk and 12 in balls. This gives the gluten less time to relax and will make for a more elastic dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline M.Feliberty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
I think it looks really good, first time or otherwise.

Caputo that is rested in balls for 24 hours is very soft. You could back off the hydration a couple more points, but it would likely help less than you would think. I'd suggest first trying 36 hours in bulk and 12 in balls. This gives the gluten less time to relax and will make for a more elastic dough.

Thanks for the feedback Craig!

I'll try the 36 bulk 12 ball fermentation next time to see how it impacts my end result.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Pizza looks damn good! I assume your first Neapolitan isn't your first pizza!  :pizza:
Ryan

Offline M.Feliberty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
Pizza looks damn good! I assume your first Neapolitan isn't your first pizza!  :pizza:

Thanks!

You're right, it isn't my first pizza but definitely my first Neapolitan, first time using a sourdough starter and, first time baking at very high temperatures. Only as of recent I've become interested in Neapolitan pizza and have gotten an oven that can reach the needed temperatures for that style. And, I have to say that even though it takes a bit more work and planning than what's required for some other styles I've done in the past, I really love it.

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
That is a great first effort! I'm not qualified to comment on your formula or management, but perhaps lining bottom of your stainless container with parchment paper would make it easier to get your dough balls out. Once on your work surface you could just peel it off.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline M.Feliberty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:21 AM »
That is a great first effort! I'm not qualified to comment on your formula or management, but perhaps lining bottom of your stainless container with parchment paper would make it easier to get your dough balls out. Once on your work surface you could just peel it off.

That's an interesting idea, I've never tried that before so I can certainly give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks for your willingness to help!

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
Good looking pie!

Offline Harborganics

• Harborganics wood oven pizza trailer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »
thats a great looking pizza mate!. personally i dont use caputo as it is bloody expensive over here and i use my own mix of flour.
as someone mentioned before, i use dough trays with baking paper sprinkled with some flour, the dough balls lift off real easy
JACKO

Offline M.Feliberty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Good looking pie!

Thanks!

thats a great looking pizza mate!. personally i dont use caputo as it is bloody expensive over here and i use my own mix of flour.
as someone mentioned before, i use dough trays with baking paper sprinkled with some flour, the dough balls lift off real easy

Thanks, I can't find Caputo or any 00 flour here locally either but luckily I have been able to get it from some vendors though Amazon.com at times. I will definitely be trying the baking paper next time in an attempt to keep my dough balls from sticking.

wordpress