Author Topic: Sbarro's mall pizza  (Read 49054 times)

Offline Frank99ta

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sbarro's mall pizza
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, but I had a couple of questions.  Could you point me in the direction for figuring bakers percentages.  I've been making my own pizza for a long time, but I'm new to this board.  So, is your recipe for a NY style pizza or a standard Sbarro deep style?  Lastly, has anybody tried this recipe?
What's interesting is while I was making some dough for bagels, I was putting in my barley malt syrup wondering what it would do to my pizza dough?  It gives the bagels a really authentic taste to them.  Everybody whose had some of my bagels say they taste like NY bagels.  Then, I'm reading on here about it in the Sbarro pizza, so I'm definitely gonna give this a go maybe next week and let you guys know how it turns out.  I assume you guys are gonna cook it on a stone? 

Offline Frank99ta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2006, 09:41:16 PM »
One more thing, is the sauce recipe posted earlier in this thread close to the original?  Do they cook their pizza sauce does anybody know?? I've always been a fan of the uncooked pizza sauce, but that's just personal taste.  Waht do you guys think?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2006, 10:43:26 PM »
Frank99ta,

I calculated the baker's percents based on the information provided in Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2061.msg36172.html#msg36172. I then scaled the dough formulation down to a 24-ounce dough ball.

For purposes of the baker's percents, the flour is assigned a baker's percent of 100%. The baker's percents for the remaining ingredients are established by taking the ratio of the weight of each such ingredient to the weight of the flour. I'm sure I can point you to an article or post on baker's percents usage if you are interested.

I have not yet had a chance to try the dough formulation. Based on the use of 24 ounces of dough to make an 18" pizza, that strongly suggests a thin NY style. Ideally, it should be baked on a stone or tiles. My oven setup isn't equipped to do that so I would use an 18" screen in conjunction with a stone.

I personally don't have an opinion on the sauce recipe you mentioned.

I look forward to reading about your results. If you can post photos, so much the better.

Peter

Offline pizzatooth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »
Can you please share your Sbarro Pizza Sauce recipe with me.  I couldn't find it on this forum.  I would really appreciate it and if you could include the measurements that woulid be great.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »
One more thing, is the sauce recipe posted earlier in this thread close to the original?  Do they cook their pizza sauce does anybody know?? I've always been a fan of the uncooked pizza sauce, but that's just personal taste.  Waht do you guys think?

It's uncooked. 

Pete:  A pizza mold is a stainless steel equipment used by Sbarro as a pizza making tool to help pizza makers make a round pie with a nice crust.  You're right.  It's not needed, but it helps cut the learning curve on teaching someone how to make a good pie.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:55:02 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 03:51:06 AM »
Here's an example of a pizza mold.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 03:52:33 AM »
Here's what the dough looks like after using a pizza mold.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
RoadRunner,

Thanks for the photos. Is the dough shown upside down, or right side up? Is the pizza mold a specialized product made for Sbarro's or is it generally available? Thanks.

Peter

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
LOL I LOVE THAT - A playdough pizza mold!  :-D It is frustrating after all the practice I have thinking
I can throw a pretty nice pie than I go into a new place in my vast travels and watch some bloke
flinging dough around so perfect, thin, and round and mine in comparison looks like a downs syndrome
pizza :-D but then mine tastes better  >:D so who cares.

I wonder what that mold does for texture and density?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 07:15:36 PM »
RoadRunner,

Thanks for the photos. Is the dough shown upside down, or right side up? Is the pizza mold a specialized product made for Sbarro's or is it generally available? Thanks.

Peter

It's specially made for Sbarro (and they've used it for many years).  You place the dough skin-side down, so when you pop it out, the skin is on top.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
I wonder what that mold does for texture and density?

The dough generally comes out smoother with a nicer and more defined crust on the end.  Also, it helps pizza makers keep the round shape of the dough.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
Wow

That pizza mold thing is ahh...weird, but interesting at the same time. I've never seen anything like it.
The Sbarro's I worked at didn't use that thing, and they weren't using 10 years later when my brother-in-law worked there either  ???

RoadRunner? do you know if it's a current thing, somewhere within the past 10 years or so?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2007, 02:49:29 AM »
Wow

That pizza mold thing is ahh...weird, but interesting at the same time. I've never seen anything like it.
The Sbarro's I worked at didn't use that thing, and they weren't using 10 years later when my brother-in-law worked there either  ???

RoadRunner? do you know if it's a current thing, somewhere within the past 10 years or so?

It's been around for at least 10 years.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2007, 02:52:09 AM »
Mold in use:

Offline Brooklyn John

• Everyone loves Pizza
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 02:08:40 AM »
RoadPizza,
 That mold is really interseting. What size is it? Do you where I can buy one? I'd love to try it and see how it affects the consistency of the crust.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 07:49:25 AM »
RoadPizza,
 That mold is really interseting. What size is it? Do you where I can buy one? I'd love to try it and see how it affects the consistency of the crust.

As I said before, it's specially made for Sbarro.  It can only be ordered through one of their suppliers.  The catalog even has the wrong picture listed with it.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2007, 08:35:33 AM »
Having done a fair amount of legwork to come up with a possible Sbarro’s dough clone formulation, I decided to give the dough formulation a try. For this effort, I decided to use the King Arthur Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour (I would have preferred All Trumps or equivalent flour), non-diastatic barley malt syrup, and lard. The specific dough formulation was as follows:

Flour (100%):
Water (56%):
ADY (0.25%):
Salt (2%):
Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2.22%):
Lard (2.5%):
Total (162.97%):
427.94 g  |  15.09 oz | 0.94 lbs
239.65 g  |  8.45 oz | 0.53 lbs
1.07 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.28 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
8.56 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.53 tsp | 0.51 tbsp
9.5 g | 0.34 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.36 tsp | 0.45 tbsp
10.7 g | 0.38 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.47 tsp | 0.82 tbsp
697.41 g | 24.6 oz | 1.54 lbs | TF = N/A

To prepare the dough, I used the new KitchenAid dough method that I have been experimenting with and described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg40412.html#msg40412 (Reply 67) . The finished dough was quite stiff, which I anticipated due to the relatively low hydration (56%) for a high-gluten flour. It also had a light tan color due to the non-diastatic barley malt syrup, which is a very dark colored syrup. The dough was cold fermented in the refrigerator for 24 hours, and then brought to room temperature to warm up—a period of about 3 hours. Once ready, the dough was shaped and stretched to 18”. The dough was moderately extensible, as I expected because of the weight of the dough and the effects of gravity, but it was of good handling quality with uniform thickness and easy to stretch out to the desired size. The skin was then dressed using amounts of sauce (8 ounces), mozzarella cheese (13 ounces, shredded), dried oregano and grated Romano cheese as recommended in the Sbarro’s article I referenced earlier in this thread. The pizza was topped with sautéed sliced mushrooms and pepperoni slices.

Since my pizza stone cannot handle an 18” pizza, I used a combination of an 18” pizza screen and my stone. I dressed the pizza on the screen and baked it at the second-from-the-top oven rack position of my oven, and once the crust firmed up and the upper crust and the cheese started to brown I shifted the pizza off of the screen onto the stone (at the lowest oven rack position), which I had preheated for about an hour at around 500-550 degrees F. The time on the screen was around 6-7 minutes, and the time on the stone was about 2 minutes.

The photos below show the finished pizza. The pizza turned out quite well, with good crust coloration and flavor. The rim was not as light and airy as I prefer but the crust did have a decent oven spring, along with a few large random bubbles. Next time, I would be inclined to increase the hydration to over 60% and, for better crust flavor, use a longer cold fermentation time, possibly 3 or more days. I think also that I would also substitute IDY for ADY and also use vegetable oil in lieu of the lard, which did not appear to me to offer clear taste or texture advantages over oil. I believe that Sbarro’s itself is now using vegetable oil.

What was really impressive is the size of the pizza itself--18”. It is a monster of a pizza compared with the others I make and really stands out from the crowd.

Peter

Offline petesopizza

• In search of the perfect dough.
Re: Sbarro's mall pizza Molds
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2007, 09:22:44 PM »
There must be a supplier who sells them. A chain called Papa Gino's up in Mass uses them also. I'll be busy googling it and if I find it I'll post a link.

Pete
Someday I will make money from this obsession.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2007, 06:57:16 AM »
I think also that I would also substitute IDY for ADY and also use vegetable oil in lieu of the lard, which did not appear to me to offer clear taste or texture advantages over oil. I believe that Sbarro’s itself is now using vegetable oil.

Soy bean oil works much better.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2007, 09:27:30 AM »
RoadPizza,

Do you know offhand whether Sbarro's still uses a liquid nondiastatic malt? I saw a frozen square Sbarro's pizza in a Wal-Mart recently, and one of the ingredients listed was dry malt. I assumed that it was nondiastatic malt. Of course, there were a lot of other additives and conditioners listed that undoubtedly are considered necessary for a pizza that is to be sold frozen in supermarkets. My recollection is that the fat in the dough was soybean oil, and possibly a bit of olive oil. I didn't really analyze the ingredients list all that carefully because I assumed that the supermarket pizza would be different than what is sold in the Sbarro's stores.

Peter