Author Topic: Kenji likes the baking steel  (Read 20190 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Kenji likes the baking steel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
Nice write up by Kenji. I do have to say we've been discussing the use of steel since 2010 but it's good to see Slice catching up. :angel:
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
Nice write up by Kenji. I do have to say we've been discussing the use of steel since 2010 but it's good to see Slice catching up. :angel:
Don

And yet not a single person here thought of marketing it. Sad.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Craig... (holds "L" on forehead)... thanks.  :'(
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »
No personal opion here, but is Kenji Lopez Alt a guy or a girl?  I don't follow Slice mutch: but just wondering, not that it matters for a person with all the hoopla as a name.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

scott123

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
And yet not a single person here thought of marketing it. Sad.

And yet not a single person here thought of charging people three times the money for what they can get locally. Happy.

scott123

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
No personal opion here, but is Kenji Lopez Alt a guy or a girl?  I don't follow Slice mutch: but just wondering, not that it matters for a person with all the hoopla as a name.

Kenji is a guy.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 12:21:57 AM »
Scott:

In the comments, you upbraided Kenji for misleading his readers on a four minute bake time using the 1/4 inch steel, because he has a "freakishly hot oven."  What temp does he bake at, vs. the 550 we home plebes have to deal with?

scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »
Mike, I don't know what exact temp Kenji is baking at, but, I do know, from the results the members are getting here with 1/4" steel, that it's not 575 or lower.  I just took another look at his Reinhart inspired  ::) recipe

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

and noticed that he's working with 2% sugar and 5% oil, both of which will encourage browning at lower temps, so maybe he might be close to 575, but I kind of doubt it.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »
Scott:

I started to read Kenji's NY style recipe from the link you posted, and stopped at this line:

New York pizzas take between 12 and 15 minutes to bake.

???

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:07 AM »
Hells Bells, I live in TX, and know better than that, ??? ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

scott123

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:18 AM »
Scott:

I started to read Kenji's NY style recipe from the link you posted, and stopped at this line:

???

Yes. If you look at the comment section, I upbraided Kenji there as well. That interchange actually earned me the cyberstalker that initiated the whole Reinhart dialog. Thank you 11USCCH7!  ;D

Kenji and I have what you might call a generational disconnect when it comes to defining NY style.  For many younger New Yorkers, NY style is 12-15 minute McPizza.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »
Yes. If you look at the comment section, I upbraided Kenji there as well.

I hadn't noticed your comments on that thread, as you were unusually tardy in getting in there.  I did notice that you didn't waste any time ripping into Andris Lagsdin, the purveyor of Baking Steel, in an earlier thread.  You don't take any prisoners, do you?   >:D

scott123

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
I hadn't noticed your comments on that thread, as you were unusually tardy in getting in there.  I did notice that you didn't waste any time ripping into Andris Lagsdin, the purveyor of Baking Steel, in an earlier thread.  You don't take any prisoners, do you?   >:D

Yes, I'm not too happy with Mr Lagsdin.  I can kind of understand Kenji not being entirely aware of our activities on this forum, but if you're going to sell a steel plate for baking pizza on, the LEAST you can do is google

steel plate pizza

and see what people have to say about it.

Regardless of how hard I was on him, it looks like some of what I said got through.  He's now offering a 1/2" thick version. Somehow I kind of doubt that I'll be seeing any cut of those proceeds.  ;D

At the end of the day, though, even if he's offering a better thickness of plate, if it's 4 times the price what people could be paying locally, it's still really scummy, imo.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »
I'm the only person I know, aside from via this forum, who would repurpose random junk for cooking on.  For 90% of people, unless it came from a store, with directions, they would never think of using it.

Case in point:  while on a camping / diving trip, I was cooking burgers over the fire, and realized I forgot to bring onions.  I walked 10 steps away, picked some nice big chives, put them on a cutting board and sliced the bulbs up. My friends looked at me aghast.  "What the hell are you putting on the burgers?!" was the kindest comment I got. Seriously, I had to explain that chives were a kind of wild onion.  No one believed me - until they tried it.

Sure, baking steel bought in a store will be overpriced. Does that matter?  Same damn people buy Pampered Chef products and think they're stylin.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »
Pampered Chef is some of the most over priced stuff out there. Not that it's not fair quality, but WOW, they sure got a spell on people!!

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

scott123

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:54 AM »
Sure, baking steel bought in a store will be overpriced. Does that matter?  Same damn people buy Pampered Chef products and think they're stylin.

I don't really mind someone selling a raw commodity to consumers with a markup.  It's the size of the markup that I find offensive, though.  Retail baking stones are probably double the price of kiln shelves.  Doubling is reasonable. But quadrupling (or possibly even quintupling?).  That crosses a line.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
Question.  I am moving very soon,  and leaving my WFO behind,  at least for a few years as I am leasing out my house.  Obviously,  at times this will be very painful,  and cause serious cravings.  I am debating steel vs silicon carbide for my new electric oven.  I had read a while back about someone having a hard time finding a source for silicon carbide.  Are there trusted sources for both types of plate that people have had good luck with?  I just want to make sure whatever I select is as safe as possible,  and if it ends up being steel,  that it is not covered in metalworking residue.  Thanks -Marc

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
John,  thanks,  I wasn't using the right search.  now the big question.  It looks like the SiC shelf price may have dropped,  Unless RN had included shipping in the 127 price.  I was expecting to see 127+ shipping.  Now the big question.  Electric oven,  convection option,  550 max temp,  no more information yet.  Steel or Silicon,  and why?  Thanks -Marc

pizzapan