Author Topic: Jeff Zeak answers questions about freezing leftover dough in PMQ  (Read 1092 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Jeff Zeak answers questions about freezing leftover dough in PMQ
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
Jeff Zeak wrote about freezing different kinds of pizza doughs in the September 2012 edition of PMQ Magazine.

http://www.pmqmag-digital.com/pmqmag/201209#pg16

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Jeff Zeak answers questions about freezing leftover dough in PMQ
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
Norma,

That is an interesting article. I read it in the context of the frozen Mellow Mushroom dough balls that we made, including increasing the amount of yeast substantially to offset the potential loss of leavening power due to freezing the dough. The article also answers the question I had about whether the dough should be subjected to some fermentation before freezing. According to Jeff Zeak, the answer is apparently no.

I think we handled the Mellow Mushroom frozen dough matter correctly.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Jeff Zeak answers questions about freezing leftover dough in PMQ
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
Peter,

I wasn't thinking in context of what you decided was the best course to make the frozen MM dough balls from Jeff Zeakís article when I was reading that article by Jeff Zeak, but you were right in deciding to increase the amount of yeast and also to defrost the dough balls in the fridge.  The MM dough balls always worked out well for me using your methods.  I also think we handled the dough correctly.

I was thinking when I read the article about my own dough balls at market and if I have any leftover at the end of the day, how well they hold up for me if frozen, then defrosted in my pizza fridge at market.  I usually donít have any problems with those dough balls either.   

Maybe that article from Jeak Zeak will help someone that wants to take dough balls on a trip for maybe a day, or wants to know more about trying to freeze dough balls. 

I donít know if you read the articles from Jeff Zeak and Tom Lehmann in PMQ Pizza Magazine, but each time I get a PMQ magazine usually there is a good article from either Jeff Zeak, or Tom Lehmann. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!