Author Topic: Clotted Cream  (Read 224 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Clotted Cream
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
I've never had eggs benedict though. That may be something I need to cook up for supper one night. Never made english muffins either though, so it would be all new to me.

The key the hollandaise. I know you wouldn't, but I'll say it anyway, please don't use a packaged mix. I like this ratio. It is much more lemony than most:

2 egg yolks
3Tbs lemon juice
Pinch cayenne
1 stick butter

Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
Make the easiest fresh English muffins ever with starter discard - you just need English muffin rings (sometimes called crumpet rings) which you can order from Amazon or King Arthur.  I'm sure you can make them from cans too.  The key is to have everything ready before you mix the batter ingredients, as you want to use it as soon as ingredients are combined.   

When your starter is ready to be fed (even straight out of the fridge for those that keep it there) pull out your discard and put into a bowl.  Grease your rings lightly and place them on a lightly greased griddle or skillet. To each cup of starter you have in your bowl, sprinkle over the surface a scant teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Whisk these in thoroughly.  Fill the rings with about 1/4 inch of batter and cook it over low heat until the tops are set and full of holes. Remove the rings and flip the muffins over for a minute or two.

After they've finished cooking in the skillet, split them and then pop them in the toaster to brown and crisp.  You can also cool them, bag them, and freeze them to bring out and toast later.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
Thank you Robyn!  I will definitely try this as soon as I get some starter.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Sounds great Craig, extra acidity is something I always welcome with something that rich. I've seen the pre-packaged stuff the other day and thought about how it would probably be the same thing as trying to make aus ju from a packet vs. real meat drippings or Jello pudding vs a real egg based recipe. I've read people talking how hard hollandaise is to pull off, but tempering egg mixtures has never been an issue for me, or at least not yet.

And thank you Robyn, that literally sounds as easy or even easier than making biscuits. I don't have rings but I have plenty of tuna cans I can empty out. Or I may go find rings, they can't be that much.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
I've read people talking how hard hollandaise is to pull off, but tempering egg mixtures has never been an issue for me, or at least not yet.

It's not hard at all. My 8 and 10 year olds make it all the time directly over the heat - no double boiler - no drawn butter - just mix up the egg yolks, lemon juice, and cayenne well, then melt in the butter slowly 1/2 at a time over a very low heat.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
They're pretty cheap on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3775-Muffin-Rings-Set/dp/B0001VQIHW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

or  http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-English-Muffin-Rings/dp/B0000CFME7/?tag=pizzamaking-20

But those are just sets of 4, and you'll want more than that, so either order a couple sets or the bigger set at King Arthur would be good if you were getting in on a free shipping offer:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/english-muffin-rings-set-of-12#4651S#

I have 8 and usually use them all when I'm making english muffins. 

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:13 PM »
I've seen the pre-packaged stuff the other day and thought about how it would probably be the same thing as trying to make aus ju from a packet vs. real meat drippings or Jello pudding vs a real egg based recipe. I've read people talking how hard hollandaise is to pull off, but tempering egg mixtures has never been an issue for me, or at least not yet.

If you decide to make it from scratch and end up not liking it, next time try the pre-packaged stuff from knorr. Its a totally different taste. Personally i like a more buttery cream sauce then a lemony zesty sauce.

There is a french breakfast ( cant remember name ) i used to always get at this B&B that would serve a bed of homefries with a thick slice of canadian bacon on top, then a dippy egg (over easy) ontop, then a white buttery cream sauce poured overtop with a side of toast to dip into the egg yolk and sauce. It was amazing and eggs benedict is the only thing that comes close to it. Unfortunitely they closed and turned the place into a bar/hotel.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
It's not hard at all. My 8 and 10 year olds make it all the time directly over the heat - no double boiler - no drawn butter - just mix up the egg yolks, lemon juice, and cayenne well, then melt in the butter slowly 1/2 at a time over a very low heat.

Ha, your boys are picking up from you. I'm glad to hear it can be done over direct heat, I hate double boiling things. I always make my custards directly and still haven't had the need to push them through a sieve yet. I have a feeling I'm gonna want to spread this stuff on everything. FeCheF saying the homefry and Canadian bacon dish makes me think it'll work on a lot of different things. Burgers? Lol.

And thank you so so much Robyn. I think 8 is a good idea too, especially since they freeze well. That's one of my usual bread requirements because usually I don't have time to whip out a loaf or bun, so out the freezer it needs to come.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »
Ha, your boys are picking up from you. I'm glad to hear it can be done over direct heat, I hate double boiling things. I always make my custards directly and still haven't had the need to push them through a sieve yet. I have a feeling I'm gonna want to spread this stuff on everything. FeCheF saying the homefry and Canadian bacon dish makes me think it'll work on a lot of different things. Burgers? Lol.

Some of my favorite things to put it on:
Steaks
Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Dungeness crab cakes (a Dungeness crab cake benedict with a sourdough english muffin, crab cake, poached egg, and hollandaise, is pretty much the bomb.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Some of my favorite things to put it on:
Steaks
Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Dungeness crab cakes (a Dungeness crab cake benedict with a sourdough english muffin, crab cake, poached egg, and hollandaise, is pretty much the bomb.

CL

Its good on lightly floured and braised frog legs.  :chef:

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/zakary-pelaccios-lamb-burgers-recipe.html

This looks pretty awesome. Get to make English muffins and hollandaise.