Author Topic: Any experienced hunters here that dress their own game?  (Read 133 times)

Offline FeCheF

Any experienced hunters here that dress their own game?
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
My brother got a 7. buck the other day and asked me to grind it all up for ground deer. So we removed most of the fat, bones, and silverskin and bagged it up and put it in the chest freezer. Well this morning i checked on it and theres still a bunch of meat in the bags that didnt freeze yet and dont exactly feel like its below 40F. Obviously the freezer is cold enough because some of the meat is frozen but where some meat got stacked ontop each other didnt freeze yet.

I read some people let the deer hang in a cool place days, even weeks before freezing. Id imagine these cool places are not 40F.

Should we toss 100+ lbs or is it still safe?

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: Any experienced hunters here that dress their own game?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
Should be still safe. Your nose will tell  you.  Does it smell good? 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
It'll get there. Takes a couple days to freeze that much mass. never been a fan of chest freezers. harder to keep organized. Spread the soft ones out a bit, you'll be fine, really. If you're going to toss it toss it my way. On second thought.....bad bad toss it.  I'll come and haul away bad meat for you.... :-

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Should be still safe. Your nose will tell  you.  Does it smell good?

Smells like deer. :-\

Alot is frozen in the bags so its hard to tell. I get that frozen meat smell. I think it masks the smell of meat thats good and bad. If that makes sense.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
It'll get there. Takes a couple days to freeze that much mass. never been a fan of chest freezers. harder to keep organized. Spread the soft ones out a bit, you'll be fine, really. If you're going to toss it toss it my way. On second thought.....bad bad toss it.  I'll come and haul away bad meat for you.... :-

jon

But doesnt it spoil if the meat was above 40F overnight? I was always under the impression meat can only stay at room temp for a 4 hours. Or does this rule not apply to a fresh kill?

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
Shot elk one day only to find the next day. Most if not all of the meat is usually good depending on the outside temp.  Have had meat spoil fast before too.  Your nose knows, if it smells like deer you are good to go.  Like mentioned before spread out the soft pieces and let them freeze.  Are you adding pork fat to the grind?  I have an employee that adds bacon turns out really good.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
Shot elk one day only to find the next day. Most if not all of the meat is usually good depending on the outside temp.  Have had meat spoil fast before too.  Your nose knows, if it smells like deer you are good to go.  Like mentioned before spread out the soft pieces and let them freeze.  Are you adding pork fat to the grind?  I have an employee that adds bacon turns out really good.

It was 70F the day he killed it. It probably was hanging on a tree packed with ice for atleast 6 hours before we finally got it inside and trim it up to fit in the chest freezer.

We kept hosing it down while it was hanging to keep the flies off and to remove any dirt or hair that was left after skinning. Maybe i am just worrying too much.

Its just it was a long day and not a cool day. And the fact that parts of the meat still isnt frozen 24 hours later scares me.

Now you say yours sat for a day in the woods makes me wonder. But what temp was it outside?

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
During archery sometimes in the 70's and up. If the deer was opened up it should be fine.

pizzapan